Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #4 (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have opinions on things big media corporations tell me I should have opinions on and what said opinion should be. Life is so much easier for me that way :)

Front panel or Axe-Edit?

I really want to get rid of the Ideal page. It's causes a lot of headaches.
So there would be just the Authentic page, and the full-on all-parameters-in-two-columns page?

I could live with that if it lightens the development load.

I do use the Ideal page, pretty much even, because it's a useful halfway point between basic and everything's-here-but-not-in-that-great-an-order, but I'd be ok with whatever is best for you Cliff. (Not that I'm anybody...)

Just to say it, Cliff/Fractal, you kick such serious a**. I'm so glad to be along for the ride.

Last edited:
should we make a poll thread just to see general thoughts? with all the work toward the Authentic page over the past years, i personally never use Ideal. i'd guess some like the extra controls at times.

but i think the Axe platform seems to be going in a certain direction and the Ideal page doesn't contribute to that...

i'd love to know how many people use Ideal purposefully to get something the Authentic page doesn't offer.
I rarely use the ideal page, but I have for a low cut. I’d like to see it remain... but it’s up to Cliff to decide.

Seeing what Cliff replied to, I'm not 100% sure what is causing the headaches...

- If it's the fact that many get confused how a knob changes function, that could be helped by giving it another color or an info/exclamation icon that serves as a hint to consult the manual if unsure. Maybe the idea of an alternate function knob was never the best in the first place and would be more clear by the Presence greying out/disappearing, and another knob appearing. This alone could of course be considered a small headache to program...

- OTOH, I can imagine the current situation (for Cliff) may be a headache when having to doublecheck or set up amps, or just be very tiresome...

I would be understanding if it is a MAJOR relief and we can still do most things in alternate ways (putting blocks in front of the amp, for example).
OTOH, any dumbing down makes me sad, and it was in principle a great idea!

Instead, I would consider removing the DAD JOKES page, which is nearing its max forum CPU (79%) :p ;)

Last edited:
Well, here comes the king of obviousness …

I never liked the mesas, specially all of the rect’o fire world, on the modeling world (since line6, ax212 … guitar tone archeology)

BUT …

This last FW it’s awesome. Something happend with the low end that it sounds really well and all the presence and high freq mess I always hated from these amps have just fall into the right place.

They just sound as if I had swapped out all the s**t f**k preamp tubes that comes from factory and putting a really good ones on it. I have done it on dozens of real world Mesas and it is like home to me right now. All of the other mesas (mark series) has all the punch on the midrange where it had to be. Great.

Rest of amps I use in fractal world (marshalls, fenders, divided by 13 …) are great, as always. Special mention goes to the Marshall Jmp pre … ouch! I had four different ones in the real world and the actual modeling has the best of them all !!!

So Cliff, great work. Great customer after buy support. The units are great, hard workhorse ones, you can blindly trust ‘em.

re: Authentic / Ideal: I'd be fine with just Ideal with authentic knobs somehow identified (ie with different knob colour), but I would not want to lose available ideal parameters as I do go there (+ to the advanced pages) once in a while and tweak the non-authentic stuff.

I vote to keep the Ideal page. I might be in the minority, but to me it's awesome to have the ability to tweak in that way.

I don't necessarily mind removing the Ideal page, as long as all those knobs and switches are accessible somewhere. I don't want to actually lose functionality, and sometimes tweaking something in Ideal is what gets me that last 5% of the tone I'm after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom