Axe FX Compressor, or your favorite Pedal Compressor?

Let me first say that the Axe FX is brilliant and has been my go to tone machine for many years now. Please don't take this out of context or get butthurt by my one disappointment with the unit. Although the built in Compressor is OK, it doesn't stand up in quality of sound and dynamics of some of my favorite pedal Compressors. For example, going before the unit on my pedalboard, I have a Pigtronix Philosophers Tone Compressor and a Rivera Sustain Shaman. I like going between the two for different styles of playing.

I'm really hoping that in the future on a later firmware update, we'll get some serious compressor tweaks that will allow me to take these pedals off my board. A revamped Axe Compressor is needed in my humble OPINION.

Anybody have any thoughts? Don't be afraid to jump into the deep end of the pool. Remember, this is one mans opinion and I have no intention of arguing over it. But input from my fellow guitar players is always interesting and thought provoking.

Peace my fellow Axe lovers! :encouragement:

Compressors in the Axe are very flexible. It takes a fair bit of tweaking to find the right sound though. Compressor pedals are tougher to duplicate. It's hard to know exactly what pedal knobs are doing and if a particular control is adjusting the threshold or the ratio or the mix or whatever. Many have different names for the same controls too. It takes some trial and error since the Axe versions have a lot more parameters. The Axe compressors sound very transparent as well, which I personally like. Some compressor pedals have a more noticeable coloration that some prefer. You could tone match your pedal to try and capture it's EQ vibe.

I'm still using my MIJ CS-2 and vintage Dynacomp as well as my TS-9, MIJ SD-1 & MIJ OD-2 at the start of my chain. After that, at the moment, it's all Axe-Fx...GEQ, Amps, Cabs, Delay, Reverb, etc..

I have always liked the compressor even though I don't use it often; I always prefer preserving the dynamics. I haven't used a pedal compressor before either, so I can't speak as to how it compares. But I do find the Axe's compressor to be very transparent and useful for when I do use it.

That being said, I think we (as guitarists) fall prey to the placebo effect more than we care to admit. Whenever I've seen pedal demos on YouTube and been interested in recreating it with the Axe, I may be a little discouraged at first. But if I really put some time and effort into it, I can almost always get there. At least close enough that I don't feel compelled to spend that money. And that's a great thing for me to be able to do because I LOVE buying gear.

In the end what absolutely matters is that you're happy with the sound and it's inspiring you to play your best. If that means having the pedals, then so be it. You're the most important calculation in the equation. No one's going to give a shit which compressor you're using, as long you're using what you're using well. Good luck with your compressor-editing ventures, Friend.

-steps down-

Thanks JB, it's nice speaking to somebody who gets it. I'm so used to being trolled on other sites, sometimes I forget this site for the most part isn't like that. This place is one of my favorite forums to visit because the members are so cool. I wish other forums could take a lesson from you guys! :encouragement:

i can't get anything that sounds like the Diamond Comp which was an always on for me...but it's not a typical comp. tbh the output comp in the amp block has gotten me the closest...

tbh the output comp in the amp block has gotten me the closest...

I don't know about the Diamond Comp, but come to think of it, when I want things to be a little more compressed, I almost always use the Output Comp in the amp. It just has a more usable sound for me.

Side note: the new feedback type for that parameter is really cool. Imparts a very different feel in terms of compression, albeit while increasing the distortion.

I'll definitely have to play around with the output compressor, because I can't get anything useful out of the Comp block. I regret selling my Xotic SP Compressor prior to buying the Axe.

due to the Axe Compressor's transparentness, I've gotten rid of any other pedal Compressor I used before. I can definitely understand people though who like their tone colored by a Compressor (Dyna, Keeley...). it's just not for me. I want a compressor to alter dynamics, not the tone (add this, cut that) as such.

No one's going to give a shit which compressor you're using, as long you're using what you're using well.

That being said, there is a difference in compressors and the (lack of a better term) tone, at least to me. I like and use the Axe's compressors too, but the two knob Keeley is the best I have ever used (and I do give a shit which one Im using and have used many). No rush and Im quite happy with the ones in there now, but Id love to see a Keeley version added at some point. :pride:

I have a Keeley 4-knob compressor on my non-Fractal pedalboard rig. It's a smooth, transparent, really great compressor. I have been able to very closely replicate the sound of this pedal in the AxeFX, but in my opinion, the AxeFX compressor models are much better in many ways. I tend to use compression as either a "you barely can tell it's there" effect, or "squish to the max" device.

I use the studio compressor in the Axe FXII and it sounds very good. I do like my Jangle box, Demeter Compulator, and Keeley better though. I like the Janglebox the best.

The only non-Axe compressor I use is, don't flame me everyone, an ART Levellar opto-compressor.

I use it after my Crybaby 535 wah to tame the peaks so that it does not clip the a/d converters, because I try to run as hot a signal as I can into the AF2 without clipping it.

I wish there was an opto mode in the Axe compressor for that smoother LA-2A type curve. It's something I have not been able to achieve in the Axe.

I use a either a Keeley, boss cs-2, or wampler ego depending on the gig. If I were to use the AXE it would be "two" studio comp blocks. It's the closest thing to a real pedal.
For me, the axe comp block doesn't have the same effectiveness as the pedals I use. I hope someday they will model some actual pedals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom