Axe FX - Boss ES-8 midi question

carlguit

I just acquired a Boss Es-8 to complement the Axe Fx. Just wanted to use a few external pedals. Everything works perfectly and I manage to build my '' scenes '' in the ES-8 using CC messages to dedicated blocks in the Axe. My only issue is with the Volume block. I like to use a volume block on all my presets ( after the amp ). So my expression pedal is connected to the Es-8, I'm able to control the Volume block but when I change preset on the Es-8 ( Even if its the same preset on the Axe ), I have to move the exp pedal to get the sound out...

Is this a setting that needs to be adjusted in the Axe itself or on the Es-8? Anyone can point me out in the right direction?

I found this thread searching for info on whether it was possible to control the Axe-FX withe the ES-8... seems the answer is “yes”, so thanks for that.

Not sure if I can answer your question about the volume, but I would suspect that the fault lies with the ES-8. But here is how you test it: do a scene change, then check all “volume” spots on your Axe-FX (main output volume, speaker volume, amp volume, etc.). If you’re connected to a computer and using the Axe-Edit program, checking all those volumes will be rather quick and painless. Even quicker: do a scene change, then remove the ES-8 from your Axe-Fx and see if you have sound. (Depending on how you have it set up, that may be as simple as turning off the FX Loop on the Axe-Fx).

Just curious... are you just changing scenes on the Axe-Fox, or are you changing programs, or both? and how are you doing the routing? I’m imagining Guitar —> ES-8 —> Axe-Fx Instr. Input (through the ES-8 volume loop) —> ES-8 (through and Axe-Fx send) —> Axe-Fx (from the ES-8 stereo out to the Axe-Fx stereo effects loops return) —> out to your DAW / amp / or wherever you need to go next. Are you doing something other than that?

Thanks, and hope you get the issue solved.

Shaw

To the OP, you probably need to look at your controller setup on the volume block.

Set the PC Reset to ON and save the preset with the volume where you want it.

If that doesn't solve it, then the ES-8 is independently transmitting the expression pedal value on preset change. Hopefully it has a setting to disable it. I believe my old Ground Control did the same thing...

Back
Top Bottom