Axe-Fx Floor Model or a GREAT dedicated foot controller?

Spoons

Inspired
Has anyone ever openly discussed an Axe-Fx model that is completely contained in a floor stomp box that would directly compete with the GT's, POD's, Digitech floor units. Maybe it could be a "limited function" unit with about half the great amp models, only the most popular effects, change the effects grid to 2 X 12, a couple CC volume/effect pedals, maybe only 127 available patches, 4 cc stomps effects switches, a set of patch up down buttons and 5 patch switches.

I'm sure you get the idea, kind of a partially "stripped down" all in one floor unit. Maybe you'd want to make a couple different models, stripped down and an Ultra equivalent with everything; sure why not ask for the moon. The stripped down unit should be priced reasonably competitively for those people that can't spend $1500+ or for those that just simply like the all in one floor units. I know a few people that are stuck on floor units, they will probably never ever build a rack with a separate floor control - "it's just too much work". The full ultra floor unit would certainly cost more than the current Ultra; but WOW-What a Floor unit that would be.

Personally I like the racks, but I might get something like this for those quick toss the gear in a bag and head out for rehearsal when I'm lazy and don't want to roll out all the gear.

Maybe not a great idea, but an idea all the same.
What are YOUR thoughts?

EDIT: Changed The Thread Title

Re: What About A New Axe-Fx Floor Model ?

It's been discussed on the boards at different times. But my take is that I'd be really mad if my $2000 floor effects unit was destroyed because some drunk guy spilled his beer right in my floor unit. It's just a lot easier to ruin when it's down there IMHO.

Spoons said:
I'm sure you get the idea, kind of a partially "stripped down" all in one floor unit.
Maybe not a great idea, but an idea all the same.
And a really old idea at that - it was discussed in the old user forum quite a lot. IIRC it was in some sort of planning by Fractal Audio and subsequently, apparently, abandoned.

My understanding and recollection is that it wouldn't be that much cheaper to "strip down" the Axe-Fx beause of Fractal Audio's commitment to excellent sound, which means more expensive components at every stage of the signal path. So just using less DSP power wouldn't do much if you weren't willing to compromise the overall sound quality, and Fractal seems not to be.

Plus, from what I gather, a floor unit introduces additional technical challenges with cooling, etc. So there might be a bit of a wait for this one, if it's ever going to happen.

Understood...

Maybe it wouldn't turn out to be a reasonably sized unit and that is what completely scrapped the idea.

Maybe Fractal should make a dedicated pedal board for the Axe-Fx sort of along the lines of what Line 6 did with the FBV primarily designed for the POD Pro's. Make it as "Plug-n-Play" as reasonably possible. Put a CAT-5 cable between the units would be really nice too!

Spoons said:
Maybe Fractal should make a dedicated pedal board for the Axe-Fx sort of along the lines of what Line 6 did with the FBV primarily designed for the POD Pro's. Make it as "Plug-n-Play" as reasonably possible. Put a CAT-5 cable between the units would be really nice too!

How about something like this? ;)

14c4jo0.png

Spoons said:
Now put 2 Pedals one side or one on each side and you got it!!

Word. I hate it when they make pedalboards with no volume or expression pedals attached. Even my GT-8 floor unit has a pedal.

LegatoMan said:
Spoons said:

Word. I hate it when they make pedalboards with no volume or expression pedals attached. Even my GT-8 floor unit has a pedal.

Well yeah, but with provided jacks for expression pedals you can test different pedals
and stick with those that feel the best for the job,
volume, wah, whammy etc, people tend to use different pedals for different actions.
With built-in pedals you are stuck with what you've got.

LegatoMan said:
Spoons said:
As someone else has already mentioned, having built-in pedals is not for everyone. Everyone likes different configurations like 1 exp pedal on each side or both on the left or both on the right.

If you want "built-in" pedals than just mount the MFC-101 and your pedals on a board and be done with it.

Matt_B said:
LegatoMan said:
As someone else has already mentioned, having built-in pedals is not for everyone. Everyone likes different configurations like 1 exp pedal on each side or both on the left or both on the right.

If you want "built-in" pedals than just mount the MFC-101 and your pedals on a board and be done with it.
Yea but...... ;)

I completely understand what you are saying. I don't think I have seen a board made by anyone that does not have one or two expansion plugs on the back to plug in additional switches or pedals. Even my REALLY old BOSS GT-6 has expansion place for 2 exterior expression pedals or switches and it has a reasonable expression pedal built in. My Roland FC-300 has 2 good built-in pedals AND the capacity to add 6 additional switches or pedals.

Something to think about:
Having at least one really high quality programmable expression pedal built-in and the ability to expand to a couple more if you like, from a marketing aspect, would certainly be a selling plus. Although if all they could do is put in a really crappy pedal I would completely agree with having no pedal at all.

If I understand at least a little bit about where Fractal Audio comes from; it's obvious to me that they want to do it BETTER than everyone else, not just the same old thing. SSDD is always just SSDD and that would not meet the high standards that I believe Fractal has.

Spoons said:
Having at least one really high quality programmable expression pedal built-in and the ability to expand to a couple more if you like, from a marketing aspect, would certainly be a selling plus. Although if all they could do is put in a really crappy pedal I would completely agree with having no pedal at all.

It doesn't have to be crappy at all, problem is that not everyone will enjoy it equally.
Perhaps it'll be a selling plus but it'll also reject certain number of customers.
Some people need just one pedal and they want to pick it by themself.
Some people want pedalboard as small as possible, sometimes even without a pedal at all.
Etc etc.
If you need a pedal then you get yourself one you like and add it, couldn't be more simple.
Having a built-in pedal that you don't like and/or can't remove in 2 secs is far more serious in my book. :)

I had no idea that this was already in process of being built.
MFC101 looks like a SOLID built unit!!
Cool!
mfc101.jpg

I hope the switches are quite ones not those LOUD clickers!

I wonder what the rectangle hole labeled EXPANSION is to be used for. Expansion in what way and what is the connector type, USB?

My guess is for additional footcontroller so you can link them together.

The hole may be a RJ45 connector ?

I don't like built-in expression pedals, simply because most of them are on the right hand side of the board, and I'm LEFT FOOTED!

Therefore, I'd prefer the option to plug in my own pedals and set them up on the left-hand side of the board.

:)

Spoons said:
Has anyone ever openly discussed an Axe-Fx model that is completely contained in a floor stomp box that would directly compete with the GT's, POD's, Digitech floor units. Maybe it could be a "limited function" unit with about half the great amp models, only the most popular effects, change the effects grid to 2 X 12, a couple CC volume/effect pedals, maybe only 127 available patches, 4 cc stomps effects switches, a set of patch up down buttons and 5 patch switches.

Well, this is what I'm using but...it's individual for everyone and we all want a different configuration..

AxePedal.jpg

The bottom pedal is an old Midi Buddy...I don't use enough patches to need, in any given night, to access over 128 presets..I use the midi buddy to select a patch.
The top pedal is a Roland FC 300 and is used only as a controller for midi functions, stomp simulator, turn on/off effects within a patch. The outside pedal is always volume (globally)
The inside pedal is expression for various uses on different patches...
The little box on the upper right corner is just the receiver for my X2 Digital Wireless.

It looks busier than it really is.

gittarzann said:
My guess is for additional footcontroller so you can link them together.

The hole may be a RJ45 connector ?

Correct as far as I can see, that´s a typcial connector used for these kind of expansion. And if I recall correct, Cliff even stated for long time ago that he´d release a footcontroller system that would be modular (i e add-ons would become aviable).

/Mike

miketheman said:
And if I recall correct, Cliff even stated for long time ago that he´d release a footcontroller system that would be modular (i e add-ons would become aviable).

/Mike

Yup, that's MFC101 that is coming hopefully soon and it has expansion slot.

a.provider,m.7641,mod.media,down.true,th.normal,s.pictures.jpg

Back
Top Bottom