Axe-FX good for [Industrial] Metal, even compared to VHT?

How does the Axe-FX compare to the VHT SIG:X or UL when it comes to Metal?

• Tone sounds better.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

G.9

I've seen a lot of general rock examples for the Axe-FX [Ultra], but I'm wondering how this unit performs with Industrial Metal (e.g. Marilyn Manson, NIN).

I've also got several other questions:
1. I was considering a VHT SIG:X with a Line 6 M13 to achieve this kind of tone, but I prefer versatility and more presets; still, would the SIG, or Ultra-Lead blow away the tone of the Axe-FX high-gain models?
2. I'm wondering how a footswitch would work with such a versatile machine as well.
3. Due to space constraints, I was thinking of hooking the Axe-FX directly to a pair of powered studio monitors, KRK RP-5 G2's... will I not be able to get the full experience as say, with a power amp and guitar cab?

danielodland said:
Check out Clawfinger's and Tesseract's threads in the Recordings forum...here are a few links to some of Clawfinger's stuff. Not really NIN or Manson-ish, but gives you an idea about non-rock&roll sounds..

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2532
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1822
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2108

And here is something completely different, just included it because I really like it=)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=616
Those are some pretty epic clips... last wasn't metal, but I really enjoyed it anyway. I think that answers my questions when it comes to rock in general... this processor definitely delivers. However, I'd like to hear some Rammstein/NIN/Manson clips, and some opinions from VHT-owners.

I have also updated the initial post with some more questions.

Thank you for your input.

I don't think Clawfinger's stuff can be considered "rock in general" =) However:

G.9 said:
1. I was considering a VHT SIG:X with a Line 6 M13 to achieve this kind of tone, but I prefer versatility and more presets; still, would the SIG, or Ultra-Lead blow away the tone of the Axe-FX high-gain models?

I've only tried the VHT pitbull. I don't really think VHT is the most fit amps for that kind of sound you're asking about anyway. Maybe it'd pull off the Rammstein thing, but a lot of amps could do that. Therefore I'd say the Axe is perfect. Axe can definitely do those sounds.

G.9 said:
2. I'm wondering how a footswitch would work with such a versatile machine as well.

I'm using Rocktron All Access. Lots of people here use smaller and simpler switching systems. Any midi controller should work.

G.9 said:
3. Due to space constraints, I was thinking of hooking the Axe-FX directly to a pair of powered studio monitors, KRK RP-5 G2's... will I not be able to get the full experience as say, with a power amp and guitar cab?

Many people think the Axe works best with poweramp/cab. In my opinion it sounds MUCH better with FRFR, i.e. studio monitors. I use it at home with monitors and live/rehearsal with one JBL PRX 512 M powered monitor. However, you should know that any sound reproduction device working above a certain volume level will move more air, and thus giving more power to the sound. In other words, it works great on low levels and on high levels. IMHO you should try both. But whatever solution you choose, the Axe will deliver.

G.9 said:
danielodland said:
Check out Clawfinger's and Tesseract's threads in the Recordings forum...here are a few links to some of Clawfinger's stuff. Not really NIN or Manson-ish, but gives you an idea about non-rock&roll sounds..

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2532
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1822
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2108

And here is something completely different, just included it because I really like it=)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=616
Those are some pretty epic clips... last wasn't metal, but I really enjoyed it anyway. I think that answers my questions when it comes to rock in general... this processor definitely delivers. However, I'd like to hear some Rammstein/NIN/Manson clips, and some opinions from VHT-owners.

I have also updated the initial post with some more questions.

Thank you for your input.

BTW, don't have any clips like that. I know some guy did a cover of Sonne on Youtube. You should do a search.

I have a bandmate with a VHT Pitbull, which I have tried out pretty thoroughly (is that right spelling?) So I don't own one but I have played it a lot.

danielodland said:
I don't think Clawfinger's stuff can be considered "rock in general" =) However:

I've only tried the VHT pitbull. I don't really think VHT is the most fit amps for that kind of sound you're asking about anyway. Maybe it'd pull off the Rammstein thing, but a lot of amps could do that. Therefore I'd say the Axe is perfect. Axe can definitely do those sounds.

I'm using Rocktron All Access. Lots of people here use smaller and simpler switching systems. Any midi controller should work.

Many people think the Axe works best with poweramp/cab. In my opinion it sounds MUCH better with FRFR, i.e. studio monitors. I use it at home with monitors and live/rehearsal with one JBL PRX 512 M powered monitor. However, you should know that any sound reproduction device working above a certain volume level will move more air, and thus giving more power to the sound. In other words, it works great on low levels and on high levels. IMHO you should try both. But whatever solution you choose, the Axe will deliver.

Indeed... I guess I got a little lazy in trying to categorize all four clips at once :p

Alright, so so far I see no problem with the Axe-FX, and I'm pretty sure with all its effects, an industrial sound can be processed through somehow.

Concerning the speakers... I will probably be working more at low levels. I'm not working in a studio environment; walls are pretty thin, and I'm in a suburb.

G.9 said:
Concerning the speakers... I will probably be working more at low levels. I'm not working in a studio environment; walls are pretty thin, and I'm in a suburb.

Then you're looking for the right machine.

Oh, btw, Rammstein are 90-100% Mesa Dual (triple?) rectifier quad tracked, and the other 0-10% is the Sansamp PS-1. The Axe-FX does that very good. They mike the cab with one Neumann. Maybe a TLM49 about 4" away (at least the Mutter album, the only setup I've seen with my own eyes). As for Marilyn Manson: Main guitars shouldn't be too much problems. No clue about the "heavily processed" stuff though. Same with NIN. I know he's using plenty of ring modulating stuff on the "Ghost" album, but then again, no clue what effects he used. I can hear the L6 "plasticity" though. I've learned to loath that noice after five years of trying to get rid of it.
facepalm.gif

Clawfinger said:
G.9 said:

Oh, btw, Rammstein are 90-100% Mesa Dual (triple?) rectifier quad tracked, and the other 0-10% is the Sansamp PS-1. The Axe-FX does that very good. They mike the cab with one Neumann. Maybe a TLM49 about 4" away (at least the Mutter album, the only setup I've seen with my own eyes). As for Marilyn Manson: Main guitars shouldn't be too much problems. No clue about the "heavily processed" stuff though. Same with NIN. I know he's using plenty of ring modulating stuff on the "Ghost" album, but then again, no clue what effects he used. I can hear the L6 "plasticity" though. I've learned to loath that noice after five years of trying to get rid of it.
facepalm.gif

I know this has been answered already, but it's a matter of opinion so I'd look as many positives as I can get; do studio monitors do the Axe-FX justice?

Well I'm pretty sure with all those effects you can get pretty close.

L6 is currently all I've got (GearBox and !!! Spider III 15). GearBox doesn't sound very good, in my humble opinion, and neither does the Spider III 15.

G.9 said:
Clawfinger said:
[quote="G.9":2orcihk5]

facepalm.gif

I know this has been answered already, but it's a matter of opinion so I'd look as many positives as I can get; do studio monitors do the Axe-FX justice?

Well I'm pretty sure with all those effects you can get pretty close.

L6 is currently all I've got (GearBox and !!! Spider III 15). GearBox doesn't sound very good, in my humble opinion, and neither does the Spider III 15.[/quote:2orcihk5]

AxeFX is a HUGE step up from your current setup I think. Studio monitors work great with Axe. You get great sound at any level.

They've been using Engl Powerball too, the Axe covers that as well. Also I know they've both been using something called Rath amps. Never seen one or heard one. And BTW, they used Dual rectos. I also have heard someone witnessing 19" rectos in Richards rack. Dunno what they used on the different records.

Anyway, I am very confident you'll find the sound you're looking for in the AXE. I like the stuff you're talking about and I'm very happy with my rig now, which consists of 1x AxeFX ultra.

danielodland said:
AxeFX is a HUGE step up from your current setup I think. Studio monitors work great with Axe. You get great sound at any level.

They've been using Engl Powerball too, the Axe covers that as well. Also I know they've both been using something called Rath amps. Never seen one or heard one. And BTW, they used Dual rectos. I also have heard someone witnessing 19" rectos in Richards rack. Dunno what they used on the different records.

Anyway, I am very confident you'll find the sound you're looking for in the AXE. I like the stuff you're talking about and I'm very happy with my rig now, which consists of 1x AxeFX ultra.
Alright sounds good... Axe-FX Ultra, studio monitors to start out with.

Thanks for your input.

I sold my Sig:X a couple of months after I got the Ultra. Also a VH4, an Engl SE, a RoadKing and a few others, and don't miss them at all. Great amps, every one of them, but all totally unnecessary.

G.9 said:
I've seen a lot of general rock examples for the Axe-FX [Ultra], but I'm wondering how this unit performs with Industrial Metal (e.g. Marilyn Manson, NIN).

I've also got several other questions:

Scarr from the old Axe-Fx forum posted on some tips on how to get some NIN like sounds from Axe-Fx, very processed synth like distorted guitar sounds.

He posted a couple mp3 clips as well. Don't know if its the sound you are looking for, but it shows off the range of the Axe-Fx beyond typical rock guitar sounds, and maybe give you some ideas.

See this archived thread:
Nine Inch Nails style guitar patches

I still have my VHT 50ST. I was gonna sell it and get the Sig-X - or better still have both. BUT, I tries the Axe-FX, bought it and have never thought of the Sig-X since.

I havent sold the 50ST and Im in Belfast NI which isnt great for selling top end stuff. Insead its ittingin a cupboard till I get the Mainland UK to sell it.

I've got VERY close to the 50ST sound. Nailed the clean and Im not far away from the drive. There was actually a mid thing going on in the 50ST I kept ting to dial out but couldnt in 8 years (although I couldnt find a better amp even with this ). I now have the tone without the mid thing I didnt like. Not sure if the dynamics are here yet. Need to fire teh 50ST up to A/B teh current patch - BUt I dont actually want to. The axe is more fun !!

Back
Top Bottom