Axe Fx Cab Sims

Galgenwald

Hey people,

It might sound wierd for you but I just got a wierd idea in my head. ...
can i plug the " amp out" of a tube head into the axe and make a ropeset just to use the cabs and the mics of the FA unit??

What do you mean by "amp out" of a tube head

what i basically ment is:
Amp (speaker out) ----> Axe Fx Ultra (in) (preset with cab/mic only) -----> Interface ---> DAW

I have several heads to try actually. but most likely i would go with the Bogner Shiva 20Anniversary, a Bogner Alchemist and a Fender Jazz Chorus

Ok from what you're saying you're playing with fire as in what you are suggesting could severely damage your Axe FX.

DO NOT CONNECT THE SPEAKER OUTPUT OF YOUR AMP INTO THE AXE FX!!!!!

Sorry to yell but what you suggest is dangerous, to your gear. Now Cliff may have designed some kind of failsafe to prevent totally frying the Axe FX with a speaker level signal but even then it wouldn't work. It can't because the Axe FX is not designed to accept that strong of a signal.

That said if an amp has a line out, effects send or preamp out you can safely connect that to the Axe FX but you will not get the effect of the amp's power section in your tone. As a matter of fact you will still need to connect the amp's speaker out(s) to speaker cabinets.

Another option is to get some kind of load box (don't use so don't recall the brands and models) which will allow you to safely drop the speaker level output to line level which you can then connect to your Axe FX with no worries.

All that said you can save money buy learning how to dial in the sounds of your amps on the Axe FX and use just it for recording.

Hey people,

can i plug the " amp out" of a tube head into the axe and make a ropeset just to use the cabs and the mics of the FA unit??

A tube amp always need a load, speaker or another load.
DO NOT DO WHAT YOU SUGGEST.
At best you will blow your amp at worst both your amp and your axe.

Sorry to yell but what you suggest is dangerous, to your gear.
Thanks for your advice. I already thought that it wouldnt work. That is possibly the reason why i didnt find anything about this kind of setup in the net. And of course I didnt try it so far.

Another option is to get some kind of load box (don't use so don't recall the brands and models) which will allow you to safely drop the speaker level output to line level which you can then connect to your Axe FX with no worries.
I know about those load boxes. There are some from Palmer which are pretty cool. (we used them on the records of our latest album)
But what you say about plugging them into the axe didnt quite get in to my head.
are you saying that i could set it up like this for example:
Guitar--- amp--- load box--- (Main Out) ----- Real Cab
--- (Line Out) ----- Axe FX
Perhaps its just a question of language differences that doesnt want me to understand it propperly.
Could you try to explain it in another way for me please?

At best you will blow your amp at worst both your amp and your axe.
Thanks Very much for the information to prevent me from paying much money and getting really depressed. =)

Hey people,

That is an awesome idea: if you want to see what an AxeFx looks like when it explodes and catches fire. ;)

If you use a load box as others have suggested, make sure you use a non-cab sim output since many have a built-in cab/mic emulation which would defeat part of your purpose.

Back
Top Bottom