Axe Fx Buzz Kill

hoth

Inspired
I spent a while researching and saving for a new amp. I wanted to have something nice but small, just to remind me of what tubes were like again. My main amps were a Shiva and a Mesa so I was looking for something like that, however, I have been gassing for a Vox for some reason. Enter the Mesa Transatlantic.

I picked one a Transatlantic for a pretty good price and I was really excited when it arrived. I plugged it in and it was glorious. It covered just about every amp type, and did it well. I was convinced that this sound was not there over the last few years with my AxeFx.

As a lark, I decided to run my AxeFx rig alongside the Transatlantic, just to have a fun stereo rig. I don't ever do that, but why not if I have the equipment right there to do it. I used an AC15 model on the AxeFx and the Transatlantic's Vox channel. When I started playing, I instantly felt deflated. The sound of the AxeFx was almost identical to the Transatlantic. In nuance, in feel, in different gain levels. I tried the different channels on the TA and was able to pretty quickly find a model to match each channel.

I spent all that time and money for exactly what I already had. I love gear, and the TA is really fantastic so I'm not so so bummed. But I do wish I had had a little more time enjoying the TA and thinking it was nirvana before I had turned on the AxeFx rig.

I spent a while researching and saving for a new amp. I wanted to have something nice but small, just to remind me of what tubes were like again. My main amps were a Shiva and a Mesa so I was looking for something like that, however, I have been gassing for a Vox for some reason. Enter the Mesa Transatlantic.

I picked one a Transatlantic for a pretty good price and I was really excited when it arrived. I plugged it in and it was glorious. It covered just about every amp type, and did it well. I was convinced that this sound was not there over the last few years with my AxeFx.

As a lark, I decided to run my AxeFx rig alongside the Transatlantic, just to have a fun stereo rig. I don't ever do that, but why not if I have the equipment right there to do it. I used an AC15 model on the AxeFx and the Transatlantic's Vox channel. When I started playing, I instantly felt deflated. The sound of the AxeFx was almost identical to the Transatlantic. In nuance, in feel, in different gain levels. I tried the different channels on the TA and was able to pretty quickly find a model to match each channel.

I spent all that time and money for exactly what I already had. I love gear, and the TA is really fantastic so I'm not so so bummed. But I do wish I had had a little more time enjoying the TA and thinking it was nirvana before I had turned on the AxeFx rig.

Hi Hoth looks like you found out the hard way that the Axe is the business!
I've been tempted many a time to go back to valves but, as you've found out, why bother.
Over here in the UK the new best thing are Victory amps and they sound lovely but then as an Axe owner you think - do I need all that hassle - all the lugging about of heavy gear without damaging the fragile glass inside etc and then you still have to mic the thing up for anything other than a tiny gig. I've sold ALL my valve gear - Marshall, Mesa , Digitech, whatever and I haven't found anything that can't be copied by the Axe and it can be done at ANY volume too.
Ah well, you've got some gear to sell now and I can bet what one is going and which is staying!
Rock on!!

This is why I've kept my nice old tube Marshall, every now and then I 'think' I am going to turn it on and get that 'tone' I always had and whilst it sounds great 'in the room' being a real amp of course, it just falls short of my AFX!

Love the Victory amps btw, if I didn't have neighbours I'd be getting myself one of those for sure (and probably put it next to my Marshall...)

I'm sorry.

Can't help it.

I'm really sorry...

669.gif

I hope you work out your feelings of deflation...

Don't be so hard on yourself. We only had a few hundred A/B shootouts in these forums to know that the Axe sounds pretty much identical. ;P

The Axe FX 2 is best in business and I love it.
I still like the overall feel of a tube amp a little better and the volume roll off on guitar seems to work better for me with tube amp.
Both awesome. Just different.

I stopped doing A/B tests a long time ago. I understand their value, they just answer a question about which I don't particularly care in this context. As long as the gear "works" for me, I'm happy.

On the other hand, I probably would like the AFX less if it offered a less accurate rendition of my favorite amps. I like when a model not only sounds, but also *behaves* the same way as the original. It makes it that much easier for me to set up a virtual rig. (This lack of correspondence, BTW, is one of the things that put me off the AFX in its early days...)

That said, I also sold off all of my "real" amps. The tipping point is -- loosely speaking -- "usability". Or maybe "suitability"...

When I auditioned my amps for the final time, I realized that they sound good in good in very limited circumstances: cranked to a certain volume, paired with particular guitars, fronted by specific pedals, etc... Once I understood all these constraints, the choice to use the AFX rather than the amps and pedals was really obvious.

I stopped doing A/B tests a long time ago. I understand their value, they just answer a question about which I don't particularly care in this context. As long as the gear "works" for me, I'm happy.

On the other hand, I probably would like the AFX less if it offered a less accurate rendition of my favorite amps. I like when a model not only sounds, but also *behaves* the same way as the original. It makes it that much easier for me to set up a virtual rig. (This lack of correspondence, BTW, is one of the things that put me off the AFX in its early days...)

That said, I also sold off all of my "real" amps. The tipping point is -- loosely speaking -- "usability". Or maybe "suitability"...

When I auditioned my amps for the final time, I realized that they sound good in good in very limited circumstances: cranked to a certain volume, paired with particular guitars, fronted by specific pedals, etc... Once I understood all these constraints, the choice to use the AFX rather than the amps and pedals was really obvious.

This is the reason I'm moving to an Axe. I've proudly used a Marshall JVM and a Mesa Mark V for the last few years. Both amps are fantastic. But I can't switch my Mark V from classic rock crunch to liquid Mark I tone with the right settings, reverb on/off, etc at the push of a button... these amps can never live up to their full potential. The JVM and Mark V are two of the most versatile amps out there and even their flexibility pales in comparison to the Axe FX II. Once you get past the whole "living with one kidney for the rest of your life" aspect of it, there's really no decision.

I am in the same boat kinda. I have been using an axe for a few years now. I got a deal on a Blackstar series 1 and bought it. I run it through my 4x12 w/v30s. Holy cow what a sound. Add the axe 4cm for effects and holy cow again. Here is my problem, i am really sick and dont play out anymore so keeping this rig is ok, but, I need to start getting things together and scale down everything. I have poweramps and 2x12 cabs and thought about some pa type speakers or sell everything, buy a mark v combo and build a small pedalboard. Right now I have an axe 2 mk2 liquid foot pro plus and an mfc. Or just go back to the axe completely.......what to do??

As far as modeling goes, the Axe-fx II is top notch, and in many ways beats the hell out of traditional systems. The sheer flexibility of routing and tone-shaping is so extensive it would cost multiple times more than an axe-fx II to simulate even ONE of my presets.

That said, there are clear differences to me. It also depends on how you use the Axe-fx II and what type of rig you're running.

*personal opinions that don't represent everybody's feelings incoming*

To me, there's a difference in sound between a tube-driven, mic'ed up guitar cab and even a solid state power amp driven guitar cab. There's DEFINITELY a difference between a tube-driven, mic'ed up guitar cab and the Axe-fx II in an FRFR situation. And it's not about "finding the right IR" either. I've used hundreds if not thousands of high-quality captured IRs since I picked this thing up when it was still on FW 1.something or other.

In my opinion, FRFR, while convenient and a good solution to volume constraints or bad recording/performing environments, pales by comparison to a properly-mic'ed up tube rig. With FRFR, the breakup, the low end, and the percussive quality of a driven speaker cab are negatively impacted. It's kind of like everything gets a little bit blunted, and those differences add up. To my ear, anyway.

Now I'm aware that there are a ton of folks on here who think differently, and that's great. I just disagree. I am optimistic about the possibility of fractal achieving it one day, but they've still got work to do. I do love this thing very much though.

Fortunately for people like me, we have the option to run the Axe-fx II through a tube power amp and into a guitar cab and throw a mic on it. In fact, I've really started doing just that as of late and I'm very pleased with the performance of my Axe-fx II as it stands. I use a Mesa 290 and a couple of 2x12 cabs and I'm getting great tones for "in the room" playing as well as recording. This gives me that traditional "tube" sound I feel the modeling is missing as well as the "cab sound" I feel IRs are lacking, and gives me ALL of the tonal flexibility my heart could desire as well as a host of pretty spectacular effects routable in any way possible.

Regardless of how you feel about the various options for running a rig, one thing is certain: it's a great time to be a guitarist.

Here is my problem, i am really sick and dont play out anymore so keeping this rig is ok, but, I need to start getting things together and scale down everything.
It would be stupid to switch to a tube amp if you are playing in primarily. Modelers destroy tube amps at low volume; plus you get direct recording, silent/headphone options, and more channels/variety to keep yourself from wanting to flip stuff. The only thing that would make sense is if you *really* needed the money from downsizing.

All respect to others who have expressed contrary opinions but IMHO AFX->PAmp->CAB sounds/feels like an amp. I think there is a TON of psychology going on that a lot of people cannot get over. Having A/Bd directly for myself, the AFX rig has everything a traditional rig does and beyond... with an amp I feel stuck a lot of time because many can only do a few things well and invariably require outboard gear.

Power amp cab rigs are underrated here.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat kinda. I have been using an axe for a few years now. I got a deal on a Blackstar series 1 and bought it. I run it through my 4x12 w/v30s. Holy cow what a sound. Add the axe 4cm for effects and holy cow again. Here is my problem, i am really sick and dont play out anymore so keeping this rig is ok, but, I need to start getting things together and scale down everything. I have poweramps and 2x12 cabs and thought about some pa type speakers or sell everything, buy a mark v combo and build a small pedalboard. Right now I have an axe 2 mk2 liquid foot pro plus and an mfc. Or just go back to the axe completely.......what to do??

While I see your amp delima, I don't know your condition but hope you can overcome your sickness or it doesn't continue to hinder your love for music. Prayers for you to feel better.

I keep my Marshalls just because they sound great and you can't find them anymore. But my Axe has taken over 95% of my amp duties. Plus my Marshall knob is stuck on 10. They don't turn left?? :)

MarshallKnob.jpeg

First, thanks for your well wishes. I have decided to sell my Axe Fx mkll and my MFC101. The mfc has the 4 button extension. Comes with the power supply and a 20ft 7 pin midi cable.
Then, gonna buy a new XL.
I do love the Axe

Got myself a Cornford MK50 with a matching 4x12.
It's nice to jump between that and the Axe-Fx.. Both sounds stunning. No way i'm i selling the Axe..

I'm thinking of buying a Bogner Ecstasy too. My 2x12 cabis so alone... :(

I have a pair of TA-30's with a pair of 2x12 slant Recto cabs that I purchased a few years back before I got my AxeFx last month. I like the TA-30's but I have always felt they were a little stiff compared to my hand wired AC-15 and my pair of Valvetech Hayseed 30 heads. I honestly like the AxeFx's AC-15 and AC-30 models into my Matrix poweramp and 2x12 Mesa Lonestar open back cabs better than the TA-30's "Top Boost" channel.

Back
Top Bottom