Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.04

That’s the wah-less way of doing it! There’s a vocal-like effect with the wah that the selector switch method just doesn’t do.Switching the pickups rapidly is close but absolutely no cigar.

Anyways though, he accomplished the effect by quickly engaging and disengaging the wah while slamming the wah from heel to toe. If you listen to the Woodstock national anthem (2:45) he does it towards the end too. I love that effect and the firmware update kind of took that capability away.

You can see him do this at 36 seconds into the video. The only thing he does with the selector switch is that he flips it to the bridge so the effect is more pronounced.

Cool video! Thanks for sharing that!!

⚠️🐞Possible BUG Report

Compressor Block
Studio FF Compressor
Knee Type: Hard
Threshold: ~12db

Issue:
Yellow circle level indicator in AXE Edit III 1.12.13 does not move when set to knee type : hard and "high-ish ~ -12db" threshold (Line or Instrument)
All other knee types seems to make it move fine
Not a bug, the threshold is set too high. Lower the threshold and it moves around fine.

If you're referring to the opening riff, it's not a rapid off/on, it's all heel/toe movement.
Not quite heel-to-toe, but it is the wah, about half-way to toe down.

Anyways though, he accomplished the effect by quickly engaging and disengaging the wah while slamming the wah from heel to toe. If you listen to the Woodstock national anthem (2:45) he does it towards the end too.

It is a combo of swift heel toe movement while rapidly triggering the wah on and off.

Sorry, but no. What he might have done at Woodstock doesn’t apply here.

He’s definitely NOT switching the wah on and off, because the lows on his Strat into the Marshall amps never kick in like they would if the wah was bypassed, he‘s still rocking it. Also, to bypass then re-engage the wah takes two full toe down motions because it’s a latching on/off switch, so the bypass to engage sound is very obvious which would cause the wah sound to be very different. Having used those wahs, and still having one, it’s something we’d want to avoid if we wanted Hendrix’s sound. You can see when the wah is bypassed by the position of the pedal, it’s flush against the top of the wah body where before it was above the switch and you can hear the sound difference when he bypasses the wah before he steps on the fuzz-face.

Hendrix also was known to use the pickup switch to rapidly flick between pickups, which didn’t give a wah sound. When he does it it’s easy to hear the various pickups cutting in and out as the switch moves.

I love that effect and the firmware update kind of took that capability away.
Then adjust the Wah parameters. Odds are really good you can find the sound you want. Also, remember that the wah sound relies on the impedance of the pickups, so make sure that block is first in the chain and auto-impedance is on so the modeler can react correctly.

Last edited:
Not quite heel-to-toe, but it is the wah, about half-way to toe down.

Sorry, but no. What he might have done at Woodstock doesn’t apply here.

He’s definitely NOT switching the wah on and off, because the lows on his Strat into the Marshall amps never kick in like they would if the wah was bypassed, he‘s still rocking it. Also, to bypass then re-engage the wah takes two full toe down motions because it’s a latching on/off switch, so the bypass to engage sound is very obvious which would cause the wah sound to be very different. Having used those wahs, and still having one, it’s something we’d want to avoid if we wanted Hendrix’s sound. You can see when the wah is bypassed by the position of the pedal, it’s flush against the top of the wah body where before it was above the switch and you can hear the sound difference when he bypasses the wah before he steps on the fuzz-face.

Hendrix also was known to use the pickup switch to rapidly flick between pickups, which didn’t give a wah sound. When he does it it’s easy to hear the various pickups cutting in and out as the switch moves.

Then adjust the Wah parameters. Odds are really good you can find the sound you want. Also, remember that the wah sound relies on the impedance of the pickups, so make sure that block is first in the chain and auto-impedance is on so the modeler can react correctly.

How on earth could you say that what he did at Woodstock doesn’t apply here!? That’s a ridiculous statement. What he did at Woodstock absolutely applies here. In fact, here is a clear angle of him at Woodstock achieving this effect.

2:43

In comparison to the previous video I posted, he doesn’t even go for flipping the selector switch, and he’s making a visible effort to bypass the wah on and off. His foot was fast and I feel that’s pretty common knowledge for anybody that studies him. You don’t get that effect by rapidly rocking pedal back-and-forth while it’s solely engaged.

Not saying that he never used the selector switch achieve a similar effect, but I’ve never heard it come close when anybody does it that way in this context. The difference in the qualities of the effect achieved and the upper harmonics during the effect between both methods is distinct. Would you be able to demonstrate the switch method in any way? Via a video or anything else? I posted some more videos below with timestamps to further prove my point. Including example of Stevie Ray Vaughan, who was as authentic and as true to Hendrix as anybody.

I’ve been studying and playing Hendrix for close to 20 years, and I know I’m right on the head with how he did this. To address your statement about using the same wah, I don't doubt you've used/own the same wah model and maybe even year as he did. I'm also assuming you are aware that his wahs, and other pedals were heavily modified by Roger Mayer all the time. So unless you used the same wah modified in the same way as his, which changed all the time, how can that experience apply?

To engage the wah when it’s bypassed, that is a single foot down motion whether the pedal is flush against the chassis, or in the heel down position. After that, you heel back (about half way or more if you’d like) which swept the wah then push forward again and IN THAT SAME MOTION, the wah is disengaged. Then the cycle repeats with the same heel movement motioned as mentioned above, but with the wah disengaged. So again, It’s a single motion down motion to sweep the wah and turn it on, a single heel motion to sweep backwards through as little or as much of the wah as you wanted, then a single foot down motion to push the sweep forward then disengage.

Either way, I reverted to 21.02 and am a happy guy as it’s still achievable with that firmware. All the tweaking in the world with the wah block did not get me there with 21.04. That is done behind the scenes which Cliff implies as he tweaked that parameter for various blocks for this firmware release.

1:36

0:42

This example doesn’t allow playback outside of youtube

Search: Jimi Hendrix at the BBC live [Colourised] 1969
0:39

Last edited:
I always thought that sound was the Uni-Vibe using the expression pedal.
I cant post pictures or other links here for some reason so google "Hendrix Woodstock pedals boost". There should be an article from Boost Guitar Pedals's website about the pedals Hendrix used during Woodstock. The picture I'm referring to is second picture down from the top before they talk about the pedals he used, about 2/3rds down the page.

Also, I can understand why it could be interpreted that way. However, take a look at his pedals and the order of them. If we are facing directly towards Hendrix on stage, you'll notice that the wah is to our left. At 2:44 in the national anthem video above, he heads all the way to the left and then the effect starts. That would be where the wah is. To your credit as well, he appears to be manipulating the univibe pedal right before he messes with the wah.

Last edited:
I don't know what was improved in this firmware, but it forced me to change my approach. I almost religiously used Hi-cut Low-cut in the cab block, on all my presets. Now I have started to remove it on most of my presets, and it sounds fine. I can get most of the adjustments now out of the amp block, instead of trying to correct it post amp. Amazing guitar rig, thank you FAS.

I don't know what was improved in this firmware, but it forced me to change my approach. I almost religiously used Hi-cut Low-cut in the cab block, on all my presets. Now I have started to remove it on most of my presets, and it sounds fine. I can get most of the adjustments now out of the amp block, instead of trying to correct it post amp. Amazing guitar rig, thank you FAS.
which version did you use before?

Curious what IRs you are using that you are able to do this. Many IRs I find have such insane amounts of unusable low end, I cannot imagine not at least rolling off a little. Thanks

Curious what IRs you are using that you are able to do this. Many IRs I find have such insane amounts of unusable low end, I cannot imagine not at least rolling off a little. Thanks
I pre Eq before the amp block. FET Boost, low cut set 100 hi cut 5k to 7k range. Gain 5 or 6, level 5 or 6, all else default. Stock IR's. Just audition until I hear what I like, and then just adjust the amp to fine tune. If the IR has too much low-end or highs, I just move along to the next one.

I've been studying and playing Hendrix for close to 20 years, and I know I’m right on the head with how he did this.

To engage the wah when it’s bypassed, that is a single foot down motion whether the pedal is flush against the chassis, or in the heel down position. After that, you heel back (about half way or more if you’d like) which swept the wah then push forward again and IN THAT SAME MOTION, the wah is disengaged. Then the cycle repeats with the same heel movement motioned as mentioned above, but with the wah disengaged. So again, It’s a single motion down motion to sweep the wah and turn it on, a single heel motion to sweep backwards through as little or as much of the wah as you wanted, then a single foot down motion to push the sweep forward then disengage.

Either way, I reverted to 21.02 and am a happy guy as it’s still achievable with that firmware. All the tweaking in the world with the wah block did not get me there with 21.04. That is done behind the scenes which Cliff implies as he tweaked that parameter for various blocks for this firmware release.

I played in a Jimi Hendrix tribute band at one point and I know exactly what you are talking about. Before the internet I had Roger Mayer electronically customize my wahwah like he did for Jimi Hendrix. The frequency sweep is slightly different than stock ones. There is a small rubber pad near the on off button. He said Jimi had him exchange this for one that was much easier to turn on and off, or take it out completely, precisely to achieve the effect you are talking about. While you can get kind of a similar sound switching the pickup switch back and forth quickly it is not the same sound. I have not tried to achieve what you want with the way and new firmware, so I don't know if it is possible or not. I would think it would be. If it isn't possible there is a good chance Cliff will make it possible in the near future if he thinks it is something users want. Do I understand you correctly that it is possible if you use a mission engineering pedal (but not something like a Boss EV-5)?

I played in a Jimi Hendrix tribute band at one point and I know exactly what you are talking about. Before the internet I had Roger Mayer electronically customize my wahwah like he did for Jimi Hendrix. The frequency sweep is slightly different than stock ones. There is a small rubber pad near the on off button. He said Jimi had him exchange this for one that was much easier to turn on and off, or take it out completely, precisely to achieve the effect you are talking about. While you can get kind of a similar sound switching the pickup switch back and forth quickly it is not the same sound. I have not tried to achieve what you want with the way and new firmware, so I don't know if it is possible or not. I would think it would be. If it isn't possible there is a good chance Cliff will make it possible in the near future if he thinks it is something users want. Do I understand you correctly that it is possible if you use a mission engineering pedal (but not something like a Boss EV-5)?
Wow this was cool to read! Thanks for sharing. Pretty neat you got Roger to modify your wah in the same way. And yes, I'm specifically talking about a Mission Engineering SP-1. It has 2 outputs, one for the pedal and one for the bypass switch in the same housing. I'm not sure if there are any similar pedals to the SP-1 outside of Mission Engineering, but if there are I'd love to learn about them. And even with lightning fast tap dancing, I don't think it would be possible with something like an EV-5 as you would need to trigger the bypass on and off with a different switch outside of the pedal.

Last edited:
Just curious. I noticed while clicking around FAS site, that 21.04 FW isn't in the download section for FXIII. It's still at 21.01. The most current Edit is available. Anyone know the answer to this?

Just curious. I noticed while clicking around FAS site, that 21.04 FW isn't in the download section for FXIII. It's still at 21.01. The most current Edit is available. Anyone know the answer to this?
AFAIK when a FW reaches the main site it means it's the most stable current release, with no known bugs. Official releases (meaning Non-Beta) found in this forum while being really stable, might or might not contain one or two bugs that prevent them to release it into the main page to the general public.

After update 21, I noticed a malfunction in my FC-12 foot controller. The top two buttons do not work properly, specifically the first top from the left and the third from the left. I have to click several times to switch the scene with these buttons. Other buttons work smoothly and correctly. Could this be due to the latest update or is it more of a hardware defect?

Edit:
I will add that before all the buttons worked properly. The foot controller has not suffered any physical failure. It hasn't fallen anywhere or been hit.

Last edited:
After update 21, I noticed a malfunction in my FC-12 foot controller. The top two buttons do not work properly, specifically the first top from the left and the third from the left. I have to click several times to switch the scene with these buttons. Other buttons work smoothly and correctly. Could this be due to the latest update or is it more of a hardware defect?
Revert back to the last firmware that you know it worked for, and see if that fixes it. If not, there’s probably beer in there

Edit:
I will add that before all the buttons worked properly. The foot controller has not suffered any physical failure. It hasn't fallen anywhere or been hit.

I hate to say, but it may not be a software bug; however, it may also be a quick repair.

An FC12 button stopped functioning for me out of nowhere some time ago, (mine also had suffered no trauma), but it wasn't until now that I sent it in. It turns out the continuity of the button itself was out of spec. The unit on its way back to me now.

Just contact support and they'll help you troubleshoot; they fixed mine the day it got to them, and everyone I dealt with was very friendly and helpful. You may still be under warranty, but for my unit it was an inexpensive repair. The upshot is, although hardware problems can happen with even the best stuff out there, it's how a company deals with it that sets them apart. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom