Axe Fx for my mac

I think that soon just mean "maybe one day".
For now, the most important is to look for TigerSharc successor ;)
Kemper will soon go for Kemper 2, so AxeFx3 must be in the pipelines....?
Also Bias Head is VERY impressive...
When they will make BiasFx rack version it will be very interesting...

I sold my Axe Fx II today.
I had finished my EP production and nothing new on the horizon. And I was hoping for the plugin format Axe all the time anyway. So I thought, "my Mark1 is probably soon approaching EOL because of the boot ROM size (no more FW updates), and when that happens and / or the plugin comes out the Mark1 second hand sale price will drop a lot...". Since I am a Slate Digital Everything Bundle user, I have S-Gear 2 available, and must say, it is the best software amp sim I have used so far. But it does not touch the Axe, by far not. It is good enough to practice and put together demos for new songs, though.
So now I am really hanging in there until the software Axe comes out, will be an instant buy. If it takes too long and I get a serious project in before that (or if it looks like it will never happen), then I will go for the AX8 - I sold my 4 years old Axe Fx II Mark1 for 1600€, that is what a new AX8 costs from G66, I would not even have to add any money. I would miss some features, but love the floor unit format, so it would be an easy exchange for me.
Here's to hoping the Axe Fx software comes out, well, as Cliff put it, "Soon..."

Any update coming about this? Seems since the answer was "soon..." back in May 2016 from Cliff, but no further updates have happened, maybe this idea has been scrapped?

I just don't think it makes any sense for FAS to do this. Piracy being what it is, the best safest method to insure piracy protection is to be hardware only. Plus they don't have to be limited to whatever computer CPU variability issues and trying to be compatible with other software, DAW, PC/MAC, OSes and updates. It could be a real nightmare chasing bugs down.

I just don't think it makes any sense for FAS to do this. Piracy being what it is, the best safest method to insure piracy protection is to be hardware only. Plus they don't have to be limited to whatever computer CPU variability issues and trying to be compatible with other software, DAW, PC/MAC, OSes and updates. It could be a real nightmare chasing bugs down.

That whole thing with piracy being an issue might be true, however, I can't imagine Cliff writing "Soon" regarding a plugin when he has not planned to release anything. I think while piracy might be an issue, he could open up a gigantic new market. Maybe the piracy issue could be solved by bundling the software with a Fractal Audio DI box that serves as a dongle. Would be copy protection and ensure high quality input stage at the same time - I have tried my software amp sims through several DIs of different audio interfaces, and boy does it make a difference.
For me, an Axe plugin for my DAW would be an absolute heaven-sent thing. As I wrote earlier - I sold my Axe Fx 2 Mk1 in expectation of it after Cliff made this cryptic announcement, and expecting my Mk1 to drop in resale value a lot once it can't be updated anymore to the newest FW versions. Currently I bridge the gap with S-Gear and the Plugin Alliance amp sims and I must say the more I use them, the more I find them to be really good. But an Axe as a VST plugin... oh my... bring it on already!!!! Otherwise I will have to buy that AX8 at some point...!!!

I know. I was surprised when Cliff wrote that. Sometimes people's expectations run too high. Selling your AF2 expecting the software version was way too premature. Cliff DID say it, with no time line offered. As I said I was surprised. Software developers work over time chasing down bugs between apps and OSes and their respective updates enough to give them all headaches. Each blaming the other for the failures and bugs. I personally would rather see Cliff forge straight ahead and not delve into that bottomless pit.

I know. I was surprised when Cliff wrote that. Sometimes people's expectations run too high. Selling your AF2 expecting the software version was way too premature. Cliff DID say it, with no time line offered. As I said I was surprised. Software developers work over time chasing down bugs between apps and OSes and their respective updates enough to give them all headaches. Each blaming the other for the failures and bugs. I personally would rather see Cliff forge straight ahead and not delve into that bottomless pit.

I hope very much for him diving into that pit all the way, lol! :)
Other developers indeed have a lot of work, but I think regarding the Axe Fx as a software, it should not be too terrible. You could choose an approach like Slate Digital with the VMR (Virtual Mix Rack) system, where they have one framework that is the shell for all the different plugins that get loaded as modules. Fractal could also develop one such shell environment as the plugin, and then have the amps / cabs etc. loaded as modules. That means there is only one software framework that has to be updated if there is some new OS; changes regarding amps, new pedals or whatever simply is added as a new module. That looks like a good solution to me - but then, I do not know that much about software development, so I could be completely wrong!
Regarding selling my Axe being premature - maybe, but it was a combination of factors that make the decision quite reasonable I think. First of all, I have just finished a musical project that took me quite long and I am going into a bit of a hiatus. Then secondly, the Mark 1 I owned was looking like approaching the end of firmware updates, which is not an issue for now, but I am sure the day will come when it is, and I assumed it would therefore soon drop a lot in resale value. Selling it now, I could sell for just what it would cost me to buy a new AX8 - and I was eyeballing with the AX8 anyway, since I don't need the features the Axe Fx II has on top of it, and I fancy the floorboard format very much. The announcement of the software was just the third point. So my worst case scenario is that when I come back from a phase of practicing guitar and vocals, collecting ideas, notching up my mixing skills a bit and writing new songs, the software is not on the horizon yet and I just buy an AX8. Doesn't sound too bad for me. :)

FWIW, I told you that you were making a bad bet for banking on this and provided references that FAS had publicly confirmed a working beta of an AxeFx plugin in *2009* in a thread in the discussion area (you actually sold your Axe based on a 'cryptic comment'? Dude you are a riverboat gambler).

As I noted there, I would be stoked for such a product and would buy it on the spot; but whether there will EVER be such a thing is anyone's guess. I can understand how such a product could be a real double edged sword for Fractal, so do not blame them for waffling on whether to release or not. If it were cracked or something it could really mess with their hardware business which I would guess is thriving.

I'm hopeful Line 6 will release a 'Helix Farm' tool to replace 'POD Farm' that might prompt FAS to compete in that market segment.

I have been called many things, but riverboat gambler is really new, lol. Thanks for adding that to my resume. :D

I think I explained my reasons for selling in enough detail. I also have a decent amount of trust in Cliff Chase - if he says "soon", he does not do it casually, I suppose. And currently I've got time. And later I've got the plugin, or exchanged a 4 year old Mk1 for a brand new AX8 at zero balance. Not much of a gamble I think. :)

Well I had the Axe Fx, Ultra, II and AX8 and sold them all and now I use a Helix because Price and especially build quality is superior. Sound is different but not worse in any case. I'll recommend trying the Helix Native because the device itself is absolutely great. Just too many shitty demos on youtube. Fractal will never bring out Plugin or Standalone... Cliff talked about it back in the days around 2008 or 2009 as far as I remember but I highly doubt that he will give it out. Only downer with the Helix is that you can't have multiple paths connected multiple times but if you don't use uber fancy routings this shouldn't be a problem at all especially on a plugin basis where you can load multiple instances of the Native

I look at it like you can sell a $2000 product to 100 people, or you can sell a $400 product with the same features to 10,000 people. With the right kind of PR, the Axe plug in could sell incredibly well. If it does not release, Line 6 will corner the market with Helix Native, as there is absolutely nothing on the market on that level as a plug in. Eventually it will cut into Axe Fx sales. No question about that

I'd pay a premium for an AxeFx plugin. I'd pay more than I'd be willing to pay for Helix, for sure, just because I know Fractal is a smaller company.

I'm probably going to get the Helix plugin.

It'd be a shame if Fractal don't follow suit. If Line6 keep putting out a product that is so well built and attractive, with sister products like the Native plugin, then they will attract more of the market share. If enough people are buying it, Line6 will invest in the technology too. Right now, I think Fractal has the superior modelling, but if Line6 put enough time/money/talent into it... it won't be long before they'll be the leaders.

I sold off all my guitar recording gear a while back and went over to electronic music (got a wicked modular synth built and am having the time of my life).

BUT - through circumstances that cropped up I had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have a custom Mayones made to my desired specifications at a fraction of it's normal cost - I even got some specs on it that are technically unavailable. The guitar is actually shipping from Poland as we speak, and will be in my hands within a couple weeks.

The first thought was "turn around and sell to buy more modular gear" because, well... I don't have guitar recording capabilities worthy of such a fine instrument, honestly. But then I heard about Helix Native and I got to thinking I might hold out. Not sure. If Fractal released even a super limited plugin (like 10 of the most popular amp sims) I would probably snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Short of that, if I truly fall in love with the guitar and decide to keep it, I will probably begin the reckless and terrible process of convincing my wife I actually do need an AX8... whoops. Hahahaha!

I have two Fractal units and I'm selling one of them, I will keep the other for now, but I have to say I like using software when recording, and I actually do find Bias and particularly Scuffam very good, and with line 6 announcing a software port of their Helix I would love to go software exclusive in the studio.

If Fractal release a software port I will gladly pay for that and the hardware to go with it, to have a whole system that covers live and the studio would be great, but if they don't come out with software I could see me leaving Fractal behind in favour of workflow, software workflow is so much better IMO, so I really hope we get some word soon.

From a marketing stand point I think this is the direction of travel, to be able to work with software and have the patches transfer exactly to the hardware for live use is a pretty killer setup and line 6 is about to give us that incredible option, it's a big seller and certainly entices me, lets hope Fractal do the same.

I have two Fractal units and I'm selling one of them, I will keep the other for now, but I have to say I like using software when recording, and I actually do find Bias and particularly Scuffam very good, and with line 6 announcing a software port of their Helix I would love to go software exclusive in the studio.

If Fractal release a software port I will gladly pay for that and the hardware to go with it, to have a whole system that covers live and the studio would be great, but if they don't come out with software I could see me leaving Fractal behind in favour of workflow, software workflow is so much better IMO, so I really hope we get some word soon.

From a marketing stand point I think this is the direction of travel, to be able to work with software and have the patches transfer exactly to the hardware for live use is a pretty killer setup and line 6 is about to give us that incredible option, it's a big seller and certainly entices me, lets hope Fractal do the same.

You brought up an incredible point. The ability to port your presets from the studio, into live use is crucial. The Helix will now offer this, and that is a very big step in the right direction for musicians.

You brought up an incredible point. The ability to port your presets from the studio, into live use is crucial. The Helix will now offer this, and that is a very big step in the right direction for musicians.

I agree it's a great feature for the Helix, my perfect dream scenario though would be an AxeFx in Software. I would pay big for that, because the AxeFx just sounds the best, come on Cliff :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom