Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you. This is life with Auto makeup gain setups, in my experience -- it's not just a Fractal thing.

I think the idea is that you have to use your ears anyway, and it'll probably require less manual adjustment than if it wasn't there. In some cases it might actually be right, maybe.
thanks for the heads up - nothing I can't adjust to.

edit - may be my imagination, but I do now seem to get a more even volume compensation with the auto-makeup built into the pedal types along with my negative level adjustment than I was before fw 18 with no auto-makeup - I used to futz with the compensation a lot and never quite seemed to get it right, but now my revised -x db it seems to hold really well. Guess it could be from the whole comp model being improved overall.

Last edited:
Re: Auto Makeup Gain which is now automatically included with a number of compressor types (i.e. Pedal). I seem to be getting more auto makeup gain on my compressor block (Pedal2 type before amp - input level set to "instrument") than the amount of gain reduction the compressor settings are generating - (have to set the compressor output level to a negative value to compensate for auto-makeup-gain). Is this to be expected? I thought auto-makeup would level the compressor so that, with it's output level at 0, patch output volume would remain constant with compressor on or off. I thought maybe the amp was the reason but even taking out the amp / cab as in the attached preset, the auto-makeup gain generated seems more than needed, unless I don't understand the mechanism (a distinct possibility).
Auto Makeup assumes a certain input level, in this case a typical humbucker guitar.

The idea is that once you set it you don't have to adjust it as much as you would if you didn't have it. For example, the makeup gain can run anywhere from 0 to 30 dB depending on the settings. With Auto Makeup on you typically don't need to adjust more than +/- a few dB.

Auto Makeup assumes a certain input level, in this case a typical humbucker guitar.

The idea is that once you set it you don't have to adjust it as much as you would if you didn't have it. For example, the makeup gain can run anywhere from 0 to 30 dB depending on the settings. With Auto Makeup on you typically don't need to adjust more than +/- a few dB.
understood / getting the hang of it - thanks!

Could there be an option for make up gain based on a typical single coil guitar?

It will never be perfectly right anyway. Humbucker seeing will be close enough for most things
You could use that same logic to not have auto make up at all. Humbucker setting is close enough for most humbucker guitars, not so much for single coils. Not a huge deal, just curious if it could be added to get closer for single could guitars.

Don't understand that at all.
What does the compressor block output level setting have to do with makeup gain settings or defaults for single coil guitars?

Or am I totally missing something obvious? For the first time ever...
Makeup gain bumps up the signal after squashing it with the compression squashes it. Auto makeup targets humbucker output level. If you want single coil output level, the output level knob should be able to adjust the level down into single coil land....

The block's output level knob should work for this, right @FractalAudio ?
It would also work for humbucking guitars or any guitar. The point being, why have makeup gain only targeted for humbucking guitars. They already sound compressed compared to single coils so I rarely use a compressor on the 1 humbucking guitar I own.

It would also work for humbucking guitars or any guitar. The point being, why have makeup gain only targeted for humbucking guitars. They already sound compressed compared to single coils so I rarely use a compressor on the 1 humbucking guitar I own.
Probably because a humbucker is in the middle of the pack, output-wise. Loud humbuckers may need an output boost, and single coils likely need an output cut....

Probably because a humbucker is in the middle of the pack, output-wise. Loud humbuckers may need an output boost, and single coils likely need an output cut....
Just curious why the humbucker only approach & if a single coil option could be added, especially since you can't turn it off now on several compressor types. Either way, not a huge deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom