Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plugged into an A/B box tonight and was going back and forth between my 1959SLP and Marshall 4x12 cab with greenbacks and comparing it with the preset I'd built in the Axe FXIII to match it. For clean Hendrix like sounds I normally leave the presence control set to 0 on the real amp. I was surprised to discover I had to set the presence control to 5 on the Axe FXIII to match the brightness and presence of my real amp with the presence set to 0. The real amp was much brighter and had way more mids and at the same settings. I could not find an IR that had the same midrange and presence that my cab had so I compensated with a parametric eq and I was able to get a good sound that was very close. The new firmware sounds good to me.

I've read through this whole thread and my question was touched on, but not sure it was answered.

I've updated to fw21, but never installed any of the betas. I've done the refresh, but there are settings that are different if I do a channel reset on any amp.

Its mainly in the Speaker page of the amp block. If I channel reset, most of these change. Is there a way to update all the presets to get the most recent settings without losing the tone page settings? Or did I do something wrong in the update.

Thanks

I've read through this whole thread and my question was touched on, but not sure it was answered.

I've updated to fw21, but never installed any of the betas. I've done the refresh, but there are settings that are different if I do a channel reset on any amp.

Its mainly in the Speaker page of the amp block. If I channel reset, most of these change. Is there a way to update all the presets to get the most recent settings without losing the tone page settings? Or did I do something wrong in the update.

Thanks
channel reset reverts block settings back to stock which is not likely what you want to do. As per release notes, updated parameter defaults that go with this fw are automatically applied at preset load (and saved with preset save). Fractal listed possibly changed parameters here.

Last edited:
channel reset reverts block settings back to stock which is not likely what you want to do. Updated parameter defaults that go with this fw update are automatically applied at preset load (and saved with preset save). Fractal listed changed parameters here.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure which settings were the newer version.

When I updated as expected all the presets were erased, which presets do I install that go with this firmware release?

I think there’s some confusion here, your presets don’t get erased when installing a new FW, nor are there any presets specific to a FW update. I’m not even sure how you could end up with all your presets being erased without going through the deletion process in the Preset Manager.

When I updated as expected all the presets were erased, which presets do I install that go with this firmware release?
If you are sure this happened, try installing the update again, as this should not have happened. You can also go here, (https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/), to get what you need with regard to firmware and presets. However, many presets were updated since the latest firmware. And if I'm correct, they will update when installing the latest firmware.

If you are sure this happened, try installing the update again, as this should not have happened. You can also go here, (https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/), to get what you need with regard to firmware and presets. However, many presets were updated since the latest firmware. And if I'm correct, they will update when installing the latest firmware.
Yep re-installed the FW - and the presets came back. TYTY

You don’t say which firmware version number you were on initially and what you changed to.

Presets are never erased by firmware.

What could happen is that you inadvertently installed an older firmware, perhaps v.3, over a v.4 beta. In that case the older version will not display the presets that were touched by the newer firmware. If that’s what happened you can revert back to the newer firmware version which will reveal the presets again, or restore the presets from a backup made using the older firmware version prior to updating to firmware. It’s always important to do a backup prior to updating the firmware for this reason.

If you are sure this happened, try installing the update again, as this should not have happened. You can also go here, (https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/), to get what you need with regard to firmware and presets.
I think this needs clarification.
  1. Reinstalling the firmware won’t cause presets to reappear if the firmware previously installed is older. Presets that are hidden are because they were touched by a newer version of the firmware. Either reinstall the newer firmware version or restore the presets from a backup that was made using the older version of the firmware.
  2. Only factory presets are available for download.
  3. Presets are never installed by firmware.
However, many presets were updated since the latest firmware. And if I'm correct, they will update when installing the latest firmware.
The firmware can adjust parameters in blocks, or occasionally add new or rename, or remove unnecessary parameters, which will then result in the preset being tagged as having been adjusted by the newer firmware.

And, as I understand it, THAT will cause older firmware to keep its hands off the preset and trigger it not being visible. So, even if a preset had no parameters that were updated, the fact that the newer firmware touched it can trigger invisibility. I guess it's like our kids making up invisible "cooties".

Yep re-installed the FW - and the presets came back. TYTY
Glad you go it fixed. Sometimes weird issues can happen, when updating. I've had the same issue before, as well as unit not booting. Years ago, if I used Fractal Bot to update an official release, I would have an issue where the firmware update would just freeze. I never figured that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom