Axe FX 3 ... Unity Gain on Front Panel Output Knob 1 ... Is it at 12.00?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all !

On the Axe FX 3, is Unity Gain on Front Panel Output Knob 1 at 12.00 ......... -or- ........ does Front Panel Output Knob 1 need to be on full for it to be at Unity Gain ?

Thanks,
Ben

I was wondering the same because I wanted unity gain for all outputs when using FM3 with the 4 cable method.
The short answer: Yes, at +4 dBu setting for output-1, the output level-1 at 50% (12:00) equals output-3/4 with the output level-2 at 100% (which is assumed to be uity gain).

Longer answer: I am not 100% sure about the unity gain thing for output-3/4 at full volume:
I quickly did some level comparison with an external soundcard and a spectrum analyser in Reaper using a pink noise input signal:
At the +4 dBu setting for output-1 the volume at 50% (12:00) equals output-2 with the output level at 100%.
However both are not exactly unity gain (0dB) but -1.2dB.
Only for output-1 at -10 dBu and level set to full I measured true unity gain.
But I have to say that I also could have done some stupid mistake when measuring the different levels.
On the other hand, probably the -1.2dB does not really matter (also taking into account the tolerances of the level potentiometers). I don't think that will have any impact for most practical applications.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom