Axe-Fx Firmware Version 8.00

8.0 sounds great! Not sure exactly what's changed, and it's subtle, but I really liked what I heard after updating last night and running through a few patches.

Thanks Fractal!

New AXE FX III owner here. Received the unit 2 weeks ago. Really amazed by the frequent updates. Anyway, I don't own the unit long enough to be able to objectively A/B the differences between the latest FW and the previous one. But any fundamental improvement of the core tones throughout the life of the product is always welcome (rather than just keep adding different functions). Thank you, FAS!

New AXE FX III owner here. Received the unit 2 weeks ago. Really amazed by the frequent updates. Anyway, I don't own the unit long enough to be able to objectively A/B the differences between the latest FW and the previous one. But any fundamental improvement of the core tones throughout the life of the product is always welcome (rather than just keep adding different functions). Thank you, FAS!
You’re starting off at a really good place. The tones are really amazing. Hard to imagine they improve but they will! Always backup your presets. In some cases you want/need to restore them.

Thanks for the heads up! Yes, this is so important. I used to do that for my Kemper (it's been 3 years since I sold it).
You’re starting off at a really good place. The tones are really amazing. Hard to imagine they improve but they will! Always backup your presets. In some cases you want/need to restore them.

how would that work exactly?

On the EZ setup page for the FC, right where you dial in the functionality of each switch for tap or hold, you add two or three parameters. One for the main screen type (layout, controllers etc), if it's layout for instance, then you can also choose a block in the second parameter and its subscreen in the third, or have them set to none and just go to the main layout.

Conceptually it seems easy, although I guess it depends on the limitations of the FASLINK protocol.

On the EZ setup page for the FC, right where you dial in the functionality of each switch for tap or hold, you add two or three parameters. One for the main screen type (layout, controllers etc), if it's layout for instance, then you can also choose a block in the second parameter and its subscreen in the third, or have them set to none and just go to the main layout.

Conceptually it seems easy, although I guess it depends on the limitations of the FASLINK protocol.
That’s probably close to 1000 new parameters/options that need to be programmed in, maybe more! That seems more complicated to me. Just my opinion.

All of the Marshalls on 8.00 have a mushy low end.

What controls can I adjust to make the Marshalls more tight and punchy?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on turning up the negative feedback. I’ll try that.

It’s been while since I plugged into my old Marshall Plexi’s, but I decided to do a comparison with firmware 8.00. The sound comparison was good, but the real amps had a faster attack when you pick a note, the low end was tighter and punchier.

I don’t normally use the more advanced amp controls, but it looks like I might need to in this case. Any more suggestions from anyone on how to make the low end tighter and punchier?

Last edited:
Receiving my Axe FX III early next week. This will be my first Fractal unit. Going from a Line 6 Toneport UX2 to the FX III will be a mega upgrade. Happy to do this firmware upgrade.

I know it’s not the right thread to post this but I need to tell someone...

4th evening with new Axe FX III... Tonight things started happening for real. The FX III is a very intimidating unit at first (and I’m an IT engineer) but tonight I had tones like on Youtube, really. All I can say is FAS is doing really good and easy to use technology and their units are built like tanks. I freaked out when I received the unit and saw the box somewhat beat up but when I opened it I realized that this thing is far from flimsy...

Anyway, it’s 9:30pm and I’m starting to prep my dinner, been playing since I came back from work at 5:00pm... It’s addictive, there should be a warning posted on the FAS web site...

Thanks for the tip on turning up the negative feedback. I’ll try that.

It’s been while since I plugged into my old Marshall Plexi’s, but I decided to do a comparison with firmware 8.00. The sound comparison was good, but the real amps had a faster attack when you pick a note, the low end was tighter and punchier.

I don’t normally use the more advanced amp controls, but it looks like I might need to in this case. Any more suggestions from anyone on how to make the low end tighter and punchier?

What knobs work best depends on where the overdrive/distortion gets generated the most.

High master volume means more poweramp influence.

Poweramp:
For stiffer response you can turn up neg feedback and power amp hardness or lower x-former match.
Increasing b+ time up to 10ms and beyond also gets the sag compression off the attacks (around 4 ms for more liquid soloing), for better riffing.

Preamp:
The most effective control is on the preamp tab, trim the low (input-) cut there.
Lows that you kill there don't feed their energy into the gain stages anymore so the way the amp reacts on lows changes. Add lows back again post amp (eq tab) when needed.

Overall:
Besides the above the lows can get tweaked on the speaker tab (low res freq). Whem using loads of depth also try to change depth freq.

Not to forget, when tweaking, crank the listening volume way up, you then can reduce the amps gain further which helps a lot...that's simply part of the sound of real amps.

The new Swap Scene function in Layout->Tools fails to swap the midi blocks for the scenes. Copy Scene also fails to copy the midi block from one scene to another. I have a several different midi blocks with different control changes per preset that rely on scene changes. My understanding is that midi blocks are scene dependent.
Why not copy the complete scene including the midi block?
Raise this as a bug...

...Anyway, it’s 9:30pm and I’m starting to prep my dinner, been playing since I came back from work at 5:00pm... It’s addictive, there should be a warning posted on the FAS web site...

A common suggestion around here is to put a photo of your wife and kids (if applicable) somewhere near your guitar rig so you can remember what they look like. A few weeks after I got my first Axe-Fx I stopped for a break one day and was wondering who that good-looking lady was and why she was hanging around my house. Turns out she was my wife. :rolleyes: :D

done a couple of gigs with 8 now and at volume, the improvement is way more apparent. the highs definitely seem more silky and everything feels more "balanced" if that makes sense. if cliff stopped right here, i certainly would't be disappointed!

Back
Top Bottom