Axe FX as a delay/reverb processor only w/ tube amp - bypass?

@bkd: Can you do a recording of some random notes on your II and the AX8 with presets completely bypassed?

There's something fishy going on. Have you checked your (global) noise gate settings?

Yes, the noise gate is turned off. I could probably make some A/B recordings but will take a few days/weeks between travel, gigs, and doing new presets for FW 1.03.

I have not done a blind test between my AFX2 and FX8, but it would be a pretty quick test. The difference in sound and feel is very obvious. One uses blind tests to eliminate bias, but if anything, I was biased in favor of the AFX2 working! Believe me, I did not want to shell out an additional $1400 for an FX8 in order to have something that would work with my tube amp. I worked with it for weeks, posted questions on here, used every combination of outputs, settings, pads, etc. Questions on here were typically met with the same incredulous responses, but the fact is it simply did not have the transparent sound and immediate response I got from using my pedals. So I used my pedalboard with my tube amp, used my AFX2 for direct to FOH, and eagerly awaited the arrival of the FX8. I got one of the first FX8's shipped, and it was an epiphany. The instant I plugged it in, the superiority over the AFX2 both in the effects loop and in 4CM was obvious. No fiddling around with settings and output pads, it just worked instantly, and it FELT like being plugged into the amp. The "thwack" had returned.

Both are amazing for their intended purpose, and especially with the recent Quantum FW updates to the Axe, it's gotten so great for direct to FOH that I practically never use my tube amp anymore. But when I do, it's with the FX8.
I actually meant to test if the Axe in line actually compressed the tone or "degraded" it audibly. The only role it would play would be buffering, IMO. So an appropriate test would be with an equivalent buffer in its place. I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

As for bias, you're right that's a variable - but so too is placebo. Placebo is interesting in a study context because it can lead you against your bias - confirmation bias is strong but it can backfire spectacularly. Only a rigorous double-blind test can eliminate both placebo (or nocebo), and bias.

Back
Top Bottom