Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #4 (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please keep the ideal page. I use the ideal page for every preset I create.
From what Cliff is saying, if I understand correctly, the ideal page would be replaced with a tweaks page, which only contains controls that actually make sense for that amp. So anything you use ideal for won’t be lost, but there will no longer be generic controls that don’t do anything or aren’t relevant on all amps.

If I understand correctly!

This latest update is off the charts for me anyway - sounds like a different amp modeler - ease of leads and the sound is far superior than any other version I've tried

I would be scared to loose its current state of bliss :)
This is what the new algorithms are supposed to sound like. The base sound won't change for the release version. I'm just verifying (and tweaking as necessary) the models at this point. I only have a 1/2 dozen amps left to check.

Exactly. There should be a Tone page and then a "Tweaks" page. The Tweaks page would contain things that the amp doesn't have but could be modified to have, like a Depth control or a Bright Cap, etc.
Excellent plan!

The beautifully minimalist amps get to shine in their own minimalist way without the clutter of extraneous "features" that don't actually work.

Personally I think visible enabled controls that don't do anything shouldn't exist, in anything. They violate the Principle Of Least Surprise, one of the bedrocks of user-centric application design. Nobody should have to wonder if a control's effect is too subtle for their uneducated ear to hear, or maybe it actually doesn't do anything.

If it makes development simpler too, well huzzah, that just seals the deal.

Front panel or Axe-Edit?

I really want to get rid of the Ideal page. It's causes a lot of headaches.
Would it be possible to get rid of the ideal page and just color code the knobs that would have been on the ideal page? Kind of a visual queue instead of separate pages.

At one time in my young life, I worked on a building maintenance job. There was one teacher who complained all the time about the temperature. We didn’t have individual thermostats in the classrooms, but we installed one for her. It was not wired to anything. After we installed it, she never complained again. She had the control knob she needed, to be happy.

At one time in my young life, I worked on a building maintenance job. There was one teacher who complained all the time about the temperature. We didn’t have individual thermostats in the classrooms, but we installed one for her. It was not wired to anything. After we installed it, she never complained again. She had the control knob she needed, to be happy.

You are conflating ham-n-egg complainers with guitar complainers.

We will go to the mat with null-tests and graphs and maths to complain that somebody else is ruining our tone.

Those would stay as well. Only things that don't do anything would go.

Exactly. There should be a Tone page and then a "Tweaks" page. The Tweaks page would contain things that the amp doesn't have but could be modified to have, like a Depth control or a Bright Cap, etc.

As a heavy user of many functions that may not be available on a real amp on the "Ideal" page I'd find a "Tweaks" page a cool change/addition...if I understand it correctly it would contain many/most of the existing tweaks on the "Ideal" page but jettison controls that don't do anything, resulting in a cleaner, more concise page of functions. Great idea....I like it....!

Plate Suppressor Diodes, thank you, thank you, thank you. That, along with Bias Excursion, is allowing me to fine tune to get what I had hoped for when I bought the AF3. Can’t get a bad sound from the Marshall’s tonight!!!!! Stellar!!!
Here's a brief article on Plate Suppressor (flyback) diodes:
https://paul1179.wordpress.com/2016/03/27/flyback-diodes/

The author doesn't quite fully understand how they work but it shows the connection and gives the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom