Axe-Fx Causing Ringing, I think?

adam1094

Hi everyone, okay so this is a fairly complicated problem but I'll do my best to explain it clearly.

I use my Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt to record DI's as well as run the thru output to the axe-fx for amped tone, then later I reamp it through the built in box on the apogee to the axe. This system was working really well for me until last week when a ringing popped up.

The ringing (hear samples below) is only at 3000z and 6000hz and can be removed with a EQ at those exact frequencies.

The ringing occurs only when using the guitar Output from the apogee, never when I plug directly into the axe

The ringing occurs even when I'm plugged into a different amp (say my sans amp for bass). Even when the only cable to the axe is the power.

The ringing only occurs when the axe-fx is on.

This problem seemed to appear from nowhere, no new gear or re wiring.

The axe-fx and the apogee are in completely separate racks.

The apogee and the axe-fx do run from the same power conditioner.

The ringing stops when they are in different outlets.

The ringing isn't affected by any other gear I have running, or by A/C, refrigerator or any other electrical things in the house.

Ring Sample(axe-fx on, through sans amp):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37078106/axering.wav

Without axe on (same setup):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37078106/Noring.wav

All of this leads me to believe that it has something to do with the axe-fx power supply, or maybe how it reacts with he apogee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess the simple answer is to have the axe on it's own power but I'd really like to keep everything neat and tidy with one switch. And also I'm curious as to why this happens.

I live in the U.S. so 120v, 60hz power.

Thanks,
Adam

Not what I'm asking. Just hoping someone could explain why this happens so I can avoid it in the future. And since this problem is at least partially due to the axe i asked here.

Hey Adam,
Maybe you can make a simple diagram of the connections when the trouble occurs and post it. It would make it easier to see if there is an "obvious" cause.

There's a ground loop issue I'm thinking too... So when you flip the ground lift button on the back of the axe does the ringing stop?

Alright here's a small update after some more testing:

The ring does not stop when I change outlets, but it does get quieter.

Also the ring goes away when I unplug my USB and SPIDIF connections.

Pulled some gear from the rack. Using just the apogee, axe, guitar, headphones and computer.y quest Seems that the issue only occurs when either the USB or SPIDIF connections are in. Using axe with analog I/O runs perfectly. I'm assuming this has to do with digital cables and them not playing nicely with the apogee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am reviving this thread because I have the same issue and have found no solution. For me though, the noise is coming from the thunderbolt connection to the computer. It does the same thing through firewire as well. If I have everything hooked up the way I normally do, I can turn off the computer and the noise instantly goes away. If I disconnect the axe fx USB cable from the computer and connect the computer to a different outlet altogether, the noise still remains. So All I can think of is the TB port in the computer creates that noise and I'm not sure how to isolate it. Would a HumX help in this scenario?

If you are using a laptop try plugging out the power supply (Notice DJs do this occasionally to resolve mains hum...)

Last edited:
I am reviving this thread because I have the same issue and have found no solution. For me though, the noise is coming from the thunderbolt connection to the computer. It does the same thing through firewire as well. If I have everything hooked up the way I normally do, I can turn off the computer and the noise instantly goes away. If I disconnect the axe fx USB cable from the computer and connect the computer to a different outlet altogether, the noise still remains. So All I can think of is the TB port in the computer creates that noise and I'm not sure how to isolate it. Would a HumX help in this scenario?
What happens to then oise when you yank your guitar cable out of the Axe-Fx?

The fact that it's a set frequency (and its octave) interests me. Grounding issue, as others have suggested?

yeah, it's surely an electrical issue from having the interface and axe fx connected to the computer and the interface and axe fx connected to each other via the guitar reamp output, but plugging things into different outlets won't work.
I imagine we're not the only ones with this set up, so I'm curios to see what others are doing. I am on an imac, by the way, not a laptop.

The Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt has built in power regulation. Perhaps the fact that you're connecting a power regulator to a power regulator causes this problem? My suggestion is to keep the Axe FX connected to the power regulator and connect the Apogee to a different power outlet. I'm curious if this fixes the problem.

Cheers,

GH

Have you tried removing the power conditioner from the equation? I once had a UPS that would cause similar audio interference.

Back
Top Bottom