Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.04

Hey gang, here's a silly question ..... I've been going to the Fractal web site for AxeFXIII firmware updates (https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/). This site has ver 21.01 posted as the latest (since Nov. 28, 2022). Yesterday I did a system backup and Fractal Bot informed me that there is a new version available...ver. 21.04....(?)
Where does one go to see (and download) the current firmware available?
Thanks so much!

Has anyone had issues updating to this firmware? I'm #$@*ing over here close to tears for not doing a full backup because updating 21.02 > 21.04 has wiped my most used presets and blanked them all out!!! I've been an AFX user since AFX2 and never had a firmware wipe presets. It's of course my fault for not doing a full backup but OMFG I didn't expect it to wipe out specifically everything I worked on since upgrading from 20 to 21!!

BE WARNED!!! THIS UPDATE MAY WIPE PRESETS!!!

Has anyone had issues updating to this firmware? I'm #$@*ing over here close to tears for not doing a full backup because updating 21.02 > 21.04 has wiped my most used presets and blanked them all out!!! I've been an AFX user since AFX2 and never had a firmware wipe presets. It's of course my fault for not doing a full backup but OMFG I didn't expect it to wipe out specifically everything I worked on since upgrading from 20 to 21!!

I have never seen, or heard, of that happening.

REVERTING to a previous firmware can hide presets if they were created or edited in a later version. Returning to the most recent firmware, or whatever version they were edited under, will make them reappear.

Backing up immediately prior to installing, or reverting, firmware is always a good idea.

Are you use it was 21.02 to 21.04? It wasn't 22.01 and maybe you downgraded to 21.04?

Hey gang, here's a silly question ..... I've been going to the Fractal web site for AxeFXIII firmware updates (https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/). This site has ver 21.01 posted as the latest (since Nov. 28, 2022). Yesterday I did a system backup and Fractal Bot informed me that there is a new version available...ver. 21.04....(?)
Where does one go to see (and download) the current firmware available?
Thanks so much!
There are two places to watch:
  1. Fractalaudio.com's Support > Downloads section for your modeler will have the most current full-release of the firmware.
  2. Fractal will pin a current open-beta version at the top of the modeler's sub-forum until it moves to full-release. Be aware that those are BETA, and can, and probably do, contain bugs and often can have a rapid upgrade cycle. Regular backups are recommended.

Are you use it was 21.02 to 21.04? It wasn't 22.01 and maybe you downgraded to 21.04?

OMFG.... I am a complete idiot. Yup that's what my stupid ass did. I friggin downgraded and installed 21.04 instead of 22.04. I'm gonna guess they're not going to show back up magically when I install 22.04 eh? UUUUGH excuse me while I go walk into traffic now. I was in the middle of recording a track and now all my patches used in the recording are gone. That's what I get for not backing up daily while recording. Thanks for the sanity check. F*&K!!!

I'm gonna guess they're not going to show back up magically when I install 22.04 eh?
Since 22.04 doesn't exist (yet) that'd be a safe guess.

Reinstall 22.01 and they'll reappear. But, you can't do a backup then switch to 21.04 and reload them; That trick doesn't work. The presets contain the version number of the last firmware somewhere inside them, and for safety, and to avoid confusion, the firmware hides "future" changes.

That's what I get for not backing up daily while recording.
That's probably a good idea. The nice thing is, you can back-up the bank containing the preset, and the user cabs, and then .zip them into a single archive and reduce the size to less than either one. Keep the .zips in your recording directory hierarchy and back them all up together. For extra safety, you probably should also store the firmware .syx file in the .zip in case you ever have to revert.

So, this post for 21.04 is stickied. My dumb ass read it as an update for 22.04. I downloaded and installed it. I've reinstalled 22.01 and it's restored my patches like you all said. So, again, Fractal saving my ass by having features like this for people like me who don't know the difference between a 1 and a 2.

Thank you all for your replies and help. I'm going to go grab a bottle of bourbon now and reflect on my life choices.

That's probably a good idea. The nice thing is, you can back-up the bank containing the preset, and the user cabs, and then .zip them into a single archive and reduce the size to less than either one. Keep the .zips in your recording directory hierarchy and back them all up together. For extra safety, you probably should also store the firmware .syx file in the .zip in case you ever have to revert.

For about a year I was putting copies of all the presets and the FW I was on at that time in the song’s respective folders. Definitely smart to do if you’ll feel you need/want revisions in the future.

I ultimately stopped doing it and have taken on a use-once-and-destroy approach to my presets/songs. It keeps me from getting too wrapped up in options. I even stopped recording DI’s for guitars. YOLO and all that jazz.

So, this post for 21.04 is stickied. My dumb ass read it as an update for 22.04. I downloaded and installed it. I've reinstalled 22.01 and it's restored my patches like you all said. So, again, Fractal saving my ass by having features like this for people like me who don't know the difference between a 1 and a 2.

Thank you all for your replies and help. I'm going to go grab a bottle of bourbon now and reflect on my life choices.
When we're rapidly moving through the private-beta updates, across the different modelers, it can get crazy trying to keep the versions straight. A little while back we had multiple updates over several days, and I was bouncing back and forth looking at something suspicious, and did the same thing, got my versions confused, and presets were missing. I've developed a healthy paranoia over the years so I backup up very often, so I rolled everything back to a known starting point, then started the process again. It added a couple hours to what I was trying to accomplish, and, yes, later I had something strong to sip.

Back
Top Bottom