Axe-Fx Accuracy Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Part II: Things learned comparing AXE-FX to Bogner Blue

Quick question Cliff... which one of the Tubework MosValve power amps do you use (if I'm remembering correctly)... also, does that power amp color the sound of the amp sim in any way or is it more of a SS power amp? Maybe I should just buy one of those instead of looking at the Mesa 2:90/2:100, or Fryette 2/90/2...

Thanks.

Deltones said:
mortega76 said:
I should be able to connect a great sounding amp like a 5150 to a cab... adjust the knobs and get a great tone... then I should be able to (through the same speaker cab) connect my Axe-fx/SS-amp and go to the PVH 5105 amp sim and dial in using the same (virtual) knobs (including cranking the master volume) and get a similar sounding and feeling tone... no?

Yes, you should. After all, that's what Yek's reference to the manual implies. And yet, we get users' replies like...

Beat things all you want, if you are not willing to learn how to utilize the tools at hand, no one else is going to come along and do it for you. Learn from the presets presented and shared. You come off as someone complaining about buying and using a professional level piece of equipment and then you don't want to learn to use it. It has such a deep pool of professional level tools. Learn them. Use them.

I don't know why, but that kinda puts me in a kick-in-the-nuts mood because it's so freaking far from the freaking point and it makes dismissive and insulting assumptions about how we roll with the Axe-Fx. The point is Basic parameters (BMT, Drive, Volume, Presence) VS Advanced parameters, not the willingness to learn the tool. As far as I'm concerned, Advanced parameters should be used if you want to experiment on, or mod if you will, the amp model you're working on AFTER you dialed in what it should sound like with a basic amp and its proper cab sim, using only the basic parameters you find on almost every amp faceplate in the universe.

Look at it this way: The basic parameters are the like the hammer and the nail. The advanced parameters are like the compressor and the nail gun. If you smashed your thumb/got a crappy sound because you handled your hammer/amp knobs like a retard, then it is really your own damn fault. But in everyday situations, you will nail that nail/tone by using only your basic, run of the mill hammer/amp knobs. However, there is absolutely nothing stopping you to use a nail gun/advanced parameters for special jobs/amp mods. So why should it be different with the Axe-Fx?

This weekend, a friend of mine came over and we tried to create a good Tweed Bassman patch, using only the basic parameters and the stock 4x10 cab. We couldn't do it, it just wasnt' there. So what am I doing? Same thing I did when I created my Twin patch, that I also couldn't nail using only the basic parameters and stock 2x12 cab by the way: Audition Redwirez cabs like crazy, playing around with Advanced/Amp Geek parameters. In short, using a freaking nail gun to nail one simple nail. I don't have any problem doing that with the Ultra. But I still think I shouldn't have to do it.

Addendum:

I just read Cliff's latest long reply and it's a good read. However, I'm pretty sure that what Cliff and others call complaints would never have been an issue if the passage I quoted from Yek's post wasn't in the manual. Perception is reality gentlemen, and people will expect that "the Axe-Fx’s amp, drive and cabinet simulations are very faithful reproductions of the originals" will reflect that reality. Unless I'm mistaken, in the originals, you didn't have to open the chassis and deal with XFormer Hi Freq and Hi Freq Resonance to get the trademark sound of that amp. Simple twists of knobs on the faceplate was all it took. It is what is is...

But using the Axe-Fx as a creative tool and not a direct replacement to existing amps? Sure, I can roll with that, no problem.

Oh yeah, about my Bassman patch attempt:

FractalAudio said:
I adjust little more than the basic controls and it sounds just like my real amps.

Well, my friend and I didn't use this as reference this weekend, but for your own amusement, can you guys make a patch with a 59Bassguy + 4x10 Bass cab block and use the settings you see in the following video? Just the basic parameters. And then compare what you hear. Don't forget that according to the wiki, the drive knob will be your main volume, so your master should be between 4 o'clock to full on with this type of amp. Here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHYHYzcqBOY

Ask. Receive. Learn. Teach.

IMHO, that video... ugg. The tone there blows; if you want Tele tone you can do better than that by far. Yikes. Try my preset...

Bassman preset below. If you have Red Wire - here's my cab mix to plug into MixIR, if not then use stock cab:

Bassman 410 Ref Mix4
BassmanP10Qs-SM57-CapEdgeOffAxis-2in.wav,0.85
BassmanP10Qs-TC30-CapEdge-0in.wav,0.05
BassmanP10Qs-TC30-Back-12in.wav,0.05
BassmanP10Qs-TC30-RoomL.wav,0.025
BassmanP10Qs-TC30-RoomR.wav,0.025

Attachments

• Bassman Stripped SP.syx
    2 KB · Views: 33

Deltones said:
Well, my friend ...

After a post like that I find it amusing you call me your friend.

FractalAudio said:
Deltones said:
Well, my friend ...

He said "Well, my friend and I"..., not addressing you ;) I read it that same "condescending" way as well at first. Funny... Just illustrates how eager we can be to project our feelings in someone else's words.

vAmpli said:
FractalAudio said:
Deltones said:
Well, my friend ...

He said "my friend and I"..., not addressing you ;) I read it that same "condescending" way as well at first. Funny... Just proves how we like to project our feelings in someone elses words.

Thank you. I was kinda baffled by Cliff's response.

FractalAudio said:
Furthermore there are certain aspects that simply can't be modeled and require user intervention. For example, a speaker has a low-frequency resonance. A tube amp will create a higher output at that resonant frequency. The Axe-Fx has no way of knowing what that resonant frequency is and defaults to a value that is common for the speakers that are typically used with that amp. However, if you drive that speaker through a solid-state amp you won't excite the resonance unless you adjust the LF Resonant Frequency to match it. This is the one of the few advanced parameters I ever adjust and I tweak it until I hear the bottom end "sympathize". For example, my favorite Mesa cab resonates around 110 Hz but most of the models default to 95 Hz so I usually adjust the LF Resonance to 110 Hz when using that cab. After I do that the Axe-Fx is indistinguishable from the real thing, IMHO.

I hope everyone is paying attention...this is HUGE and should not be overlooked.

Mike Snider said:
FractalAudio said:
Furthermore there are certain aspects that simply can't be modeled and require user intervention. For example, a speaker has a low-frequency resonance. A tube amp will create a higher output at that resonant frequency. The Axe-Fx has no way of knowing what that resonant frequency is and defaults to a value that is common for the speakers that are typically used with that amp. However, if you drive that speaker through a solid-state amp you won't excite the resonance unless you adjust the LF Resonant Frequency to match it. This is the one of the few advanced parameters I ever adjust and I tweak it until I hear the bottom end "sympathize". For example, my favorite Mesa cab resonates around 110 Hz but most of the models default to 95 Hz so I usually adjust the LF Resonance to 110 Hz when using that cab. After I do that the Axe-Fx is indistinguishable from the real thing, IMHO.

I hope everyone is paying attention...this is HUGE and should not be overlooked.
I'm wondering if using a tone generator with my iPhone will help to find those frequencies? Hm... Is it something that just "POPS" out at you?

P.S. Quick question Cliff... which one of the Tubework MosValve power amps do you use (if I'm remembering correctly)... also, does that power amp color the sound of the amp sim in any way or is it more of a SS power amp? Maybe I should just buy one of those instead of looking at the Mesa 2:90/2:100, or Fryette 2/90/2...

Thanks.

Mike Snider said:
I've attempted more than once in the past to get this point across, but I gave up some time ago. Even within the Axe-Fx - i.e., using cab sims - in order to get an approximation of the interaction between tube amp and speaker, you've got to set the resonant frequency to a value that's in the ballpark (+/- 10% is more than close enough) of that of the original speaker. If you don't know what that value is, a little investigation is in order. There's no way to reasonably automate this in the Axe-Fx, because speaker and cab sim would have to exchange data in addition to realtime signal values.

mortega76 said:
I'm wondering if using a tone generator with my iPhone will help to find those frequencies?
It takes a little more than that in the way of equipment and some knowledge as well. If you've got a signal generator and an oscilloscope, I can outline a simple procedure that will give you the correct value.

Hm... Is it something that just "POPS" out at you?
Not at all.

Couldn't Cliff provide the resonant frequencies of the stock cab IRs? At least for the IRs he took himself.

BTW, great post by Cliff, was a good read and should clear some points on what to expect from the A-Fx and what not.

mortega76 said:
Jay... all it's going to do is get me banned again for talking to you
Your prior ban had nothing to do with "talking" to me.

mortega76 said:
Quick question Cliff... which one of the Tubework MosValve power amps do you use (if I'm remembering correctly)... also, does that power amp color the sound of the amp sim in any way or is it more of a SS power amp? Maybe I should just buy one of those instead of looking at the Mesa 2:90/2:100, or Fryette 2/90/2...

Thanks.

I'm guessing it might be an idea to either open a new thread and ask this, or send an email... :)

Jay Mitchell said:
mortega76 said:
I'm wondering if using a tone generator with my iPhone will help to find those frequencies?
It takes a little more than that in the way of equipment and some knowledge as well. If you've got a signal generator and an oscilloscope, I can outline a simple procedure that will give you the correct value.

It's out of the realm of 99% of users then, unfortunately. I guess the next best thing would be a description of what to look for (hear for) when adjusting the parameter Cliff's talking about.

Sebastian said:
Couldn't Cliff provide the resonant frequencies of the stock cab IRs?
If he took that data when he had the cabs, he could. It's a completely separate process from acquiring an IR, so it's not automatically the case that he has the information.

mark_melling said:
mortega76 said:

Thanks.

I'm guessing it might be an idea to either open a new thread and ask this, or send an email... :)
Point taken... I'll PM him. Thanks.

Cliff's post about the resonant frequency is very insightful. It is a straight forward, easy to understand explanation of what the parameter is for. I suppose if Cliff would take the time to go through each of the amp block's advanced parameters, with a similar straight forward explanation, that a bit of the mystery of that page would fade, as everyone gained a common understanding of the parameters. Just an idea. :)

I'd vote to delete all the rants on this thread so you don't have to scroll through all the pages for the good nuggets of information that is provided by the OP and others.

Carry on...

mortega76 said:
mark_melling said:
mortega76 said:

Thanks.

Point taken... I'll PM him. Thanks.

Ps. i wasn't being a smarta*s..just trying to diffuse a little of the emotions!! :D

Wow. :roll: :lol: What happened!!!

I last looked at this thread when it was two pages long and really interesting, especially as I have never actually owned a Bogner to have a good comparison (but dig the Bognor tones) and I came back expecting to find even more cool blue channel settings/discussion and...well, lets face it, tangent really doesn't begin to cover it...come on, back to the Bognor blue channel or start a new thread!?

Griffin said:
Wow. :roll: :lol: What happened!!!

I last looked at this thread when it was two pages long and really interesting, especially as I have never actually owned a Bogner to have a good comparison (but dig the Bognor tones) and I came back expecting to find even more cool blue channel settings/discussion and...well, lets face it, tangent really doesn't begin to cover it...come on, back to the Bognor blue channel or start a new thread!?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom