Axe-Fx Firmware Version 8.00

I have a suggestion for a future firmware.

I wish an internal midi block that will work with internal midi settings, not for external sends. I will be more flexable to control utility functions with the fc-6/12 and expression pedals. For example it‘s easier to realize settings like volume control with tuner on/off function without another switch.

Are there more users who would be interested in this solution?

I wish an internal midi block that will work with internal midi settings, not for external sends. I will be more flexable to control utility functions with the fc-6/12 and expression pedals. For example it‘s easier to realize settings like volume control with tuner on/off function without another switch.

I’m having trouble understanding how you’d use this in a way that controllers and control switched don’t already allow?

I am not able to send MIDI messages from a switch set up as a Control Switch my FC-6 (FW 1.09) to the AXE FX III (FW 8.00). This should be possible according to the manuals, Page 45 in the AXE FX III manual and Page 39-40 in the FC Manual. (Yes, I have read the manuals and I have searched the excellent Forum) but have not been successful so far. I have started a thread in the FC section but unfortunately not much response there....... and I really need this function as I find it super useful (change bypass status on several Effect Blocks and simultaneously change the Channel of an already "active" (not bypassed) Effect Block.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nnel-on-another-block-with-one-switch.154250/

As a way around you can connect midi out and midi in with a cable and use the midi block to send CCs into the AxeIII. That works, I was abusing the midi ports that way for a while.
You don't get a midi feedback loop since the out don't passes incoming midi commands through.

I am not able to send MIDI messages from a switch set up as a Control Switch my FC-6 (FW 1.09) to the AXE FX III (FW 8.00). This should be possible according to the manuals, Page 45 in the AXE FX III manual and Page 39-40 in the FC Manual. (Yes, I have read the manuals and I have searched the excellent Forum) but have not been successful so far. I have started a thread in the FC section but unfortunately not much response there....... and I really need this function as I find it super useful (change bypass status on several Effect Blocks and simultaneously change the Channel of an already "active" (not bypassed) Effect Block.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nnel-on-another-block-with-one-switch.154250/

The control switches generate commands at the midi out to use with outboard gear AFAIK.
Maybe you could do the same as above, connect midi in and midi out and have the command received by the AxeIII...I never tried that with an FC.

I’m having trouble understanding how you’d use this in a way that controllers and control switched don’t already allow?
At the moment you can turn on/off the tuner only with a configured switch on the fc or you send a midi cc from an external switch. I want to control the tuner on/off with a configured expression pedal connected to the fc for example.

As a way around you can connect midi out and midi in with a cable and use the midi block to send CCs into the AxeIII. That works, I was abusing the midi ports that way for a while.
You don't get a midi feedback loop since the out don't passes incoming midi commands through.
I use the midi out to control the channel switching of my tube amp. Live I use the 4 cable method.

1+ for this.
I also would love to be able to control Ext. Ctr. with the FC switches. I use both RJM GT16 and FC6 (not simultaneously) and this would avoid me to reprogram my presets each time I use the other pedal. And tuner on when volume pedal is at heel position is a feature I miss on the FC.

The control switches generate commands at the midi out to use with outboard gear AFAIK.
Maybe you could do the same as above, connect midi in and midi out and have the command received by the AxeIII...I never tried that with an FC.

I attached an External Switch to the FC-6 and mapped it to the Reverb Block on the "Channel" page on the AXE FX III (using the "Learn" function. Then I could change Channel on the Reverb Block but only toggle between Channels A and D (I assume A is "min value" (0) and D is "max" value (3 or 127) according to the Owners Manual). When carefully rocking an Exp.pedals connected to the FC-6 the Channels on the Reverb block changed. My best guess so far is that the FC-6 does not send the CS MIDI message as it is supposed to (my interpretation of the Manual) as the AXE FX III clearly responds to MIDI messages from External sources (Exp. pedal and External Switces connected to the FC-6). So why do the AXE FX III respond to MIDI CC messages from External pedals/switches connected to the FC-6 and not to Control Switches on the FC-6 set to send MIDI-messages by using the "CS MIDI" function?

I attached an External Switch to the FC-6 and mapped it to the Reverb Block on the "Channel" page on the AXE FX III (using the "Learn" function. Then I could change Channel on the Reverb Block but only toggle between Channels A and D (I assume A is "min value" (0) and D is "max" value (3 or 127) according to the Owners Manual). When carefully rocking an Exp.pedals connected to the FC-6 the Channels on the Reverb block changed. My best guess so far is that the FC-6 does not send the CS MIDI message as it is supposed to (my interpretation of the Manual) as the AXE FX III clearly responds to MIDI messages from External sources (Exp. pedal and External Switces connected to the FC-6). So why do the AXE FX III respond to MIDI CC messages from External pedals/switches connected to the FC-6 and not to Control Switches on the FC-6 set to send MIDI-messages by using the "CS MIDI" function?
CS midi is sent OUT of the Axe Fx not TO the Axe Fx.

External switches and pedals connected to an FC do not send midi to the Axe Fx as far as I know.

CS midi is sent OUT of the Axe Fx not TO the Axe Fx.

External switches and pedals connected to an FC do not send midi to the Axe Fx as far as I know.
As I stated in my post they definately do in my set-up. I rock the Expression pedal connected to the FC-6 and the Channel in the Reverb block nicely changes from A to B to C to D and then it starts over again with further movement of the pedal. So I am a bit confused....

The FCs control functions outside the common midi protocol. It's not midi.

When the FCs do everything that you want, you don't need to dive down in the midi hole.

As I stated in my post they definately do in my set-up. I rock the Expression pedal connected to the FC-6 and the Channel in the Reverb block nicely changes from A to B to C to D and then it starts over again with further movement of the pedal. So I am a bit confused....
That doesn't mean it sends midi... The FC is not a midi controller it is an extension of the Axe Fx.

That doesn't mean it sends midi... The FC is not a midi controller it is an extension of the Axe Fx.
OK, but how can I accomplish what I want to do? (Use a Control Switch on the FC-6 to simultaneously change the Bypass State on some Blocks and Channel on another). And why do the AXE FX III respond to External pedals/switches connected to the FC-6? I can easily do this on my RJM MM GT22 so I am confident that the FC-6 can do this. I just cannot figure out HOW...

Use a Control Switch on the FC-6 to simultaneously change the Bypass State on some Blocks and Channel on another
Control switches can only be used with switches or parameters that have a modifier. Channels do not have a modifier available therefore it's not possible to switch channels using a control switch.
And why do the AXE FX III respond to External pedals/switches connected to the FC-6?
Because the FC-6 is connected to and is the controller for the Axe III. The FC controllers are not stand-alone units, they cannot operate without being connected to an Axe III (or the coming FM3). External switches are integrated into the FC-6 through the pedal jacks which then makes them part of the controller.

OK, but how can I accomplish what I want to do? (Use a Control Switch on the FC-6 to simultaneously change the Bypass State on some Blocks and Channel on another). And why do the AXE FX III respond to External pedals/switches connected to the FC-6? I can easily do this on my RJM MM GT22 so I am confident that the FC-6 can do this. I just cannot figure out HOW...
Scenes are handy for remembering bypass and channel status on everything, and taking you to up to 8 different sets of everything's bypass/channel states. You can assign a switch to change scenes, and the bypass and/or channel states of any or all of your preset's blocks can change with one tap of a switch.

Back
Top Bottom