Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 17.01 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Ch B could have a different level or other subtle difference. Try resetting the channel and put that IR in it. If still a difference, reset all channels and compare.

Or if you have Ch B on it's own scene, there could be a scene level difference saved in the preset.
All the channel params are the same, and im manually changinf the channel so no scenes should be impacting (scene levels are all the same anyway).

All the channel params are the same, and im manually changinf the channel so no scenes should be impacting (scene levels are all the same anyway).
Have you tried reseting the channel yet (or all channels so they are identical externally and internally) and with the same IR in all of them?

Otherwise post preset?

My guess is updated drive models he mentioned on The Gear Page. He recently discovered that although they're super accurate when Drive is at noon or above, they're not nearly as accurate when Drive is below noon.

How awesome. It means a lot, especially in the face of modern culture, for one to admit a problem in their work, and to fix it rather than doubling down for no good reason.

My guess is updated drive models he mentioned on The Gear Page. He recently discovered that although they're super accurate when Drive is at noon or above, they're not nearly as accurate when Drive is below noon.
@FractalAudio, if you have time, could you explain what kinds of inaccuracies this will fix, ideally both technically and in the audible and feelable response?

Nice work in any case! Looking forward to it.

@FractalAudio, if you have time, could you explain what kinds of inaccuracies this will fix, ideally both technically and in the audible and feelable response?

Nice work in any case! Looking forward to it.
@FractalAudio, while you're at it, I don't suppose you could revisit the input impedance of some of the drives too, could you?

For example, the real life Fuzz Face I believe is known as the poster child for really-low-impedance-makes-a-big-sonic-difference, but if I'm remembering right, it's 1M in the Axe. Updating that aspect of it, and possibly other drives would be very cool, and much appreciated.

@FractalAudio, while you're at it, I don't suppose you could revisit the input impedance of some of the drives too, could you?

For example, the real life Fuzz Face I believe is known as the poster child for really-low-impedance-makes-a-big-sonic-difference, but if I'm remembering right, it's 1M in the Axe. Updating that aspect of it, and possibly other drives would be very cool, and much appreciated.
No, this is already implemented in the Axe, as long as you select 'Auto Impedance' and that the Drive block is first in the chain.

No, this is already implemented in the Axe, as long as you select 'Auto Impedance' and that the Drive block is first in the chain.
The general functionality of the guitar seeing the impedance of the first enabled block is implemented, you're right, and that's great, but that's not what I'm talking about.

The impedance of some of the drive models, Fuzz Face for instance, doesn't match the pedals they emulate. Try it. Choose Auto for impedance in the input block, make the FF the first block, and enable and disable it, watching the impedance readout in the input block. It stays at 1M, but the real one is something like 22k, really low.

Since Cliff is going through some or all drive blocks and checking their veracity at low drive levels, I was hoping that project could be expanded to also check if the modeled input impedances are right.

I'm making this up, but it seems like that must just be a simple numeric value for each model, easy to change. It's not something that needs new modeling tech, just measuring the real pedals, and inputting those values in the right place in the models.

Make sense?

Last edited:
The general functionality of the guitar seeing the impedance of the first enabled block is implemented, you're right, and that's great, but that's not what I'm talking about.

The impedance of some of the drive models, Fuzz Face for instance, doesn't match the pedals they emulate. Try it. Choose Auto for importance, make the FF the first block, and enable and disable it, watching the impedance readiut in the input block. It stays at 1M, but the real one is something like 22k, really low.

Since Cliff is going through some or all drive blocks and checking their veracity at low drive levels, I was hoping that project could be expanded to also check if the modeled input impedances are right.

I'm making this up, but it seems like that must just be a value for each model, easy to change. It's not something that needs new modeling tech, just measuring the real pedals, and inputting those values in the right place in the models.

Make sense?
I hear ya that this might not be fully implemented for all the Drives (and potentially other relevant effects early in the chain....).

But I was making reference to this thread here where the question of impedance was discussed at length:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...lock-does-an-active-mixer-block-count.169836/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom