Axe-Fx 3 with Headrush 108

Thanks for real honest opinion. Yes they are cheap, I just wanted to try if it works ok. I have studio monitors on my desk. But Axe did not sounded good over them (I just quickly tried, did not tweaked).
I checked some YT videos with FRFR speaker tests, and they sound pretty of the same quality to me. And yes I know, you cannot check speakers and sound over internet.
I have a bunch of good amps (Marshall, Mesa, EVH, Fender, ...) so main purpose of Axe is for recording.

The question is why I cannot filter freqs that make HR108 sound boxy. I have a feeling that there is a bend in the mids that has to be cut off to get better sound. And yes, if I push the HR108 it starts to sound better, but I wanted to use it at mid/lower volume.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned getting them off the ground which will cut the boominess by quite a bit...

I Eq my FRFR's including my HR108 to the room I am playing in and am getting good results...the worst is playing in a cement floor garage...but it can still be tamed well enough to get by.

The question is why I cannot filter freqs that make HR108 sound boxy. I have a feeling that there is a bend in the mids that has to be cut off to get better sound. And yes, if I push the HR108 it starts to sound better, but I wanted to use it at mid/lower volume.

sounds like F-M effect

pretty common

“Boxy” lives around 500 Hz,, give at take 100 Hz. or so. Try cutting those frequencies. If that doesn’t improve the situation, then boxiness isn’t your problem.

Can’t someone with a 108 and is happy with it send him a preset? That would be helpful I think. If only to rule out some things

What is F-M effect?
fletcher munson: at low volume people hear low and high frequencies less than at higher volume. Therefore the button on the 108 to eq up the lows and highs for low volumes; like a 'loudness' knob. I however don't hear any difference but maybe I don't play at a low enough volume or played at loud volumes for too long ;)

Aha, ok, I did not know the acronym. Yes I tried the knob :) it scoops the mids. But quality is the same.
I need to move the equipment to another room to test it on high volumes.

I run two headrush frfr108's with my Axe3. Sounds killer! Even keeps up with live drums easily. First things I would check is on the back of the headrush, make sure the contour button is in flat response mode which is not pressed in I think, double check their manual. Also make sure you are using TRS cables and not speaker or guitar instrument cable to connect the headrush from your fractal outputs. Also in the amp block, make sure it's in FRFR mode not power amp mode. Headrush frfr amps are lil bass heavy, set your cab block preamp low pass and high pass to 80hz and 8500hz. From there, you can dial in the actual cab IR low/high pass more to fit the room you're in. Also it all comes down to the IRs you are using, that comes down to feel and taste from there. Hope this helps.
Late response, I know, I'm sorry.

I also have two FRFR108's. What difference do TRS cables make when connecting 1/4" outs from the FM3 to the FRFR108's? I've been using either XLR (out1) or TS cables (out2) with good results. I can't really tell the difference between them actually. Am I risking something by not connecting the FRFR108's with TRS cables?

Late response, I know, I'm sorry.

I also have two FRFR108's. What difference do TRS cables make when connecting 1/4" outs from the FM3 to the FRFR108's? I've been using either XLR (out1) or TS cables (out2) with good results. I can't really tell the difference between them actually. Am I risking something by not connecting the FRFR108's with TRS cables?
Xlr is perfect or TRS

Yes, but is there any disadvantage using TS cables?
Balanced cables (TRS or XLR) will give you better interference rejection. You probably aren’t experiencing that problem, anyway.

Balanced connections will also give you a hotter signal.

I have been searching a new FRFR cab for some time. The usual suspects: CLR, Matrix and Yamaha were first on my list.

Then I thought, do I really get that much more when putting about 1k money to my personal monitoring/rehearsal use vs MAYBE consider the cheaper options.

So, I found Laney, Tech 21 and Headrush to be the ”best” cheaper options. All of them seemed to have overall happy users. So for the first time in my life I chose the cheapest option and decided to give the Headrush a change!

On paper it is the best for my use: small, light, loud! (and good sounding?)

I had a great luck, ’cause I found one NEW, unopened locally on the used market and the price was, dare I say, very cheap.

I guess I know soon, how good this thing turns out to be.

I have the HR 112 running stereo for my bass rig & love the sound that comes out of these. For the price they can't be beat.
as for boomyness, yes they can be boomy at times but hey I'm a bass player, they should have some boom to them.

Almost month with this monitor and I can say, that it is a WIN! Sounds really good and works like a charm in rehearsals. I love how light and compact this is!

I’m definitely gonna get another one for stereo use!

I bought a 108 new to check them out. I had it in a bedroom always at lower settings. After 3 1/2 months (just beyond the warranty) it stopped turning on. Tried a couple new fuses in case one new was faulty, different power source...nothing...now it sits in the corner a big paperweight...just gonna run a pedal baby to a cabinet now

Back
Top Bottom