Axe FX II after about 10 hours and comparisons with my other rigs.

ari

Inspired
Hey, I was fortunate to get on the list really early so my AXE FX came last thursday. Since then i've spent a long long time trying amp models through my home speakers, a powered carvin speaker that works great with some of my other rigs, and my mesa 50/50 power amp plus 1x12 cabs with celestions. I had the axe fx standard a few years ago, and its been a while since I heard one.

So what do I think? Its really impressive. Standout amp models for me are the Brownface, Shiva Clean, FAS Lead 1, Brit 800 is dead on, and I cant stop playing the euro uber! THe HBE, Cameron, and Deliverance More mode are also really cool. I'm not at the point that I can say I cant hear the difference between this and my triaxis rig, but I won't be able to come to any real conclusions until I gig with the thing. Anyone out there coming to the AXE FX from a mesa triaxis rig that can relate or offer advice about how to amplify it or get the AXE to be as "in your face" as possible? For the record I'm not a home studio guy but I do gig about 130 gigs a year so its all about the live sound for me

Is it not "in your face" with the 50/50?

One of the Graphic EQ options in or after the amp really seems to make a difference for me to make it sound comparable to my real amps.

Thanks chris. With the 50/50 I haven't had as much luck yet, but again I won't really know how that setup sound until I play it loud. Of course with home speakers it was great at low volumes too. When I turned the cab sims off everything got kind of redundant and with the sims it got bright. That's how the 50/50 is till you crank it. I will try the eq in he amp block!

I run my mesa at 6 vol/5 prec.. To get best balance between balls and a clean sound from it. Sounds killer with a pair of 2x12´s..

Can't you just straight away to PA ? I also have triaxis (no power amp) and would love know this as I will get the FX II next month. I don't gig but might need it at one point. :)

Hey, I actually often do run the triaxis direct to pa but always have a powered monitor too. I need something behind me for stage volume/front fill for most of my gigs. Kriig do you run the cab sims?

Update! I tried somethin unconventional today and I found my sound! Tried my Mesa 50/50 power amp with my pa speaker-an ev sx300. Figured that's basically what the atomic wedges are. Unreal. All the eq and punchiness concerns right outthe window. This is what the axe fx should sound like!! I also rediscovered the presets. Really nice. The expanding Delays preset may be the nicest clean tone I ever heard. So tube power with a good pa cab really works awesomely!

Update! I tried somethin unconventional today and I found my sound! Tried my Mesa 50/50 power amp with my pa speaker-an ev sx300. Figured that's basically what the atomic wedges are. Unreal. All the eq and punchiness concerns right outthe window. This is what the axe fx should sound like!! I also rediscovered the presets. Really nice. The expanding Delays preset may be the nicest clean tone I ever heard. So tube power with a good pa cab really works awesomely!

Very cool to hear you found your sound ari! Congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom