Axe-Fx/FRFR/Room treatment

Dyloh

Sorry to bother guys just hoping someone may have some information that could possibly lead me in the right direction.

I’ve been trying to dial in my Axe with a Firehawk 1500 which is supposed to be a FRFR stage monitor for awhile now with what I thought were decent results but never quite getting where I wanted to be, something to do with the high end. I chalked it up as not having the chops or knowledge to dial in amps and settings properly or it was my guitar. I’ve been buying IR packs, guitars, pickups, different capacitors, resistors, tone pots and anything else I could think of that could possibly be affecting my guitar tone.

Sitting there tweaking the other night and realise it’s late and probably should chuck my headphones on....and there was the sound I’ve been chasing. All the high end sparkle (or whatever buzz word you’d like to use) I’ve been looking for was just there, even just sliding my hands across the strings and fretboard has a super musical high end.
At this point I’m guessing it’s my FRFR speaker not giving me a correct representation of my tone for some reason. I’ve messed with EQs on the axe aswell as my FRFR trying to dial back in high end/presence/sparkle but then everything just gets piercing or if I try low cuts it just gets thin and brittle. I probably should add that for as long as I’ve been doing this I feel like my mids knob doesn’t do anything unless I’m literally dialing it all out.

I’m now at the conclusion that it’s my room that is causing some type of reflections that is just muddying up everything. Where should one go from here? Do people actually treat their room just to jam? Am I being a sook and just expecting too much from my setup?

I apologize if this post seems super long but I thought I’d try and get as much information in hopefully without sounding like I’m complaining which is 100% not my intentions, just hoping someone with more knowledge may be able to chime in.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to read this.

How do you feel about normal music, or other people's recordings, played through the Firehawk?
That’s a tough one because I havnt actually sat there and picked it apart listening to other music. What would you suggest, chuck headphones on and sit and comparing the two?

Some of the problem is that the Firehawk is supposedly full range but it is not indicated that it is flat response at all. Now I have never used one but line6’s own website says that it’s just FR not FRFR. If you know someone who has a decent quality PA system, run it thru there and see if your results are closer to your liking. And don’t forget Fletcher-Munson.

I posted this on another thread last night...

You would need to see the spec on them...the curve, on paper...and if looks like this, it's considered to be a true FRFR monitor, which you can see by the relatively flat curve from 40-10k. I use the HS8 Yamaha's; they are very accurate and sound pretty much like a pair of high quality reference headphones...

I don't have to tweak much. They can reproduce pretty much any CAB IR the Axe puts out, quite accurately.

HS series.png

Some of the problem is that the Firehawk is supposedly full range but it is not indicated that it is flat response at all. Now I have never used one but line6’s own website says that it’s just FR not FRFR. If you know someone who has a decent quality PA system, run it thru there and see if your results are closer to your liking. And don’t forget Fletcher-Munson.
Apparently they call it full range just to make it simpler but everyone else calls it FRFR so doesn’t seem to make too much sense on their part. I’ve actually been trying to dial my tone in at a reasonable volume on my FRFR instead of headphones just so happens that’s the tone I was looking for was there but Iran being masked by lower frequencies I’m guessing

I posted this on another thread last night...

You would need to see the spec on them...the curve, on paper...and if looks like this, it's considered to be a true FRFR monitor, which you can see by the relatively flat curve from 40-10k. I use the HS8 Yamaha's; they are very accurate and sound pretty much like a pair of high quality reference headphones...

I don't have to tweak much. They can reproduce pretty much any CAB IR the Axe puts out, quite accurately.

View attachment 50890
Is there somewhere I can get the graph for the firehawk? I have a pair of JBL08s but I’ve never trusted them because I can’t get the far enough away from my wall to have them give me a correct representation of my tone.

I don't see it in the spec...but you are running through the amp, bypassing the modeling effects I guess? I would bet that the speakers are colored to match the modeling of the Line 6...not FRFR at all, but that's only a guess...

I don't see it in the spec...but you are running through the amp, bypassing the modeling effects I guess? I would bet that the speakers are colored to match the modeling of the Line 6...not FRFR at all, but that's only a guess...
Where is this spec your talking about mate? I feel like they shouldn’t be able to advertise it as a FRFR if it is in fact not FRFR?

Back
Top Bottom