Axe-Fx / Cubase midi problems

Aikara

Hi all,

I'm running into a problem with my Axe FX - PC midi connection. I'm trying to set up a Cubase project that controls my patch changes during gigs. I've found this how-to that should make it work: Automating Axe FX Pre-set Changes With Cubase | Stratamania's Music Blog.

The problem I'm running into is that cubase doesn't see the Axe-Fx Midi In connection. I've set the Axe-Fx to:
- Midi thru: on
- Send realtime sysex: none
- USB adapter mode: on

I can manage to install the Axe-Fx as midi device in Cubase. Cubase does see the Axe-Fx midi out, but not the midi in. Obviously Cubase has to recognize the midi in connection in order to change patches. Anybody out there that has a clue what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

I'll have a look for you, but... What version of cubase are you running? What OS, and what version of that?

Is the MIDI out you mentioned appearing in a list of MIDI outputs, or inputs? The names might have changed since that blog post. I'm seeing "Axe-FX II MIDI Out" as an output here with 11.05.

I've tried doing this with Cubase 6 but unfortunately this functionality is removed in Cubase Elements. Not sure if you're running the full version or not

I'm running Windows 7 and Cubase 5(.1.2). Still not even sure what the problem is: My PC, Cubase or the Axe...

Can you try setting Midi thru to off. If Midi Thru is set to on it sends out what came in. If you get the Midi connectivity sorted out my guide will work. Although some of the screenshots in Cubase 7 will be different to Cubase 6 that the tutorial was made with.

I tried setting Midi thru to off, but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried setting USB adapter mode to off, but that doesn't work either.

The rest of your tutorial (thanks BTW) made sense, and I think I get everything right, except the midi signals don't reach the Axe. I think the crucial problem occurs during installing the Axe as MIDI device. I can't select 'Axe Fx midi in' in the output section in the midi device manager. My only options are 'not connected' 'Axe-FX Midi out' and 'Microsoft GS wavetable synth'. Is there somethin else I can try?

Last edited:
Is there any way you can try another DAW? I think (I could be wrong) Reaper is free to try. I tried to use the AFX II as a midi interface with Cubase 4.7 with Osx 10.5 (I think... Or was it 10.4?) and the ports showed up and I saw midi activity but could not record any notes. However when I tried Garage Band for testing that worked ok.

Might help to narrow down the problem at least :)

My only options are 'not connected' 'Axe-FX Midi out' and 'Microsoft GS wavetable synth'. Is there somethin else I can try?

In the "output" section you're seeing "Axe-FX MIDI Out", correct? Did you try selecting that?

The video you linked has the ports named oppositely of what I'm seeing here in several programs. Don't worry about that. Just try the Axe-FX item that's in the output list.

I tried setting Midi thru to off, but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried setting USB adapter mode to off, but that doesn't work either.

The rest of your tutorial (thanks BTW) made sense, and I think I get everything right, except the midi signals don't reach the Axe. I think the crucial problem occurs during installing the Axe as MIDI device. I can't select 'Axe Fx midi in' in the output section in the midi device manager. My only options are 'not connected' 'Axe-FX Midi out' and 'Microsoft GS wavetable synth'. Is there somethin else I can try?

Hi there.

I also work with cubase 5 and win 7 to control the axe, but since we anyway have the clicktrack and a intro-track routed to the mixer on our monitors, I use the midi connection of a seperate Firewire interface with a midi-cable to the axe, this works perfectly, and I have no problems with this setup. 8)

I can have a look how it behaves, if I use the Axe directly via usb, but don't manage to do this before monday. So if you have time till then, I'll take a look at it for you then. ;)

Btw something else with cubase (maybe stratamania knows this...?)
What I was always been trying to do, but never got the clue how to manage this: To controll e.g. the wah or the whammy via cubase, instead of having to use an expression pedal (or two or three or...)?
I found one vid on youtube about this, but with an other daw-program, think it was protools or something like that, but couldn't reproduce this in cubase or sudio one 2... Any hints?

In the "output" section you're seeing "Axe-FX MIDI Out", correct? Did you try selecting that?

The video you linked has the ports named oppositely of what I'm seeing here in several programs. Don't worry about that. Just try the Axe-FX item that's in the output list.

Thanks! You solved my problem. Next time I shouldn't take those tutorials too literally ;)

Glad you got it working.

On the other question asked by darklord, I didn't actually try automating a Wah for example from Cubase and I can not test this as I don't have an Axe FX any longer. ( I needed to reorganise some things and it's not because I don't think the Axe FX is a superlative piece of kit that I no longer have it)

Anyway I would suggest if you want to give it a try set up an automation track in Cubase, then you need to find which CC would control the Wah or volume then draw in the values in the automation track. That's where I would start on that one.

Glad you got it working.

On the other question asked by darklord, I didn't actually try automating a Wah for example from Cubase and I can not test this as I don't have an Axe FX any longer. ( I needed to reorganise some things and it's not because I don't think the Axe FX is a superlative piece of kit that I no longer have it)

Anyway I would suggest if you want to give it a try set up an automation track in Cubase, then you need to find which CC would control the Wah or volume then draw in the values in the automation track. That's where I would start on that one.

Yes, It's good it works now for you, Aikara.

Ok, thanks Stratamania.
Sounds like a good point to start. I will absolutely give this a try. The automation track didn't even come to my mind before :numbness:

Again, thanks a lot! :encouragement: :)

Ok, shure, I'll post my progress/results here, as soon as I do/have any. ;) maybe then in a new thread, so the title then fits the content. :)

Here is something else to try. On my tutorial where it shows adding to the midi track CC34 Breath LSB which is used for Scenes and creating a controller lane for it, try the same to add the relevant CC for what you want to automate. Using Wah as an example which from memory uses CC16 but check to make sure, add that CC (it doesn't matter what it's called just that the CC is the correct number) then create a controller lane for it. Making sure that there is a preset with a Wah available at the specific part of the track where the Wah would be used, then draw in the controller lane the values between 0 and 127 you need as an up and down curve.

Give it a try, Wah is the example but you could try others.

Hi stratamania.

Ok, figured it out, and already did a How To as a new thread. Just have a look, and feel free to correct me ;):

How To: Controlling Modifiers in the Axe Fx II with Cubase/DAW

Thanks a lot for your advises and hints!!!! You lead me on the right way ;-)

I would really like to offer you a beer or so for your help, but as I'm located on the other side of the "globe", this could be a little bit difficult :lol

:D. I am actually based in the UK and Europe, so that beer may be closer than you think. I may very well be at the Dutch Axe Fest...

Back
Top Bottom