Axe-Fx 4CM vs FX8

geoangus

Inspired
So I have an Axe-Fx XL. My usage is solely as a live rig, but my love/hate relationship with amp modeling is getting the better of me. I’m ready to go back to an amp, but since I already own the XL, does it make any sense to sell it and go to an FX-8, or does the XL perform just as well in 4CM?

So I have an Axe-Fx XL. My usage is solely as a live rig, but my love/hate relationship with amp modeling is getting the better of me. I’m ready to go back to an amp, but since I already own the XL, does it make any sense to sell it and go to an FX-8, or does the XL perform just as well in 4CM?

Great question.. Here's my suggestion based on my experience..

The FX8 will be a better option for 4CM period. I'm actually doing it now with my 50w EVH 5153 and it's so good, so seamless, it's better than when I did the same thing via an Axe FX instead. Some gear nerds and tweakers may argue and say that the FX8 can only have 8 FX going at the same time.. who cares?! How often will you ever have more than 3 or 4 or even 5 FX being used at the exact same time?

When I used to run my Axe-2 in 4CM, I found it to be too finicky and not straight forward. More gear to have to connect up and carry around (what's that worth to you alone??). From memory there's a lot involved (on Axe-edit, setting various parameters blah blah), whereas once you've done it on the FX8 - it's done. Essentially, that's what the FX8 is for, whereas even though the Axe FX can do it too, you'll inevitably keep tweaking and tweaking which you won't have to do with the FX8. Just copy, paste and replicate it for your songs or patches. Plus, knowing that you have amp + cab sims on the XL means you'll get tempted to start incorporating them into your patches, which makes the rabbit hole deeper still... I know it, you know it, and our Lord and Savior John Petrucci knows it too! :p:D

Lastly, if you can afford to keep the XL, keep it, don't get rid of it just yet.. See how the FX8 journey works out for you.

Hope that makes sense.. hope it helps too!

I was in the same boat as you a month or so ago. Apparently, the XL doesn’t share the same low noise circuitry as the FX8 does but the XL+ does. I went with the XL+. From my knowledge the big differences between the FX8 and it’s big brother is that you can bypass the pre and post sections of the unit. Which is awesome.

I am completely happy with the XL+ in 4CM when I use it in that configuration. And it’s super easy to setup.

I think something that has not been mentioned is the routing of effects.Yeah the FX8 can run effects serial or parallel. But the AxeFx can run all sorts of crazy route's. So if you have some crazy chains and get a FX8 you might find it a little frustrating.
Myself IF I was still running tube amps, the FX8 would be more than enough for me (for what I do)
However! If I already owned a AxeFx, I would use that and live with that setup for awhile (get use to it).If noise becomes a problem maybe go for the FX8 or the XT+ like @Satch4u3
John

I thought I read that the FX8 had different (higher quality) converters than any of the other Fractal units.

I went from a Axe-FX II Mark ii to an FX8, and was mostly satisfied. Noise floor was alledgedly lower, but the real world difference may not really be that audible. At the time I was using the relays for switching and was keeping effects routing fairly simple.

I now have a Mesa TC50, which switches via MIDI, and started feeling that the limitations on the effects routing kind of bothered me. Biggest complaint is no X/Y on the EQ with FX8. I went with a new XL+ and i have an insanely flexible live rig now. I also think the amp modeling has improved as well, so I'm using that for recording as well.

Now, the downside... If you are switching amp channels via MIDI the setup is not as simple as it is with the FX8. It works well, but I had to dig thru the manuals and do a bit of trial and error to get it figured out. I use 5 scenes generally, so i use the Link
feature for those buttons on the MFC so that only one can be activated at a time, and the lights follow what is selected.

Back
Top Bottom