Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make-up Gain "makes up" gain that is reduced due to compression.

If you're not hitting the threshold then there should be no compression and thus no make-up gain.
I don't think that's right Unix.

Makeup gain is based on a guess at how much incoming signal will be reduced, based on the current settings.

I think it doesn't take input signal level into account. That means a lower output guitar that doesn't hit the threshold gets the same gain compensation as a super high output one that's way over the threshold and triggers tons of compression.

That's how I understand it as well.
I did the following: optical compressor, threshold -20, comp 7
a threshold of -20 does not show any gain reduction in my preset. If I lower the threshold to -21 the volume increases considerably, gain reduction still shows 0. I can now control the preset volume with the comp knob. Can you replicate this? I don't think this is a bug, I think this is how the make up gain feature works...
I don't want to cause confusion or anything, it's just what I experience. Cliff got more into detail and explanations in the beta thread, and again, nothing that one can't get used to....
but be sure, if someone sells "abolish make up gain" shirts, I'll jump on it! :)
I haven't yet loaded it... I did load 18.0 beta and have read the comments there. But my threshold is considerably lower than that. I didn't notice a real volume difference using the JFET type.

Compressor is also the first effect in my chain. Where's yours?

I haven't yet loaded it... I did load 18.0 beta and have read the comments there. But my threshold is considerably lower than that. I didn't notice a real volume difference using the JFET type.

Compressor is also the first effect in my chain. Where's yours?
I use the optical compressor at the end of the chain.

I don't think that's right Unix.

Makeup gain is based on a guess at how much incoming signal will be reduced, based on the current settings.

I think it doesn't take input signal level into account. That means a lower output guitar that doesn't hit the threshold gets the same gain compensation as a super high output one that's way over the threshold and triggers tons of compression.
You may be right... I'm not an expert on the topic, but what I wrote is based on what I've read.

I use the optical compressor at the end of the chain.
  • Added Input Level switch. When set to INSTRUMENT the detector is optimized for guitar-level signals, i.e., before an amp block. When set to LINE the detector is optimized for post-amp level signals.
Do you have the input level switch set to line? I'm not sure that will make any difference as far as make up gain but it might since it will optimize the input level for where you have the compressor.

That's how I understand it as well.
I did the following: optical compressor, threshold -20, comp 7
a threshold of -20 does not show any gain reduction in my preset. If I lower the threshold to -21 the volume increases considerably, gain reduction still shows 0. I can now control the preset volume with the comp knob. Can you replicate this? I don't think this is a bug, I think this is how the make up gain feature works...
I don't want to cause confusion or anything, it's just what I experience. Cliff got more into detail and explanations in the beta thread, and again, nothing that one can't get used to....
but be sure, if someone sells "abolish make up gain" shirts, I'll jump on it! :)
May be my imagination, but applying a negative level compensation for reduced signal in the fw18 pedal comp seemed to yield a bit more "steady" compensation for me, compared to a positive level compensation without auto-makup, so maybe there is some smartz in auto-makeup that a block level compensation only does not have in which case we may, if this is true, yet be wearing "I luv makeup gain" shirts

• Added Input Level switch. When set to INSTRUMENT the detector is optimized for guitar-level signals, i.e., before an amp block. When set to LINE the detector is optimized for post-amp level signals.
Do you have the input level switch set to line? I'm not sure that will make any difference as far as make up gain but it might since it will optimize the input level for where you have the compressor.
Yes I did, but valid thought!

May be my imagination, but applying a negative level compensation for reduced signal in the fw18 pedal comp seemed to yield a bit more "steady" compensation for me, compared to a positive level compensation without auto-makup, so maybe there is some smartz in auto-makeup that a block level compensation only does not have in which case we may, if this is true, yet be wearing "I luv makeup gain" shirts
I imagine Cliff does not implement stuff without proper cause and merit. Good to know that you already had success. In that case I will inquire further and consider a "I used to hate make up gain but..." shirt...

I personally never liked that feature in compressors, for me this would be "normalizing", I'd understand "make up gain" as in "add the gain back that got reduced by the compressor".
Let’s work this one through. A compressor reduces gain. If Makeup Gain just added back the gain that was lost, you’d wind up with a block that doesn’t change the signal in any way. We already have a Shunt block that does that. :)

Let’s work this one through. A compressor reduces gain. If Makeup Gain just added back the gain that was lost, you’d wind up with a block that doesn’t change the signal in any way. We already have a Shunt block that does that. :)
it's selectively reducing (if a downward comp) level (chopping tops off the waves at varying angle depending on ratio/attack/release) so a perfect makeup gain would not often leave one with the same initial tone despite the level being equalized via auto or manual makeup or both.

It's not exactly that simple. If it was, it wouldn't be a compressor, it would be a volume block.

A compressor reduces gain that exceeds a certain threshold by a certain amount per db above that threshold. With an ideal studio compressor, for example, it should be possible to make the compressor 100% transparent, never impacting the signal at all, unless that signal rises above a set threshold.

With guitar playing, this kind of compression is often used for palm mute-heavy music during mixing/post production, where it would be desirable for chords and single notes to be untouched by compression, but the huge low end spikes of palm mutes are kept in check when their volume exceeds the compressor's threshold.

Added MUTE option to Output 1/2 Configuration. This allows muting the analog outputs while still passing data via USB. This can be used when using the Axe-Fx III in conjunction with computer plug-ins.
Added global Speaker Impedance Curve. When set to DEFAULT the speaker impedance curve used when selecting an amp model is the default curve for that amp model, otherwise it is the selected curve. NOTE: this does not affect existing presets. The selected curve is used only when selecting a new amp model.

Hope this will be ported to the FM3 - teese were very usable features.

I didn't even notice the amp block stuff in the changelog, but I was playing this morning and thinking "damn, something sounds better across all my patches and I can't put my finger on what it is"

Also the Savage changes are very welcome, it went from being unusable with the presence anywhere above 0 to unusable with the presence anywhere above 3 lmao (I kid, I kid, it's my favorite high gain amp model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom