Axe FX amp model comparisons Vol.1: Mesa Boogie MK series (video inside)

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hi guys,

I thought it would be fun to make a new video series for my Sonic Drive Studio's YouTube channel in which we compare Axe FX amp models of similar voicing.
Now, these comparisons aren't meant to be very scientific but they'll give you a good idea of the similarities and differences between the amp models.
In this case I tweaked them to sound pretty darn close but there is still a difference obviously.
Later videos will also feature amp models that have a more varied sound, the FAS modern amps come to mind.

In this video we compare the MKIIC+, MKIIC++ and MKIV amps in a heavy setting.
This is because those amps are generally known from the heavier genres.
We compare the amps twice (once in the beginning and once more at the end of the video), both solo'ed and in the mix.
I also briefly show the presets and all the settings including the Ownhammer IR's used.

I hope you enjoy this first episode and I'd love to hear what amp is your favorite!

I'm not a metal fan at all, but I see a lot of promise in this comparative approach. By showing the settings to make different amps sound similar (and I couldn't hear the difference between these 3 on laptop speakers)- it gives another perspective to appreciate the tonal differences.

I look forward to hearing this type of comparison for some fender amp models.

Last edited:
To me I think I liked the IIC+ the best of the three. Solo they sounded pretty similar and I don't think I'd favor one over the other, but in the mix the IIC+ seemed to just have a slight benefit of being a little more present and cutting through the mix, where as the ++ and VI sounded just a smidge more closed off and muffled by comparison to me. Definitey shades of difference though, all three were great tones.

At any rate, nice series idea Jon. A good way to kind of hear the associated voices of some amps that I don't really play myself, but from someone who knows how to use them right. :)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I thought it would be fun to make a new video series for my Sonic Drive Studio's YouTube channel in which we compare Axe FX amp models of similar voicing.
Now, these comparisons aren't meant to be very scientific but they'll give you a good idea of the similarities and differences between the amp models.
In this case I tweaked them to sound pretty darn close but there is still a difference obviously.
Later videos will also feature amp models that have a more varied sound, the FAS modern amps come to mind.

We compare the amps twice (once in the beginning and once more at the end of the video), both solo'ed and in the mix.
I also briefly show the presets and all the settings including the Ownhammer IR's used.

I hope you enjoy this first episode and I'd love to hear what amp is your favorite!

Definitely will follow these threads & vids!
Also it would be nice too have a vid of how to create good clean, crunch & solo sounds of these amps ;)

Good post! I'd like to add that Mark series amps are not just high gain amps. The edge of breakup and mid-gain tones are worth a look also. The cleans are iconic on both the Mark IV and V I have here, from skinny to fat it's all there. These amps do it all.

Hi guys,

although it would never be the same (different guitar, soundcard, monitors, etc..) wouldbe really nice also to have the presets & wav file to experiment and learn ;)

All the 3 are pretty similar but my fav is the C++ maybe because to me it sounds like the more balanced between the presence of the C+ and the bottom/punch of the IV.
It's always cutting the mix but it has a creamy and almost greasy sound that I like so much. Great tone!

Thanks for the comments guys!
Which amps should I do next?
These are definitely on my list:

5150/5153 amps.
Recto's.
FAS Modern's.
JVM's.
Plexi's.
etc.

I also have some other special things in the pipeline..... :)

Hi guys,

Jon, Thanks for the comparison. I know I'm late to the party, but the C+ was the winner to my ears. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Lee

Back
Top Bottom