Axe fx for downtuned bass G#

What low frequency is required to reproduce a low G#? I've done nothing with bass traps or treatment
G# is 25.96Hz. Finding a system that's actually flat at those frequencies can be a challenge. On paper my Mackie 8s go down to 20Hz - but testing has proved otherwise. I think you'll find the same with any other reasonably priced monitoring solution. Deep bass is really hard for a two way system!

For something that low you either need to spend the big bucks and get true studio quality speakers (and room treatment!) or get a decent sub. A sub is definitely not recommended for critical listening or mixing but can be useful for general futzing around.

Room treatments become really critical at these frequencies as well since sub-contra bass is extremely sensitive to room shape and modal interference. Maybe build some corner traps? This is the hard stuff!

What low frequency is required to reproduce a low G#? I've done nothing with bass traps or treatment
What @Disconnector said is correct.

One thing to realize though is if you are recording or playing out, then most rooms where people will experience your playing are not able to reproduce approximately 24 Hz as a fundamental tone. Instead people are going to hear one of the partials or harmonics of that note.

The reason I am noting this is, spending money either on monitoring for flatness at that low of frequency and/or treating a room to be flat at this frequency is not cheap or easily portable.

So your tone that you are investing to accurately reproduce will still be heard by others in less than ideal conditions.

Prior to electronic instruments, the only instruments that generated that low frequency of a note were pipe organs in large churches. One look at the scale of those structures lets you know why those notes were heard in that environment.

https://i.redd.it/ez2km0qyoj101.jpg

The virtual capo for low F# worked about as well as actually tuning my bass to low F#, which is to say not very well. It seems just too hard to reproduce that note.

For guitar, using the virtual capo to get my 8-string to low C# actually sounds almost better than using an actual 9-string with that tuning.

I played in a band with a bassist that tuned down to G# on a 6 string bass and played/ recorded through a Carvin Red Eye R600 combo amp instead of letting me make an Axe-Fx preset for him. I have nothing to contribute here other than to share my PTSD from the experience. Oh and the virtual capo is really very good.

Kalium/Circle K make a subwoofer and processor which supposedly can do flat response way down:

https://kaliummusic.com/subwoofers/

They also make 40” scale basses and strings. I’ve spoken to the owner Skip many times, he’s very knowledgeable. Haven’t heard the sub but he’s very enthusiastic about it.
Yeh i won't deal with circle k/kalium anymore. Their website was shagged and provided shipping quotes of $1100aus to ship anything over 20 items to australia. I sent him a ridiculous amount of emails and rang him a bunch of times trying to find a solution to keep purchasing from him. Got a few responses but they amounted to nothing and then just silence. In the end i gave up.

I'm considering Eve SC3070 monitors as an upgrade but it's a chunk of cash and should probably research accoustic treatment

Back
Top Bottom