Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate 2 (Beta 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it a lot more than the old version of the amp. The original Herbert is too dark, fuzzy, compressed and muddy IMO. Sounds great playing alone but when I play along with a recording it just gets lost. The new Herbert is tighter and sits in the mix better.
Praise The Lord GIF by Soul Train

Is there any way to have our fractals upgraded with Turbo? I keep hearing of people recieving this option yet support email has told me not an option. I cannot run my presets the way they need to sound before maxing out CPU. And I can't drop 2G on a new unit anytime a small feature comes out. This should be a nothingburger to offer and I really need that chip sent to me otherwise its nothing but hair pulling.

Is there any way to have our fractals upgraded with Turbo? I keep hearing of people recieving this option yet support email has told me not an option. I cannot run my presets the way they need to sound before maxing out CPU. And I can't drop 2G on a new unit anytime a small feature comes out. This should be a nothingburger to offer and I really need that chip sent to me otherwise its nothing but hair pulling.
If Fractal support told you "no", why are you asking here?

You're not going to get a different answer. If you did it would be wrong.

They have said from the beginning it's not an upgradeable part.

Also, how is your post related in any way to the beta firmware that this thread is about?

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/21p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_21p00_beta8.zip

NOTE: You MUST perform a Refresh After Firmware Update if using Axe-Edit and you were using one of the 21.00 betas prior to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling:

• Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
  • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics, improved low frequency accuracy and more accurate interaction with output transformer.
  • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
  • Improved triode algorithm more accurately models plate bypass capacitors.
  • Improved dynamic frequency response accuracy. This yields more “crunch” and less “fizz” with high gain tones, especially for detuned styles.
  • Various other improvements.
  • All amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load.

Improved Drive block modeling to more accurately model effects of op-amp finite open-loop gain and GBW product.

Added “Griddle Cake” Drive model based on a Crowther Hot Cake. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.

Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.

Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.

The Ideal amp controls have been updated.

Added Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H.

Added Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped Amp model. This is simply the jumped version of the Plexi 50W 6CA7.

Added features to the IR Capture Utility. The manual will be updated with the relevant information.

Renamed USA Clean to USA Rhythm 1 to be more in line with actual amp.

Reduced CPU usage in some cases.

Changed tone stack tapers for Class-A 30W TB to vintage specs.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in USA JP IIC+ models when Presence Shift is off.

Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.

Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.

Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.

Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.

Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.

Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value and wrong feedback network connection in Energyball model.

Fixed missing resistor in Euro Uber tone stack.

Fixed High Mid control in Drive block set to minimum when importing presets created prior to 19.01.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Massive THanks! superb

You can ‘upgrade’ your order from standard to turbo, but once you’ve got the unit you can’t upgrade the DSP chip inside it. Like a car I guess.

You could probably find some CPU savings with your standard. Turning down reverb quality is a big saver, and I honestly can’t hear much difference. I think Cooper or Leon has a video about shaving off CPU usage?

You can ‘upgrade’ your order from standard to turbo, but once you’ve got the unit you can’t upgrade the DSP chip inside it. Like a car I guess.

You could probably find some CPU savings with your standard. Turning down reverb quality is a big saver, and I honestly can’t hear much difference. I think Cooper or Leon has a video about shaving off CPU usage?
Also using plex delay as reverb... Again 2112 made a video with great tricks and i m able to have 2 delays + multidelay +pitch+plex delay +ultra res cab with fm3.

That’s actually what the input boost in the amp is for, to get the drive in front of amp effect without the cpu of a whole drive block. People still seem to like using an actual drive block, but that’s another way to save CPU.

If you want some input on this, start another thread called ‘help me reduce CPU’, and post your preset there. You’ll get lots of feedback, too much to put in a beta thread.

That’s actually what the input boost in the amp is for, to get the drive in front of amp effect without the cpu of a whole drive block. People still seem to like using an actual drive block, but that’s another way to save CPU.

If you want some input on this, start another thread called ‘help me reduce CPU’, and post your preset there. You’ll get lots of feedback, too much to put in a beta thread.
yes, but for example, with same settings, ts808 as drive block sounds different than input boost with ts808 type. drive block is fatter, input boost thinner.

Okay, I'm getting the most satisfying chugalug lug I've ever gotten right now, from the 5150 II Lead Channel (PVH 6160+ Lead), just with the most ridiculous mids that perfectly settle with the rage inside of me. I'm running it into an IR capture from TH-U of a 57 in front of a 5150 cab. Holy Crap. I feel like that slow motion shot of Casey Affleck destroying that guy in Good Will Hunting. This is a good night.
I am forever trying to get “that” sound of metalcore from the mid 2000s to 2010s. Can you share any tips or PM me? 😎

Thankyou Cliff and team. Updated and no problems to report. Energyball is sounding sweet again. I don't know what it is about this model but it is the only one (that I'm aware of) that I find a drive pedal gets in the way and detracts from the tone. With the amp gain on 6.5ish it gives me all I need for a great, fluid, high gain tone. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom