Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #4 (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what to tell you. There were no changes to the algorithms or the Fender or Vox models. I have the files right here and doing a diff shows no changes.

[EDIT] I should mention that I reduced the speaker drive by 50%. So to get the same amount of speaker drive as before you will need to double the value, i.e., if you had speaker drive set to 2.00 you will need to set it to 4.00 to get the same amount of speaker breakup.
Thanks for your tip, I'll try that tomorrow and give you feedback.

Makes me wonder if there is any more to improve on significantly (modelling wise) to make a practical difference

Without letting out any proprietary secrets of course 👀

@FractalAudio
I am not FAS but

I think there is always going to be something as Cliff said in this one he has finally solved things that have bothered him for years

I think Fractal absolutely nailed the
The low end response on this one
It’s clear articulate and still full
And actually gives you the option to turn up the bass a bit more if you want without fear of it getting wooly

I think if anything there might be small improvements more perhaps to certain models
But as a whole it’s pretty damn solid IMO

Hi
I am not FAS but

I think there is always going to be something as Cliff said in this one he has finally solved things that have bothered him for years

I think Fractal absolutely nailed the
The low end response on this one
It’s clear articulate and still full
And actually gives you the option to turn up the bass a bit more if you want without fear of it getting wooly

I think if anything there might be small improvements more perhaps to certain models
But as a whole it’s pretty damn solid IMO
if they stopped here, I’d be happy with what we got.

but knowing fractal it probably won’t stop anytime soon

My presets sounds great before and after but I’ll try to raise the bass more to experiment from what people are saying here.

I knoticed a drop in gain and volume on my Herbie 3 as well, matter of fact, 1,and scene 2 do as well…. Right now this is the amp I’m using, it does what I need it to do…
Interesting. While I noticed a slight drop in gain, my volume with the herb is louder. I can see that in my daw as well. Also the power amp sounds a tad different than on 20, maybe due to the fact that the "harmonics' value in the cathode follower changed compared to the previous firmware?
Anyway, please note, I don't say it sounds worse, just different and at least to my ears a bit better, because it has more mid bite (maybe perceived due to less bass). Sits a bit better in the mix and luckily we have a gain knob to make up for the loss of gain. Went from 3 to 3.5 ish on my preset...

All Hail to Cliff for dragging amps out of storage!

I was curious after reading about things having less gain on them, @la szum and I have said to each other before we thought the Master Volumes were a bit touchy with adding power amp distortion to an amp. Like turning up the MV on Recto Red 1 would start farting out a lot faster in the model than my experiences with the DR's I've owned, so I always kept them around 2-2.5 in my presets.

But now you can crank that MV up to 6 and I'm not hearing the farting out at all, the headroom meter still peaks but that's expected at that level. Then I went to the Speaker Drive and brought it from 0-2 and there was the same thing I was perceiving before as power amp distortion and it sounded like the amp was starting to fart out. Then I did the same thing with a Bassman and a Vibrolux and the results were the same. I thought that was power amp distortion this whole time.

So I went back to Beta 1 after trying Beta 4 for a bit. Beta 4 still feels a bit boomier, at least for Recto 2 Red Modern which is the only model I've tried. I made another reamp comparison of both.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but in Beta 1, Recto 2 Red Modern's default Grid Bias value is 50% whereas in Beta 4 it's 60%. The included preset was created in Beta 1 and changes the Grid Bias value when updating to Beta 4 but I'm sure this is by design.

I guess I'm just wondering if the fixes in Beta 3/4 were supposed to make the amp sound like Beta 1 again or if Beta 4 is indeed more accurate than Beta 1 for this model.

I'm not neurotic, you're neurotic.

Attachments

• Recto Test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
The 1959 SLP and Plexi 100 both sound off to me. I noticed a while back that that all of the tube screamer distortions sounded off to me, but I never mentioned it. Since this is a beta I thought I'd mention these things so you could double check them. I jumped straight from FW20.03.

Makes me wonder if there is any more to improve on significantly (modelling wise) to make a practical difference

Without letting out any proprietary secrets of course 👀

@FractalAudio
I'm sure some of the sims are still "dumbed down" due to the limits of the current DSPs. Those limits can be lifted in a hypothetical FX-IV in the future. I think of that as going "deeper" into the sims.

Going "wider" may be adding things like a component "age" parameter or some such additional computation that may be interesting/ useful but not possible with current horsepower.

I'm sure The Creator has a backlog of wishes to be implemented in the future.

Then there are probably lots of things in the FX area to be explored.

This has been uttered numerous times going way, way back to (at least) the Axe Fx II... They aren't stopping and we'll eventually be happy they didn't! :)
I’ve said it myself, and recently! It’s just astounding that there are still these radical improvements that Cliff is finding, when it’s already been so good for so long.

I don't know what to tell you. There were no changes to the algorithms or the Fender or Vox models. I have the files right here and doing a diff shows no changes.

[EDIT] I should mention that I reduced the speaker drive by 50%. So to get the same amount of speaker drive as before you will need to double the value, i.e., if you had speaker drive set to 2.00 you will need to set it to 4.00 to get the same amount of speaker breakup.
This might explain why my main JCM preset sounded somewhat cleaner compared to an older firmware. The last time I updated my fw was last spring. Of course there has been other changes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom