• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Axe FX for Low Volume Playing

jw3571

Inspired
First, let me start by saying I owned an Axe FX for over a year, I ran it with 2 Yamaha HS8 monitors. I only play in my basement, so I barely could turn the up the HS8 monitors. I liked the unit, but I really didn't know what I was doing and there were so many options I found it a little overwhelming. I also didn't like that were so many updates and that when it updated I had to go through and change all of my volumes on the patches. It also seemed like you needed different presets for each guitar.

I've gone through a bunch of amps, Phaez, H & K, Orange Tiny Terror, Orange Micro Dark. The three amps I have now are a Marshall SL5, Marshall Code 25, and a Yamaha THR10. The SL5 is really just too loud for my basement, I can't crank it enough to get the sound I really want. The Code works pretty well for my needs but i've been thinking of getting back to the Axe. Is this really the best option for a basement player or is it totally overkill? If I did get it should I get the same HS8 monitors or should I go with something smaller so I can crank them more? Another question is, can you get away with just having 1 monitor or it is two necessary?

haffner1

Inspired
My practice space is in my basement too. I don't think it overkill, but it kind of depends on what you are using it for. If you are in to recording it can't be beat. I don't really know enough about your monitors to be much help. It may be that they are over powered for your practice space and you may not get them to their optimal listening level. My room is about 10x15 feet and I use JBL LSR 305s. If you are using it for recording I would use 2 monitors, you may get phase issues when summing L+R if you use stereo effects.

aziz

Power User
Use big and good monitors, SPL is SPL, no matter if it's coming from big or small speakers, but bigger tend to sound better.

Reactions: JT2

Max_H

Inspired
I love the Axe FX for low volume playing. I myself use headphones but I see no problem with being able to get a good sound out of studio monitors.

Etudica

Inspired
My primary use has always been recording, typically through phones, but I've never had any sound quality issues running the Axe through my desks BX8a's either at any volume. In fact, most of the time I run the monitors they are no louder than average TV listening volume. If anything I sometimes bump up compression to get better feedback at lower levels.

I have QSC K12s for when I have had to play live or when I feel like getting loud... but lately they just sit there unplugged. Because wife. (I'm not as lucky as some of you other guys whose wives support our passion).

Pwrmac7600

Power User
Smaller monitors cranked out larger monitors turned down... What's the difference? We aren't taking tube amp here, it doesn't need to have the master cranked to sound good. up until a few weeks ago I was running mine through hs5's and I find it to Lexi low end pouch due to the 5" woofer. I upgraded to some Adam A7x monitors and it's s night and day difference. I am still playing at the dam me bedroom volume level though.

And remember, just because it has a ton of options doesn't mean you have to use them all. IMO you don't pay what you pay for an axe just because of the options, you pay it for the sound quality. Just about all of my patches are only amp and cab, no effects what so ever.

laxu

Experienced
You already have the THR10. While the Axe definitely sounds better, the Yamaha has healthy, good tones in it and it should be perfect for your purposes.

Johan Allard

Power User
I get inspired playing around with different tones and having something that sounds really great inspires me to play more. So if money is no problem I would definitely get the Axe Fx even if it's just for home use. I'm sure I play and practice more because I have the Axe Fx. If you have the space for it, I'd get the Friedman ASM-12. It's fan-less and quiet when you're not using it and it sounds great with the Axe Fx. More guitarcab like than most other solutions. I wouldn't call it FRFR - you cant use it as a reference speaker but it sounds great even at low volumes. Good quality studio monitors like the Adams are also a great alternative that's also useable as reference speakers and useable for other things than just playing guitar through them. But yeah, if you can spend the money comfortably - do it!

hochha

Inspired
I run one AxeFx TRS output to a solid state amp and then to any number of cabs, currently a Mesa rectifier with V30s, 3rd notch off of 0 and it sounds great. And its not loud enough to bother anyone in the next room. But you have to have a quite room because a tv on low would compete with the cab at such a low setting. I often practice scales while watching tv, trying to keep up on the news. Now just a few more ticks on the amp output and it starts to get loud!

Last edited:

jw3571

Inspired
For lower volume playing, is two monitors needed? I like to play at around a louder tv volume. I'll crank it louder from time to time.

jw3571

Inspired
I have not tried this as I don't have an axe again. Still trying to decide between the one monitor or two.

Paperjace

Experienced
When you had the Axe, did you ever edit your patches with Axe Edit? I feel like that makes editing patches so much easier than trying to do it from the front panel. I would go crazy if I had to design a complex patch just from the front panel.

I'd say get 2 monitors if you want to hear everything in stereo (delays, reverbs, choruses, etc.). The Axe has some beautiful sending effects and it's just an injustice to play in mono if you have the choice to play in stereo.

questin

I use the HS8's with my axe fx. Its great at any volume. Only thing is, and this is common sense really, but the lower the volume, the more youre hearing the acoustic sound of your guitar and not the modified tone coming out of your monitors. Which may change how you tweak your settings. It's overkill, but it's fun. Also, having 2 monitors is great. I wouldn't recommend going through one.

jw3571

Inspired
I did use Axe Edit, it was much easier. If i get two monitors they will have to be right next to each other, but I guess that still gives a stereo effect, correct?

Top Bottom