Axe-FX 7-pin bidirectional MIDI pinout ?

David dP

Been planning to make an interface for my rack for a long time.

Now that I have received my Liquid Foot Jr, it has become urgent.

So what is the pinout for the 7-pin MIDI in on the back of the Axe-FX ?

Here's how I'm seeing things :
- 7-pin midi in/out/phantom from axe-fx to interface
- inside interface :
midi out and phantom of Axe-FX to midi in of Jr.
midi out of Jr. to midi in of Fireface 400
midi out of Fireface 400 to midi in of Axe-FX
- 7-pin midi in/out/phantom from interface to Jr.

Will this work ? I'll have to check if the Fireface does midithru. Otherwise I'll have to use two midi mergers...

Hope this helps you. These are the pin definitions on the axe-fx.

1 - Reserved
2 - N/C
3 - Reserved
4 - DATA+
5 - DATA-
6 - Phantom power
7 - Phantom power

The rocktron 7to7pin cable goes through my rack interface and out to my LF pro. You will have to make sure what the pin definitions of your other devices are before you start making something. (not sure) Never made one myself. Only modified what I had made for me.
It looks like you need some sort of smart midi device. (Router)

Thanks GD !

Actually shouldn't pin 2 be GND ?

And I guess the "reserved" pins 1 & 3 are for the midi out. But now which is data + and which is data - ???

In past exp, yes pin 2 was the ground.
I would assume that data4+ is send and data5- is recieve. This could be best answered by FAS since this definition came from them.
All I did was line up the pins! :D

MIDI is a current loop and requires two wires for the data, hence data+ and data-. Pin 2 should be grounded only on the sending end, i.e. the controller. Pins 1 & 3 are typically no connect but the Axe-Fx uses them to send MIDI data for bidirectional communications with the MFC-101. Pins 6 & 7 are connected to the phantom power jack on the back of the unit.

FractalAudio said:
MIDI is a current loop and requires two wires for the data, hence data+ and data-. Pin 2 should be grounded only on the sending end, i.e. the controller. Pins 1 & 3 are typically no connect but the Axe-Fx uses them to send MIDI data for bidirectional communications with the MFC-101. Pins 6 & 7 are connected to the phantom power jack on the back of the unit.

Thanks Cliff. And which among pins 1&3 is data + and which is data - ?

Oh, and is the "midi out of the mdi in connector" actually a midi thru ?

I actually need to know the order of the pins 1 and 3 too. Does anyone know which is which?

Back
Top Bottom