Axe-FX For The Recording Musician

GlennO

Axe-Master
Configuring an Axe-FX and a computer for recording is a frequent topic of questions on the forum, so I thought I'd write a guide to help out with answering some of these questions. The miscellaneous section at the end may be of interest even to Axe-FX veterans. (Note: this guide is for the Axe-FX III, the FM9, and the FM3. I'm using "Axe-FX" as a general term to refer to all three. There are a couple of places where there are exceptions for the FM3, but those exceptions are specifically noted.)

I've recorded a tutorial video for re-amping here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-re-amping-tutorial.190686/. Be sure to check that out for details on re-amping.

Axe-Capture is a handy plugin to use when recording an Axe-FX. You'll find details here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ve-axe-fx-presets-in-your-daw-project.195049/

Note: The latency compensation issue described below has been fixed on the Axe-FX and FM-9, so be sure your DSP and USB firmware are up to date. For details on this compensation issue, including workaround instructions if you're not using the latest firmware or if you're on an FM3, see this thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...rding-due-to-usb-latency-compensation.181686/

AxeFX.pngAxeFX 2.pngAxeFX 3.pngAxeFX 4.pngAxeFX 5.pngAxeFX 6.pngAxeFX 7.pngAxeFX 8.pngAxeFX 9.pngAxeFX 10.png

Last edited:
Great write up. I have been heavily contemplating a move to adding the III to my recording rig. I use the SY1000 currently for a number of reasons. Guitar synthesis, alt tuning and instrument modeling AS WELL AS being my main interface. I am weird in that I just want the one box to do it all :D

I like what the III could bring to the table, tonally speaking. Not sure how nice the SY and it would play with each other and whether moving the interface functionality to the III would make sense OR adding the fx and tones from the III to the existing SY rig would be the better way to go.

Yes, this is an amazing guide. @GlennO shared this with me recently on another post where I was having issues with USB Latency. I followed option 5, plugged my guitar directly into my audio interface (rather than the AF3) and used S/PDIF to link the two. Latency issues are gone! I wouldn't have even considered connecting things this way otherwise. Thanks again @GlennO !!

Yes, this is an amazing guide. @GlennO shared this with me recently on another post where I was having issues with USB Latency. I followed option 5, plugged my guitar directly into my audio interface (rather than the AF3) and used S/PDIF to link the two. Latency issues are gone! I wouldn't have even considered connecting things this way otherwise. Thanks again @GlennO !!

I have the same setup (Axe FX III and a Scarlett audio interface (6i6). Stupid question: When connecting the Axe to the Scarlett via S/PDIF, are you suppose to use both S/PDIF inputs (IN and OUT) on both devices? Or maybe @GlennO can chime in?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom