Axe fx EV12L??

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Are any of the stock axe 2 cabs similar or the same as a cab with EV 12L's?

If not, what would be the closest?

1x12 E12L (RW)
1x12 Boogafunk E12L (OH)

The Boogafunk is based on the EV TL806 Thiele cabinet design and is similar/equal to a Mesa Thiele cabinet.

I find the 1x12 E12L (RW) model closest, but like all single IRs IMHO, I find it quite sterile compared to the real thing. I think using a stereo cab block with this model at 0dB and the 1x12 Boogafunk E12L (OH) mixed at -3dB adds some missing top end and middle richness/complexity. R121 mics for both.

I use one of Jay's (1x12 back of cab; stock in Axe-Fx II) and one of my own (from this IR pack I made). The three in my pack are not very good though. I will be shooting more now that I have a better handle on things.

IMO, the EVM12L is a rough one to get a really sweet IR of.

Ive been playing around with bonamassa's tone lately. Seems like he makes a big deal about using those particular speakers. They do sound fairly weak and sterile compared to some of the 4x12 IR's. I wonder if this is because they are 1x12 IR's.

I am going to be experimenting with my EVM12L cab very soon (hopefully this week). I will conquer it, or be conquered and roll away in tears :lol

The 1x12 aspect should not be a factor, unless it is a FF. Anything close mic'd will just be capturing a single speaker. My problem is in the physical mic placement aspect (disabled). Thanks to AlbertA, I have enough confidence to capture a quality IR.. once I find a magic spot for the mic. If the mic placement provides for a good recorded track, then the IR should be capable of replacing the cab + mic with the exact same patch, every time. Finding that magic spot is the key.. and I think the EVM12L just screams for a high quality FF. And I do not have the room for it :(

Reactions: jon
The stock OH EVM sounds close to my real EVM cabs, taken into account that it's a NF.

Regarding the RW EVMs, I think the commercial ones, such as the MarkIIC, are much better than the stock one.

NF= Near Field (mic'ed up a couple of inches from the speaker)
FF= Far Field (mic'ed from 6 feet or so away in a sweet spot hopefully)

The stock OH EVM sounds close to my real EVM cabs, taken into account that it's a NF.

Regarding the RW EVMs, I think the commercial ones, such as the MarkIIC, are much better than the stock one.
I agree with this, but only so much as to say that, IMO, those IRs are "possible tones one is able to obtain when recording a close mic'd EVM12L." However, those IRs, any others I have tried, and even the ones I have captured, singly or in combination, thus far, have not adequately reproduced the same tone I hear when sitting in a room jamming through my EVM cab. Since "tone memory" is short, I cannot claim the same for a "versus EVM loaded cabs I used to own"; however, though not accurate, I believe my memory to be decent enough to bet, hmm, maybe $10 that it is not the same? lol!!! :D

OK, I’ve done some more work on this, and managed to get a lot closer to matching my EVM12Ls than I expected. I’ll be very happily using this for my FOH send while using the real cab on stage. A few caveats first, though:

I matched, by ear at medium volume levels, an IR and PEQ block to my slightly deeper than normal 2x12 EVM2L cab. I played the IR/PEQ send through an RCF 322A monitor, maybe not the best if money’s no object, but still one of the better live FRFR solutions in its price range IMHO.

My cab has strong mids which I like and suits my preferred patches which are mostly in the lightly overdriven category, so my solution here matches this tone balance which may or may not suit your tastes.

Nevertheless, I matched using a wide variety of patches from spanky-clean to sizzling thrash to get as close as I could. The heavily overdriven patches deliver a wide part of the audio spectrum and were really useful in fine-tuning these settings.

I’ve used an OwnHammer IR that you’ll need to buy and load into your Axe-FX.

So if you’re still with me, here are the settings:

The cab block is mono (hi-res or lo-res, doesn’t matter), with this IR:
OwnHammer_112_Thiele_12L_Mix-n-Match_10.syx
1.0 Cab size, 0 Motor Drive, Low Cut 80Hz, High Cut 6000Hz, Proximity 0
Room Level 0% and Air 0%

Now I know this IR is a mixture of several mics at different positions, but I needed to boost low mids to get in the ballpark, so I’m using the R121 COND mic as well. In hindsight, I probably should have fixed this in the PEQ block, but the end result sounds good to me anyway.

Finally, the PEQ block just adds minor tweaks to get it as close as I could:
Band 1, Low shelving, 160Hz, 0.707Q, -2.7dB
Band 2, 820Hz, 0.32Q, +2dB
Bands 3 & 4 not used (0dB)
Band 5, High blocking, 9800Hz, 0.5Q, (0dB)

Of course, you can use this PEQ to tailor the IR however you want. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom