Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta (Beta 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't know if it has been posted, but the London Town Tall SIC is missing in the list. Was it a redundancy in the Marshall pantheon?

bassist checking in! installed right before church today and didn't have to make a single change to my dual amp ods100 clean/portabass patch. my dynamics sounded crystal clear, small changes on the instrument volume responded just as i would expect real amps to respond, and the resonance on each note felt bouncy and vibrant. makes going up the neck or pedaling nines on the chord even more exciting.

if there's one phrase i'd use for cygnus x-2 it would be "the HDR update". highly recommended for all beta fw enjoyers

bassist checking in! installed right before church today and didn't have to make a single change to my dual amp ods100 clean/portabass patch. my dynamics sounded crystal clear, small changes on the instrument volume responded just as i would expect real amps to respond, and the resonance on each note felt bouncy and vibrant. makes going up the neck or pedaling nines on the chord even more exciting.

if there's one phrase i'd use for cygnus x-2 it would be "the HDR update". highly recommended for all beta fw enjoyers
I've been looking for a preset like that. Would you mind sharing yours?

21.00 beta [...] the Negative Feedback had been set back to stock values on amps that I had adjusted this on
Thanks for the head's up!

Might happen also for Transformer Match. Will have to check.

Last edited:
I think I might like the Griddle Cake as a clean boost for high-gain amps even more than the old standard tube screamer model. Seems like it filters the sound less while still adding the right amount of oomph. Nice stuff!

I may be in the minority here. But I think that the original incorrect Brit Studio 20 model is a little hyped. I don't see the added value of keeping it as a FAS model.
That's what I said, let's compare it to the real deal before asking for it to be included. But I got some flack for suggesting that at the time. The real deal, to my ears, sounds better!

I actually stepped down from my role in the band so I could stay home with my family and focus on my business, so I’m not touring with them anymore. It’s cool though because they’re using my IRs out on the road, so I still feel like I’m a part of what they’re doing.
I'm sure you aren't allowed to share the secret sauce that they're using as far as the amp models and IRs for live sound?

Good stuff.
That'll be my next port of call... connecting up a p-bass [which is a bassy bass] and putting the bass response of the new beta to the ultimate test.
Tonight I was using the S of a Jem into the Fender Twin. Normally when I switch to the neck H it becomes too flubby. Not this time!

That's what I said, let's compare it to the real deal [...] The real deal, to my ears, sounds better!
The "WAY off" Brit 20 sounded unique to me, maybe different (ballsier) than a classic plexi or any other amp in the box? Probably cause it was broken! 😎

Still, I liked it.

Last edited:
Dude, I finally got to try the new firmware. I haven’t compared side by side, and each new firmware I’ll just dial in tones from scratch. Let me tell you, I’m getting along with models that have never really caught my attention before, like I just set an unbelievable edge of breakup tone from the 5152 Clean, a model I had never cared about at all before! I also got great results with the Deluxe Tweed, AD30, and RV50 right away, amps I rarely touch. With the Deluxe Tweed I had never before been able to get a tone I liked from it, but today was different.

Here’s how I’ve been doing it just for maximum realism:

I first chose an IR for which there exists a Speaker Impedance Curve,

then I reset the amp block,

next I selected the matching SIC,

then I set the Speaker Thump to match using my guess of the proper formula (amp wattage divided by combined speaker wattage multiplied by 5),

then I set the Speaker Impedance on the Power Amp page by ear for the most pleasing frequency response (from what I glean, real world speaker impedance varies enough to where I may as well just go by ear here no matter what),

then messed with the authentic page parameters as normal.

This is all completely unnecessary with all the power and flexibility in the unit, but for getting familiar with new firmware, I think setting things up for the closest to real world variables helps me just to get a feel for what’s changed, then I go as far as I want to mod from there, forgetting about the real world and just turning knobs until stuff sounds best.

Anyway, I read so much about the high gain amps, I just had to start digging in, and at least for the 5150, 5150 II, and VH4 Silver, I absolutely hear that tightness. It was like instant studio top tier metal tones, not only with tightness and heft, but also nuance and personality. It felt so good!
I had not felt that anything was missing before, but really, right away I felt a big difference that was like instant “rightness.” One surprising thing to me was that I had struggled for a while with a harshness with the way my guitar hit the lead channel of the 5150 II, but that was utterly gone now, replaced with utterly perfect metal!

With this new algorithm I will note totally go through all the models again to see how they interact with my guitar. I feel like I got a brand new AxeFX with this firmware. I mean, these tweaks have a gargantuan impact to my ears. I instantly got the best rock tone ever from the BE V1, and everything I touched just felt effortlessly characterful and really pleasing to hear, just with the very basic method I outlined above. And of course I can fine tune from there. I was aware that this thing essentially gives you wings, but now it’s just way even easier to me to get wherever I want to go in tone.

I didn’t even get to my favorite amps of recency, the Plexis, or to any pedals at all! I’m like a kid in a freakin’ candy store.

It’s hard to withhold gushing about these updates, but they really are tremendous to me, so I eternally sound like I’m hopped up on goofballs or something. But I don’t care; this kind of effortless tone shaping is what I think a lot of us dream about, so you can get past your tone right away and focus better on playing, writing, standing in cool poses, attracting groupies, or whatever it is we as individuals care about when we pick up our instruments. What a time to be a guitarist.

Thanks as always to Cliff and all the engineers who work endlessly to make the best even better. I’m shocked both that this product exists and that I own one.

Can't wait for this to trickle down to the FM9, since that's my main unit lately. Ever since the last FW let me get my 'kitchen sink' preset(s) on without needing to offload the post-amp FX to the FX3, I've been really focusing on what the FM9 can do by itself, and enjoying playing more and tweaking less. Hopefully the new baby Marshall that caused such a stir will be accompanied by the Fractal "modded by accident" version everyone says sounds so great... :)
Same, looking forward to the FM9 version now that it's my main go to.

My brother was just talking to me a couple weeks ago about how two of his real amps do this same underlying lo-fi/fuzzy/filter thing. It’s crazy how Fractal’s modeling goes so deep and detailed that you even get the “warts” of an amp, in a good way… it makes a Plexi feel more alive and volatile just like it should.

I’m excited to dig into this FW and check out the 2204 and Recto models and mess with some different tube options. My ‘76 50w JMP (2204) has 6550s and sounds absurdly good, so I’m hoping this model can get close so I can save my ear
I actually stepped down from my role in the band so I could stay home with my family and focus on my business, so I’m not touring with them anymore. It’s cool though because they’re using my IRs out on the road, so I still feel like I’m a part of what they’re doing.
They are on live right now on Hulu Austin City Limits fest

brian's tones sound great!

... taylor's too i guess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom