Axe-Fx and X2 Wireless problems on the same power strip

Lopp

Inspired
I've been having problems with my X2 XDS-Plus wireless lately. It has cut out at two gigs and one rehearsal where all of the battery level and signal level LEDs were flashing and none of the buttons worked.

It is plugged into the same Furman power strip as the Axe-Fx and a power amp. Line6 recommended plugging it directly into an outlet to avoid interference. So far, that seems to work. Unfortunately, most of our gigs do not allow for a dedicated outlet for the X2, as outlets are limited and we need to power our amps, PA, etc.

The Furman power strip is usually daisy chained off of another power strip that powers our mixer and/or other amps, which is probably exasperating the problem. Along those lines, I don't know what in the signal chain is causing the problem. This makes troubleshooting difficult.

I wish the X2 had a more stable power supply. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem of not being able to properly power the X2 and the Axe-Fx on the same power strip?

is the entire band and sound system running on the same circuit?

can you try at home running just your stuff and see if it works?

the furman won't necessarily hurt or help a problem like that, so it seems lack of supply from the wall. not sure. is anything else browning out?

Hmmm, I run the Ultra, XDS-Plus, pedal power 2 plus, a switch blade, MOTU 898kk II, DBX IEM processor, Foot controller power, and IEM transmitter from one strip and have never had an issue?

I also have run that set up thru a powerstrip that has reference monitors, computers, multi channel daws, eqs, compressor, with a 100W tube amp.

No problems.

I have run my Ultra, XDS-Plus, PSM700 IEMs and MIDI Foot controller on the same strip for nearly 2 years, (3 to 4 gigs per week) without a single issue.

Hey Lopp, just a thought, is your X2 operating in XDS mode or XDS+ mode?
A green LED indicates XDS+ mode which will give you dual frequency diversity interference protection whereas a red LED indicates that
the X2 is is running in XDS which whilst more battery efficient, isn't dual diversity so you may get a little interference.

T

Thank you for all of your input.

chrisallen,

Sometimes the entire band was on the same circuit. At one gig, the X2 puked when the Furman power strip was only powering the X2, Axe-Fx, GT-8 floorboard, and guitar power amp from one wall outlet. However, the other equipment may have been on the same "circuit" that included other wall outlets. This was on stage at a venue that caters to bands, so I would hope the power was sufficient and clean enough. I have been using the X2 off a wall outlet at home for a few hours of practice with no issues so far.

Also, I've even had the Axe-Fx puke twice over the past year using the same Furman power strip running the Axe-Fx, power amp, and GT-8. No problems lately.

Each of the incidents happened at different venues.

javajunkie, Tian, and dpeterson,

It looks like you are powering plenty of equipment on one power strip along with the X2. This seems to confirm that the problem might either be with the X2 itself or the Furman power strip.

Dave,

I tried switching channels, but none of the buttons worked on the X2 when it was puking.

Tian,

Good point. It is operating in XDS+ mode. I.e, the green LED next to "XDS+" is lit.

So far, it's been working alright off a dedicated outlet at home (which doesn't help much for gigs). However, the problem was sporadic and I am still unsure whether the dedicated outlet has fixed the problem (which still wouldn't help for gigs). Especially because everyone else seems to have no problems running similar equipment off one power strip. I think it's either a Furman power strip problem or the X2 itself. Note that the Furman is a power strip, not a rackmount power conditioner.

Thanks again for your input.

just keep trying to isolate the problem as much as possible.

can you test run other electronic devices on the furman to source that? can you try the x2 with just the guitar and and amp or speaker? good luck. sounds like a particular piece is failing.

I power a Shure wireless, Korg tuner, Axe FX, and a Mackie power amp from a Furman power conditioner........................one house outlet, and I've never had a problem, even at questionable venues.

I'm not familiar with the X2, but I'll guess it uses a wall wart power supply? Possibility................

You mentioned the Axe FX puked once...................................shouldn't happen. That would point me towards the Fuman strip.

Some ideas..........................

I have three X2s. I have never had a problem with any of them. I have 2 of the first ones that came out(before Line 6 bought them) and I have 1 of the rack mounts. I use a Monster Pro 2500. I power the Axe-FX, Peterson Tuner, X2 Wireless, Shure PSM 700, and Shure 4 Channel Personal Monitor. I did have Custom guitar cords made for them.

You might want to check the power supply. I think it would be worth replacing it.

Bluesdoc be sure to let us know what you think of this .. please :)

Jim

bluesdoc said:
I've had it with my X2. One warranty repair, two off-warranty repairs, and now it's cutting out again (battery only use). I'm going to deep 6 mine.

THIS is what I'm waiting for:

http://www.waveangle.com/products.html

I once had a little gadget like that (though I forget exactly what model it was). I remember breaking the silly thing off all the time and finally giving up on it. If you get it, be sure you don't squat to interact with the audience or sit in a chair with your guitar strapped on!

Back
Top Bottom