AFIII Axe-Fx 3 Streaming?

J00McG00

Hey guys,

With Covid-19 in full effect, I've decided to start doing some music streams along with my video game streams. I've succesfully been able to connect my guitar through the OBS Studio streaming software, but I'm running into a weird issue. When I play, my guitar is playing what sounds like a DI signal along with the tone I've made. I'm not really sure how to fix this or if it's something in the AxeFx vs OBS.

Let me know if anyone has experience with this. Thanks for your help.

Here's my twitch channel if you'd like to follow / help:

Here’s a photo. My focusrite Scarlett 18i20 is controlling all of my ins and outs, I’m running the axefx via USB to OBS because of how weird people audio and game audio work together

Attachments

• 8AC8B7E7-F9A6-4BA1-B1CC-A6A6825ED8C7.jpeg
    8AC8B7E7-F9A6-4BA1-B1CC-A6A6825ED8C7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
Are you sure that's not the sound of your guitar coming through your vocal mic? When I do this I always have to remember to mute the vocal mic in my DAW (I run my streaming setup through logic).

I was referring to Settings, audio for the screenshot.

I understand sending separate signals and not using the Focusrite for the Axe. But it’s possible all channels of the Axe USB are being sent, including the dry.

As a test, delete the Axe3 from the main page audio source, and add it as another “Mic/Line” in Settings-Audio.

Any change?

I think OBS is getting all signals of the Axe USB. Most other programs allow you to just choose Out 1-2 which is the normal effected sound.

Not sure there is a way to turn it off in the Axe itself or in Windows audio settings.

Seems you get the DI signal mixed in the bunch of signals feed from the USB connection (like a kind of mixdown of all the signald the USB can carry).
Try to connect the l/r jackout from the AxeFx to the audio interface and don't use the USB audio function into OBS.
Use the AxeFx USB only for Axe Edit if you need it.
OR... do the same and go into a mixer... and then from the main outs of the mixer to the audio interface.

@GuttaLaser I'm using a Focusrite 18i20, and I tried forever ago to get it to work, but I like a clean workspace so I like to keep my AxeFx plugged into the back. The back 5 channels (3-8) apparently don't communicate with any sort of VOIP or voice communication and only 1/2 do. I guess it's a stereo feed to the computer via USB. I guess that's something else to try...I don't know why these things can't be separated / worked on. I know a ton of musician streamers that find it INCREDIBLY frustrating to route audio to twitch.

Look at this video of Matt Heafy from Trivium, it's kinda ridiculous what he has to do to get audio to twitch and an interface:

@GuttaLaser I'm using a Focusrite 18i20, and I tried forever ago to get it to work, but I like a clean workspace so I like to keep my AxeFx plugged into the back. The back 5 channels (3-8) apparently don't communicate with any sort of VOIP or voice communication and only 1/2 do. I guess it's a stereo feed to the computer via USB. I guess that's something else to try...I don't know why these things can't be separated / worked on. I know a ton of musician streamers that find it INCREDIBLY frustrating to route audio to twitch.

Look at this video of Matt Heafy from Trivium, it's kinda ridiculous what he has to do to get audio to twitch and an interface:

i didn't watch this video yet, but to get audio to Twitch, i just send everything analog to a non-usb mixer, then send the mixer's signal to a small USB interface (RCA in and out). that's it. i've also used a mixer with USB built-in, and that sends directly to OBS/Twitch as well. it's not too complicated.

to separate things out for discord or other separation, you'd need 2 different USB interfaces so discord gets its own signal, and OBS gets another. for discord, you're usually leaving something out, like the Computer audio so it doesn't feedback.

but simply getting audio to twitch isn't too complicated.

I'm able to get my Axe3 to work with OMS but only the right side is coming through. When I play there is a red marker at the bottom of the left channel gain light (all the way to the left of the light) on OMS. Both bars are moving but in headphone on YouTube streaming I only hear right side. Any thoughts?

The USB audio I/O of the Axe Fx is much more than a simply L/R stereo signal!
The Axe is a kind of audio interface and via USB can carry 8x8 I/O channels!

This is what you get from/to USB (From Fractal Wiki):

USB In (from Axe-Fx III to Computer):
1+2: Output 1 (regular stereo output)
3+4: Output 2 (regular stereo output)
5+6: Input 1 (copy of signal at front/rear Instrument input, for reamping, mono)
7+8: Input 2 (copy of signal at Input 2, stereo)

USB Out (from computer to Axe-Fx III):
1+2: Routed to physical Output 1 L+R (audio from computer, added to OUT1)
3+4: Routed to physical Output 2 L+R (audio from computer, i/e/ backing tracks that can be processed separately)
5+6: Routed to the Grid via INPUT 1 block when its source is set to USB (for reamping)
7+8: Routed to the Grid via the dedicated INPUT USB block (for additional computer audio)
The source of USB Outputs 7,8 (to computer) can be set. Inputs 2-4 can be assigned to USB 7,8.

This issue has been driving me crazy all of last night and this morning. I have a work around (sorta). You cant use the line in from the Axe Fx III in OBS. OBS is dumb and doesnt let you split what is coming in. Its grabbing ALL of the audio streams from the Axe Fx Including the DI tracks. It becomes very noticeable if you are using high gain amps. I went back to my old method of using voice meter banana. I just put the line from the Axe FX on one of the tracks in voice meter and set my interface as the main audio out in VMB and it only picks up the wet tracks and none of the dry tracks. You can tell that OBS is picking up everything because the audio I get direct from OBS using the line in from the Axe Fx I louder and you can hear the dry tracks under neath if you palm mute and pick really hard.

I havent figured out how to get OBS to see my SPDIF connection from my focusrite 6i6. I use the SPDIF to connect my Axe FX and it works well. OBS just sucks is what is causing all of this lol.

Another way to do it is to download REAstream, its a reaper plug in, and use that. You put REAstream on the track you went to feed audio too in OBS, then on the track you have opened in OBS you go to the filters part and put REAstream on it. This would feed SPIDF or anything else you are using from your interface into your DAW (I/O set ups in DAWs are way better than OBS) into OBS.

OBS needs a major over hall in it's audio handling to let you split streams. I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom