Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for the response, My name is mud and notalemming. I can manage to leave the presence and depth knobs alone on that amp, so I can take advantage of the other great parts of the update.

Thanks again,

Mike
You've probably already read this but it bears repeating: ALWAYS make a backup of your Axe-Fx before installing new firmware. Then if for some reason you decide you don't like the new firmware, it only takes a few minutes to roll back to the previous version.

You've probably already read this but it bears repeating: ALWAYS make a backup of your Axe-Fx before installing new firmware. Then if for some reason you decide you don't like the new firmware, it only takes a few minutes to roll back to the previous version.
Yeah, I didn’t used to do that, but I started when I got the 2XL last year and have since been in the habit. Thanks for looking out though. I appreciate it.

Mike

I can confirm same problem with Energyball Depth Control on 18.00. Haven't tried 18.02 yet.
I noticed and noted to beta team that the ENGL sound changed from
Firmware 15 to new Cygnus (less Depth) - curious to see if this update moves it back in the direction of fw15 bottom end. Hope so!

Installed 18.02 and had my very first Axefx3 freeze after turning up the Presence knob in the Angle Severe. After turning it off and on again, it did not freeze anymore, but the presence knob is not working like it used to do in the older FWs. I always put the presence all the way down, to make the amp sound darker and fuller, but now this effect is gone and the presence knob acts way different.
I hope this is a bug, I loved this in the older versions.

Your clock rate is wrong.
Clock rate was my 1st check in advance of posting. To clarify; I used the Virtual Capo as a 12 string sim with the mix set around 50%. I expect that a clock rate issue would effect both the dry and wet simultaneously. Just to be sure I am not having a Homer moment, I used the headphones out - the issue remains the same. I verify that the Detector= Block IN. I thought I knew this machine pretty well - is there some other possible cause? Maybe a calibration value somewhere? The Harmony block works as expected. Very odd indeed.

I noticed and noted to beta team that the ENGL sound changed from
Firmware 15 to new Cygnus (less Depth) - curious to see if this update moves it back in the direction of fw15 bottom end. Hope so!
Like I said above, today is the first time I’ve messaged, off topic, but I saw your name and wanted to tell you I just bought your Live Gold pack and watched your tutorials. I love the pack and it has actually helped me better understand the process and am better at making my own now. Great work. Thank you.

Mike

Loaded 18.02 tonight 10 minutes before church! My dual amp patch sounds fantastic on bass, as it had before, but somehow even more round and distinct for each note while walking between changes. We're blessed to share in the fruits of your work, Cliff; thanks for all you do for this community.

BUG
Hey @FractalAudio I have a preset that uses the Energyball amp model, not only does it sound very different than before the update, if I adjust the Depth control value to 0 it crashes my axe fx and I have to restart it to get audio out again.

To reproduce, just create a patch with Energyball and reduce the depth to 0.

Hopefully an easy fix ;)

Last edited:
BUG
I have a broken preset that uses the Energyball amp model, not only does it sound very different than before the update, if I adjust the Depth control value to 0 it crashes my axe fx and I have to restart it to get audio out again.

To reproduce, just create a patch with Energyball and reduce the depth to 0.

Hopefully an easy fix ;)
Happening on the Angle Severe 1 & 2 as well

Is it really bad enough that someone like me who is still learning the ins and outs of compressors and such, should wait to update 18.02? Until whatever bugs are worked out or should I be fine?
"Bad enough" is up to you. If the update thread still reports issues, I wait them out. The previous FW's still have so much great stuff going on, that I'm ok being a bit more patient to get the latest goodies.

"... I always put the presence all the way down, to make the amp sound darker and fuller, but now this effect is gone and the presence knob acts way different.
I hope this is a bug, I loved this in the older versions."
I also use the presence at zero ... same reason, but - imho - the new model has more and more defined bass and the presence works as it should work (one more time, imho). I´m happy with the new model and for me it´s way more easy to find my sound.

I also use the presence at zero ... same reason, but - imho - the new model has more and more defined bass and the presence works as it should work (one more time, imho). I´m happy with the new model and for me it´s way more easy to find my sound.
Already got used to it. Still sounds great. No matter, which High Gainers I try, I always come back to the Savage and the 5153.

"Bad enough" is up to you. If the update thread still reports issues, I wait them out. The previous FW's still have so much great stuff going on, that I'm ok being a bit more patient to get the latest goodies.
You are absolutely correct on all points. Thanks for responding. After thinking about it, I still decided to update. I can work around the issues on those two amps for now. (I’m still using enough presets of those amps that I haven’t been making my own adjustments to them very much yet anyhow). If not for that, I would have waited it out like you do.

Thanks again,

Mike

You are absolutely correct on all points. Thanks for responding. After thinking about it, I still decided to update. I can work around the issues on those two amps for now. (I’m still using enough presets of those amps that I haven’t been making my own adjustments to them very much yet anyhow). If not for that, I would have waited it out like you do.

Thanks again,

Mike
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-firmware-release-version-18-03.179364/

Ha, I feel dumb. I followed the little alert bell straight here instead of starting at the home page, responded, then immediately saw the 18.03 update with fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom