Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta (Beta 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the Diamond Fire amp was released I went through the process of trying to discover what that overlayed sound is, and it turns out it's fizz, and if you did want to mod any amp to reduce it, Master Bias Excursion turned down is the simplest way to get there, according to Cliff. And you can also mess with the other bias excursion parameters too.

This sounds really, really good! Seems like presets change super-fast from the front panel that I don't remember from before. Thanks Cliff!!!

I've found a weird bug when changing amp channels from the front panel. Switching to channel B on two different presets loses sound like amp volume drops and reverb is all the way up.

I did spend a bunch of time on 20.04 dialing in low end so not sure if that has changed again with this new Fw21
That’s night and day between 20.04/21.00 concerning the low end. I have already corrected 100+ amps. 95% of amps don’t need low cut anymore. They already have it. Good luck 😅

And at the opposite, some amps needs to be “opened” if a high cut was there . The high cut value changed for some too . Well that’s a huge one

That’s night and day between 20.04/21.00 concerning the low end. I have already corrected 100+ amps. 95% of amps don’t need low cut anymore. They already have it. Good luck 😅

And at the opposite, some amps needs to be “opened” if a high cut was there . The high cut value changed for some too . Well that’s a huge one
I guess that'll keep you busy and out of trouble for a spell.... :)

I have "prompt save on edit" set and when I only change scenes (no parameter changes) and then change to another preset it's prompting me to save. Previously scene changes in a preser never triggered that prompt.

Anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: User error! Had "Indicate edited on scene change" ON. Hadn't noticed that parameter before.

Last edited:
I have "prompt save on edit" set and when I only change scenes (no parameter changes) and then change to another preset it's prompting me to save. Previously scene changes in a preser never triggered that prompt.

Anyone else seeing this?
There's another setting about scene changes affecting edited status. Check and see if that's on or off.

Not sure if affects Prompt on Edited or not since I don't use that...

Can't tell if it sounds even better or if I just had a really good playing day. Perhaps he finally added the elusive talent block.
In all honesty though - I will say that the Axe HAS definitely made me play better because I started playing more, and because I love it so much. The talent block is like an Easter egg that is in there but we'll never be able to put on the grid. hahah

My brother was just talking to me a couple weeks ago about how two of his real amps do this same underlying lo-fi/fuzzy/filter thing. It’s crazy how Fractal’s modeling goes so deep and detailed that you even get the “warts” of an amp, in a good way… it makes a Plexi feel more alive and volatile just like it should.

I’m excited to dig into this FW and check out the 2204 and Recto models and mess with some different tube options. My ‘76 50w JMP (2204) has 6550s and sounds absurdly good, so I’m hoping this model can get close so I can save my ears.
So when is this brother of yours and his adorably awesome cohort gonna drag you and your phlanx of Fractals out on the road for us to marvel upon…?:cool:

Don’t know why the clean channel got so many bad reviews as I always loved the clean channel in the single, roadster and roadking . And they are super friendly with external distortion pedals . Not the case of the JP2c and the mark series were distortion units sound like shit plugged in front of them (to me) .
The only problem is that channel 1 is really quieter than the others channels : when You switch to what I called “a real clean” with zero distortion, to another channel you don’t have enough power in ch1 . I end up using external dist pedal to have a good balance live, staying in channel one ….
But sure !

And the badlander for Christmas ! 😅🎉

The clean channel on the older Rectos were nothing to write home about. Road Kings had the same clean channel as the Lone Star (at least series 2 models did IIRC). I believe Multi-Watt Rectos (which the Recto 2 is based) have their own thing going on but maybe not. Might just be cloned from the Mark series?

The B-H curve is essentially the inductance of a transformer vs. applied magnetic force. A transformer is a very nonlinear device. At very low and very high flux intensity the inductance is less than at nominal. Furthermore the curve has hysteresis so the inductance decreases when the flux changes direction.
I think we need a separate thread dedicated just to this comment. I believe many here would have a lot to say about this.

Added Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H.

Added Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped Amp model. This is simply the jumped version of the Plexi 50W 6CA7.

Improved modeling accuracy for following Amp models:

• Plexi 50W Jumped
  • Plexi 100W Jumped
  • Brit JM45 Jumped
  • 1987X Jumped
  • 1959SLP Jumped
  • Plexi 100W 1970
  • Deluxe Tweed Jumped

I was so excited about the improved modelling to some of the Marshalls that I didn't even notice we got two new ones! Nice. Very, very nice.

giphy.gif

• Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
  • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics and improved low frequency accuracy.
  • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
  • Various other improvements.
I was adjusting a preset that uses a dimed Deluxe Verb Vibrato, and another that uses the ODS-100 Ford, and both are really revealing the sound of the guitar. Switching pickup combinations on my PRS 509 and rolling the volume up and down sounded great. It keeps getting better and better Cliff!

Over the last few weeks, I had my FM9 and FX3 at a local blues jam because I wanted to get the opinions of some other players on the ODS-100 Ford and to listen to my rig in the room critically. I was happy with how it felt, and how it sounded, and got very positive remarks about the sound and feel. The only negative comment was basically due to option paralysis having too many switches on the floor, even though I treat those presets like single-channel amps. :) I can't fault the gear for that. And, as a result of doing that, I'm now looking at selling my pedal board and one of my tube combos because the Fractals are much more flexible.

The B-H curve is essentially the inductance of a transformer vs. applied magnetic force. A transformer is a very nonlinear device. At very low and very high flux intensity the inductance is less than at nominal. Furthermore the curve has hysteresis so the inductance decreases when the flux changes direction.
I think we need a separate thread dedicated just to this comment. I believe many here would have a lot to say about this.
Gotta love me some good hysteresis!

Actually many organic processes have an inherent hysteresis, e.g. cells, ears, brains.

https://byjus.com/jee/hysteresis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom