Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 17.01 Public Beta #2

Would the addition of a 'Compander' help here?

Loving it in the Delay blocks.

5pz0v7.jpg

I must say, these reverb block updates are really something else. Playing with the new algorithms is like painting with multiple brushes at the same time. I feel like I'm conducting a orchestra with my note choices or like the unit is talking back to me in a slightly different voice. Very insprining stuff.

Continuing my bought of "sensitive sunday" clips....

Dude, will you share this preset! Sounds amazing!,

You are, of course, correct: if I use a clean tone instead I don't get the clicks.

I went straight to that factory AC-20 preset without passing through clean land first and collecting my $200 dollars. :)

Is allowing for adjustment of the fade in/out length of the samples possible? If I could make the fade on the sample a little longer when using it with the distorted signal I wouldn't get the collison on the end and start of the repeats, pehaps.
Maybe split the path so a dry clean tone goes straight to the reverb blocks and amp tone can be whatever you need it to be.

Maybe split the path so a dry clean tone goes straight to the reverb blocks and amp tone can be whatever you need it to be.
Definitely a way to deal with it, though the reverb on the dry tone is going to sound quite a bit different.

Dude, will you share this preset! Sounds amazing!,
It's just a factory preset! :D

One of my favorites I might add.

It's scene 2, EF86 Treble, of the AC-20 Deluxe factory preset. All I did was mute the existing reverb block and add a second reverb block in parallel running the new Pegasus preset. Mix was set to 100% and level was set to -5 dB IIRC. Like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 11.54.08 PM.png

Guitar was my old, banged up and hacked on PRS HB Spruce. I think it was the neck pickup which is a Duncan Seth Lover. Oddball guitar, but I love it so much. Played it with my fingers as one should do when they get their Mark Knopfler on.

Last edited:
I really enjoy seeing and hearing all this technology at work! The relentlessness, passion, dedication, countless hours of trial and error, to come to the culmination of a masterpiece, Cliff, you will never be thanked enough for your work, but i see your baby growing up and i am proud to be one of the lucky ones to be able to use it!
thank you Cliff a thousand times !!

I’m also getting some odd pops/ticks/clicks that seem to be tied to the reverb block (but not the new types).

@FractalAudio the diffusion modulation in the multitap delay is causing some strange artifacts that aren't present in the equivalent delay block diffusion modulation. Preset attached as a basic example.

Attachments

• MTD Crust.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Like commmmme on. These new reverb settings are a dream pop lovers wet dream. Last one. And while it's technically Monday here, I took Monday off so it's really second Sunday for me and I can ride the sensitive Sunday train a little longer, right?

Haunting or what?

This huge washes make a hack like me feel like I'm being backed by an orchestra! :D

@chris I ran the reverb off the pre-amp signal in that clip and, while it got rid of the clicks, it's missing a ton of the gritty texture. Can't decide if I like that or not. Works in the context of that clip as it keeps the reverb from fighting with the guitar signal. But I can see where I'd want to be able to use this post-amp with distortion.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 12.35.04 AM.png

Like commmmme on. These new reverb settings are a dream pop lovers wet dream. Last one. And while it's technically Monday here, I took Monday off so it's really second Sunday for me and I can ride the sensitive Sunday train a little longer, right?

Haunting or what?

This huge washes make a hack like me feel like I'm being backed by an orchestra! :D

@chris I ran the reverb off the pre-amp signal in that clip and, while it got rid of the clicks, it's missing a ton of the gritty texture. Can't decide if I like that or not. Works in the context of that clip as it keeps the reverb from fighting with the guitar signal. But I can see where I'd want to be able to use this post-amp with distortion.

View attachment 90015

Damn, that made me feel like I was watching an inspired scene from a Jeff Nichols movie. I mean that as a huge compliment. I'm impressed.

Damn, that made me feel like I was watching an inspired scene from a Jeff Nichols movie. I mean that as a huge compliment. I'm impressed.
Well, thank you. Truly.

I love This Mortal Coil but don't know if I've seen any Jeff Nichols films. Zach Snyder used it in Justice League and it was the best part of that otherwise slog of a film. :D

Well, thank you. Truly.

I love This Mortal Coil but don't know if I've seen any Jeff Nichols films. Zach Snyder used it in Justice League and it was the best part of that otherwise slog of a film. :D

He just has a sense of air and space that seems kind of rare for modern American directors; it's like if Terrence Malick didn't go too far and really knew how to direct actors. I've only seen his first four films, but I think they were all masterful; I have this intense love of Michael Shannon too, so that helps haha. I could just picture Nichols' sense of space with that music floating through it.

I ran the reverb off the pre-amp signal in that clip and, while it got rid of the clicks, it's missing a ton of the gritty texture. Can't decide if I like that or not. Works in the context of that clip as it keeps the reverb from fighting with the guitar signal. But I can see where I'd want to be able to use this post-amp with distortion.
Maybe try a mixer to blend clean and dirty into the reverb? Possibly try a compressor or vol swell after the dirty before the reverb?

Well, thank you. Truly.

besides this amazing firmware, a specific question to you: Any chance of an unofficial tab from your side? Would love to have it. PM would be a thing, I guess. Your version AND playing sounds spectacular.

If I read CPU improvements and easier shimmer effect building in reverb block: is that something that can be applied to the FM3 or is supposed to be ported to it?

Back
Top Bottom