Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 17.02 Release

I plead idiocy :)

I investigated further and it turns out I had turned on a saturater in my DAW chain - which as you can imagine added unwanted distortion. The reason the two tracks sounded so different was because only one had the saturation.

duh.

I’ll just leave now quietly….
As @Gregmang moonwalks silently out of the room. lol....but really - you brought up a point you were hearing and through the discussion kept you digging at the root cause - so issue solved and that's the important part. Nice that Cliff helped with the data too.

I plead idiocy :)

I investigated further and it turns out I had turned on a saturater in my DAW chain - which as you can imagine added unwanted distortion. The reason the two tracks sounded so different was because only one had the saturation.

duh.

I’ll just leave now quietly….
There isn't so much less idiotic than figuring out where one might be mistaken, and learning from it. Admitting to it humbly and openly, I find both edifying of the person explaining where they went wrong, and incredibly helpful because my own rich learning experience is so strewn with errors and mistakes that I am trying to learn from.

Thank you for the helpful post. Idiots often seem to think they are geniuses, while the genuinely bright and enquiring mind tends to find a lot of fault on its own part.

Liam

Yes, I really appreciate when users diagnose their own issues. It's easy to see a "problem" and then attribute it to the first thing we think of or project it onto some handy scapegoat without any analysis or critical thinking (much less self-reflection). This, I fear, is at least part of the growing polarization in the world.

In this spirit, I wish kids were universally taught general 'problem diagnosis', 'root cause analysis', and/or 'debugging'. The process of elimination (removing factors one-by-one), process of addition (start with smallest system, adding factors one-by-one) or process of swapping (take a component out and replace it with a different one) don't seem to be commonly used or understood. And it takes effort o_O.

Also the concepts "correlation is not (necessarily) causation" and that reality is rarely has only one thing changing at a time, so it's better to not assume one seemingly "obvious" factor is the sole cause of A, B or C. Science would have gotten nowhere without healthy skepticism/curiosity and methodological sleuthing. (Edit: along with some happy or unhappy accidents in the process.)

Last edited:
Yes, I really appreciate when users diagnose their own issues. It's easy to see a "problem" and then attribute it to the first thing we think of or project it onto some handy scapegoat without any analysis or critical thinking (much less self-reflection). This, I fear, is at least part of the growing polarization in the world.

In this spirit, I wish kids were universally taught general 'problem diagnosis', 'root cause analysis', and/or 'debugging'. The process of elimination (removing factors one-by-one), process of addition (start with smallest system then adding factors one-by-one) or process of swapping (take a component out and replace it with a different one) don't seem to be commonly used or understood. And it takes effort o_O.

Also the concepts "correlation is not (necessarily) causation" and that reality is rarely has only one thing changing at a time, so it's better to not assume one seemingly "obvious" factor is the sole cause of A, B or C. Science would have gotten nowhere without healthy curiosity and methodological sleuthing.

Cool post. :)

Sadly, absolutism and monolithic thinking are too often set as the defaults when it comes to
human cognition----or the lack thereof.

There isn't so much less idiotic than figuring out where one might be mistaken, and learning from it. Admitting to it humbly and openly, I find both edifying of the person explaining where they went wrong, and incredibly helpful

applause-respect.gif

Is it me or does the 2290 w/modulation delay in the delay block broken ? There are no delays coming out of it.

Is it me or does the 2290 w/modulation delay in the delay block broken ? There are no delays coming out of it
From the wiki:
"Why don't I hear repeats from the 2290 delay type?
The 2290 delay type has phase on one side reversed and must be heard in stereo. If the signal is summed to mono after the Delay block, delay repeats will disappear because of phase cancellation."

From the wiki:
"Why don't I hear repeats from the 2290 delay type?
The 2290 delay type has phase on one side reversed and must be heard in stereo. If the signal is summed to mono after the Delay block, delay repeats will disappear because of phase cancellation."
Im not at my axe fx right now but the only think (if I recall) after my delay is the reverb. Thats the outcome block after it.

Last edited:
Im not at my axe fx right now but the only think (if I recall) after my delay is the reverb. Thats the outcome block after it.
Just checked the 2290 > Reverb > Output 1 and it works as expected here. A quick check of some settings/parameters, I found a couple of things than can kill the 2290 delays: Either the Mix or Input Gain in the Delay block set to zero or the Output block set to SUM L+R.

Just checked the 2290 > Reverb > Output 1 and it works as expected here. A quick check of some settings/parameters, I found a couple of things than can kill the 2290 delays: Either the Mix or Input Gain in the Delay block set to zero or the Output block set to SUM L+R.
Ok thank you for your help. I'll have a check when I'm back at my studio

@bread Go to modulation page of the 2290, and change “phase reverse” setting to “none”. I bet it’s set to “right”. This is from memory so I may have the setting names wrong. But there is a phase cancellation going on with the stock settings that cuts out the delay when not in stereo.

Last edited:
@bread Go to modulation page of the 2290, and change “phase reverse” setting to “none”. I bet it’s set to “right”. This is from memory so I may have the setting names wrong. But there is a phase cancellation going on with the stock settings that cuts out the delay when not in stereo.

I could be wrong and dumb here... but that's the whole humor with the 2290 right? The stereo phase thing.

The ADA MP-1 chorus had a similar thing. Plug the stereo outs into a stereo amp, into a stereo cab...and the chorus does not exist. The cab will make it go away. And you're 6dB quieter.

Back
Top Bottom