Axe-Fx 3 with Headrush 108

gregori

Hi all!

I am searching for advice how to setup AXE FX 3 with Headrush 108 speaker. It is just not sounding ok. I tried many cabinets, amps, IRs, EQ outputs, changing global setup. It sound boxy cheap. If you know what I mean.
For test I connected Helix stomp with some preset I had on it (with IR), and it sounded much much better.

Where is the catch?

I have a pair of 108's that I originally used with my Headrush Gigbard. I thought they sounded pretty brutal with that setup. When I got my FX3, I thought the same thing. The IR's in the FX3 are extremely realistic. Much more than the stock ones in my Headrush. There is a control in the cab block called Smoothing. Work with that a little. I think most Helix and Headrush IR's are kind or idealized cabinets meant to sound good with a variety of FRFR's. There are A LOT of cabinets in the FX3 and you will find what you are looking for. I am very pleased with the cabinets I have found for my various presets and most of them are in the box, not outside bought.

What amps do you prefer and maybe some folks can point you toward some cabs.

What volume do you have the output 1 knob set at and what volume do you have the 108 at?

Set the 108 at about 3/4 or slightly more and turn up your axe till you're happy. It might be volume levels which I've ran into before.

Assumes preset levels are at 0 on the meter just ticking red-ish.

Last edited:
I had a couple of Headrush 108s that I tried at different points when they first came out. Both of mine had vibration issues even with the bass reduced. I just returned them and gave up. I love how small and compact they are but in the end, they did not work for me.

I run two headrush frfr108's with my Axe3. Sounds killer! Even keeps up with live drums easily. First things I would check is on the back of the headrush, make sure the contour button is in flat response mode which is not pressed in I think, double check their manual. Also make sure you are using TRS cables and not speaker or guitar instrument cable to connect the headrush from your fractal outputs. Also in the amp block, make sure it's in FRFR mode not power amp mode. Headrush frfr amps are lil bass heavy, set your cab block preamp low pass and high pass to 80hz and 8500hz. From there, you can dial in the actual cab IR low/high pass more to fit the room you're in. Also it all comes down to the IRs you are using, that comes down to feel and taste from there. Hope this helps.

Ok, it helps if headrush is pushed on volume. It gets better, more towards good sound. I setup low pass and high pass filters and also experimented with different IRs. Clean sound is lets say fine, but distorted is no-go. There is some boxy frequencies that bother me.
For example playing clean G string sound with that boxy plastic sound.
On headphones sound is ok.

Can you provide a sound clip demonstrating the problem? “Boxy cheap” means different things to different people.

I will try to record a sample to represent what I mean.
I have two of 108, one still in the box. Trying with one first. Also FM3 still waits in the box ;)
Main reason for getting Fractal is for recording, that is working fine. I am trying to setup Axe3 and HR108 for possible rehearsal rig.
And yes, I am picky with how amp should sound.

I will try to record a sample to represent what I mean.
My honest opinion from hearing the HR-108s is that they simply do not sound good. They're not accurate and they aren't linear. They are a re-badged low-end powered monitor cabinet, and that's what they sound like.

And yes, I am picky with how amp should sound.

1) When you are monitoring any sort of digital rig, the more accurate the speaker you use, the better your sound will be.
2) With studio monitors and powered PA wedges, you generally get what you pay for.

Why would anyone pair the best-in-class digital rig with the absolute bottom-grade monitor and expect good results? If you want to hear what the Axe-FX can do, you need to pair it with a monitor system of a similar performance level. You aren't going to get a best-in-class monitor for $300, any more than a $300 modeller would compete with the Axe-FX.

Thanks for real honest opinion. Yes they are cheap, I just wanted to try if it works ok. I have studio monitors on my desk. But Axe did not sounded good over them (I just quickly tried, did not tweaked).
I checked some YT videos with FRFR speaker tests, and they sound pretty of the same quality to me. And yes I know, you cannot check speakers and sound over internet.
I have a bunch of good amps (Marshall, Mesa, EVH, Fender, ...) so main purpose of Axe is for recording.

The question is why I cannot filter freqs that make HR108 sound boxy. I have a feeling that there is a bend in the mids that has to be cut off to get better sound. And yes, if I push the HR108 it starts to sound better, but I wanted to use it at mid/lower volume.

I too use 2 headrush 108 in stereo. Just eq down the low frequencies to taste in the global output page because they are a little boomy. For their money it's I'm very satisfied with their sound.

Back
Top Bottom