Axe FX II and Kemper Profiler (Yes, another one...please read!)

You sure? Part of knowing how to read is the application of hermeneutics. You made a large number of quotes taking small parts of what has been said, which leads me to believe it was not properly done so in full context.

Which an error in interpretation is a sign of poor reading and resulting from your fallacy in quoting out of context.

Thanks for the defense, but I really don't want this to be a contentious thing (for any reason; even a stupid one like shipping, or reading abilities).

I did go ahead and order a Kemper to try...should be here Thurs or Fri...and I'll pick up an Axe to try whenever they run a free shipping promo. I'll have 14 days to return the Kemper, which I'll do either way until I can check out the Axe, and then make a final decision.

I'm not gathering opinions so much to help me decide which one to buy, as much as to decide which one to keep. That is, I'm more interested in what will work better for me in the long run than which will sound great out of the box...I suspect both will sound awesome. But (as with a lot of gear), I want to get at the things that may start bothering me over time.

Last edited:
I use a different metric. The AxeFx gets you 100% of the tones available on an amp on a single amp type on the Axe. It's already all there. With the Kemper, you get a fraction of a percent of the amp per profile since it's a snapshot. The tone stacks don't accurately mimic the real thing. But I say go for the Kemper since you already are set on it. Definitely, just do it.

LOL, I am? That's actually not even a little true. In reality, at this point I actually suspect I'll end up with the Axe. I think the Kemper's amp/cab tones will be great out of the box, and I love the idea of being able to accurately capture the sounds of my amps (I love my amps, I just can't cart them around any more), but in the end I'll be frustrated by un-tweakability and the limited options/quality of their effects. Thanks for the assumption though.

Last edited:
I did go ahead and order a Kemper to try...should be here Thurs or Fri...and I'll pick up an Axe to try whenever they run a free shipping promo. I'll have 14 days to return the Kemper, which I'll do either way until I can check out the Axe, and then make a final decision.

I am glad to hear you are trying both before making a decision. After you compare I would love to hear back on what you chose and why :)

I am glad to hear you are trying both before making a decision. After you compare I would love to hear back on what you chose and why :)

Sure thing. It may be a while until I can try the Axe, but I'll post impressions of the Kemper for sure.

LOL, I am? That's actually not even a little true. In reality, at this point I actually suspect I'll end up with the Axe. I think the Kemper's amp/cab tones will be great out of the box, and I love the idea of being able to accurately capture the sounds of my amps (I love my amps, I just can't cart them around any more), but in the end I'll be frustrated by un-tweakability and the limited options/quality of their effects. Thanks for the assumption though.

Oh for some reason, I thought you were going for the Kemper since most would go for the one that they think captures the most accurate amp tone, and it seems like you think the Kemper does so for you. So my mistake if that's not what you are going for. I still think you should go for the Kemper and just return it if you are not satisfied.

Oh for some reason, I thought you were going for the Kemper since most would go for the one that they think captures the most accurate amp tone, and it seems like you think the Kemper does so for you. So my mistake if that's not what you are going for. I still think you should go for the Kemper and just return it if you are not satisfied.

I have a Kemper on the way, but the plan is to try it out, then return it until I can get an Axe to try (whenever they run a free shipping promo) and then I'll decide which one to pick up permanently.

After reading your post in the KPA forum I can further appreciate both the Kemper and your situation.

Also all of this Axe vs Kemper talk is great but your sound is only as good as your weakest link. I think that it is important to know what you will be playing out of/through (guitar cab, frfr, direct in, etc) because it will affect your sound using either unit. For example.. a lot of people love the Axe but hate it coming out of a guitar cab. Just another small thing to think about.

For me, playing it out of a guitar cabinet is pure bliss. I have heard that it is harder to remove the cabinet sounds from a Kemper if you want to play it out of a traditional cab.

I have a Kemper on the way, but the plan is to try it out, then return it until I can get an Axe to try (whenever they run a free shipping promo) and then I'll decide which one to pick up permanently.

right on man. MAKE RECORDINGS!, that way you have a physical record to refer when you get the Axe FX II :)

Don´t let the first impression fool you - i made a lot of times the experience that just by playing after unpacking the AXE or the Kemper, many people would go for the Kemper (but this also depends on the musical style, what I observed- rock,metal guys prefer AXE, bluesy,vox,fender guys the Kemper-at least at first sight) little realising what the Axe is capable of. I´m not stating my opinion - this is just what I observed, and I don´t know why!
You should spend some time with both of them to make a thorough evaluation. If you go very deep in the AXE you´ll probably find that sound- or feelwise the differences are minimal or none and in all the other points, the AXE is far superior.
So all in all you get what you pay for....

That roomy impression that the KPA gives might be that what the blues guys like on it. But except when you really play blues with your band exactly that part of the sound is eaten up by other instruments. You don't need that roomy impression for most of the styles. But it is tempting as long as you play alone. For me personally the quality of the highs is the most important part.

Are they shipping it for free?

I don't know, but guys like this is why people always get used items from online merchants. They buy it, try it, return it.

Musicians Friend will red flag you if it is a persistent thing. This is the main reason I no longer shop at MF. I was consistently getting stuff that had already been used.

I don't know, but guys like this is why people always get used items from online merchants. They buy it, try it, return it.

Musicians Friend will red flag you if it is a persistent thing. This is the main reason I no longer shop at MF. I was consistently getting stuff that had already been used.

I don't know how it is in the states, but here in the UK we have distance selling regulations, which gives anyone buying online (or mail order) a 7 day cooling off period. You can return a non-expirable product within those 7 days for any reason at all. Some companies make you pay return postage, and some don't. Some companies even extend it to 30 days.

Point being - from a UK perspective... I don't see anything wrong with buying to try. The law covers for it over here.

I don't know how it is in the states, but here in the UK we have distance selling regulations, which gives anyone buying online (or mail order) a 7 day cooling off period. You can return a non-expirable product within those 7 days for any reason at all. Some companies make you pay return postage, and some don't. Some companies even extend it to 30 days.

Point being - from a UK perspective... I don't see anything wrong with buying to try. The law covers for it over here.

Glad I do not live in the UK (even though my lineage is English).

When I spend big money for something new. I expect it to be new.

Glad I do not live in the UK (even though my lineage is English).

When I spend big money for something new. I expect it to be new.

Returned items are not allowed to be resold as new, and if a company does it, they're culpable legally speaking.

Returned items get sold as b-stock, with a small discount.

That's my understanding, but I don't see that as (necessarily) in Axe's favor. The benefit of the Kemper is that it captures the tone 100% based on a specific set of amp settings. The downside is, the more adjustments you make, the less it sounds like the original amp. OTOH, the Axe gets like 80-90% close to the overall sound of an amp, but with all settings intact and functional so you can dial it in to the exact amp tone; the same way you can on a "real" amp. Different approaches, each with strengths. Just not sure which will be better for me. I love my amps. But if I sell one of them, then need to reprofile because I want to change settings, am I out of luck?

Do you really care if your modeller sounds 100% like the real amp being modeled?
I never have.
I don't think any modeller will ever be able to 100% replicate any real-world amp anyway.
There's just too many variables.
All I care about is sounding really good and having a powerful small rig.

The reasons I use the Axe-FX are:
1. Pristine signal path with no need to compensate for capacitance loss due to long cable runs and/or non-true-bypass pedals and/or problems caused by or solved by buffer systems etc.
2. Form factor. Within my little 4-space rack I have all the power of what used to need a refrigerator-sized rack.
3. State-of-the-art pedal simulations and time-based rack effects.
4. Amp sims that sound as good or better than the best real amps in the world.
Pretty much every style of amp is represented in the Amp Type list from clean Fender to Hi-Gain Preamp Mesa amplifiers (and most solid state amps can be replicated too w/o necessarily even using an amp block).
5. Programabilty. And the routing options and effects triggering schemes in the Axe are unparalleled anywhere.
I sold my Mesa Triaxis rig when I bought my Ultra back in 2008.
The Ultra sounded better than my Triaxis rig even back then in my opinion.
Plus the Ultra rig was several orders of magnitude more versatile and powerful.
Cliff was one of the first preamp makers to include tube power amp simulations (clean and/or overdriven) in his preamp programs.
Up until the Standard, guitar preamps were just mimicking the preamp sections of guitar amps.
People seem to forget that and how revolutionary it was.
Guitarists could finally put their pristine time-based effects *after* the tube power amp (w/o needing to be using mics, a mixing console, and outboard gear in a studio to do that).
Up until then we had to use effects loops that sat right in between the preamp and the power amp so the power amp was destroying the sound of those pristine effects.
Show me any single real-world tube amp that can do that today and I'll probably buy that and use that instead of the Axe.
But it will also have to weigh as much or less than my little 4-space rack and will have to be just about as small and it will also have to have a bunch of stomp box sims built-in and a bunch of state-of-the-art time-based effects and state-of-the-art routing and effects switching over MIDI capabilities, etc., etc., etc.

If you really need 3 or 4 *exact* static sounds that 3 or 4 of your real amps can only produce the Kemper might actually be a better choice than the Axe for that (assuming those profiles already exist for those amps or you know how to shoot those profiles yourself) whether or not the Kemper nails those sounds 100%.
The Axe might also be able to get you as close to those 3 or 4 tones but it might be a few percent off because Cliff doesn't own those particular amps or may have chosen not to model them yet.
But obsessing over those 3 or 4 real amps and that one sound that each of them gets sounds really limiting to me.

Back
Top Bottom