Axe-Fx 3 Seamless No Gap Scene Switching

orion32773

Experienced
I’m sure some of you already know about this and Marco Fanton has used this method to smooth out any gap when switching scenes, but someone commented on an old video so I figured I’d try it out. Honestly, I feel there have been great improvements with the channel switching in scenes so I never really had an issue. This takes away using channels so it’s not something I would use often. I love the channels feature too much.

I meant that the method in the video does not prohibit using Channels to change amp sounds. You can change Amp 1 and 2 to other amp types and still enjoy fast switching between those blocks.

I didn’t try that. Very cool. Will have to expand that with another video. More content yay lol. This really opens things up.

I cant figure out how you use all 4 channels in one scene. LOL
If you have the FC footswitch it's pretty easy. As an example (I didn't want to mess up my gig layout) go over to the per preset layout and just configure the switch to change channels within that scene. There is still a little bit of a gap, but like I said in my video the gap doesn't bother me...it's much better than the AX8 and has gotten better with the 3, but yek is right in that you can still enjoy channels. What I meant was that you can't really have the zero gap with scenes without using the amps in parallel (still not bad at all) but it does open up a ton more flexibility. See the attached image...you just need to turn off smart bypass when you set a switch to change channels. Yek, correct me if I am speaking incorrectly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 7.21.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 7.21.56 PM.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: yek
Reviving this thread! (I hope)

I've just set up a preset who does this.

Basically I use two amps both with scenene ignore engaged, the multiplexer after the amps, and 2 switches who does channel increase and decrease on both amps separately. I've set a controll switch to do the multiplexer change between 2 rows.

Note that both amp blocks are set the same (amp 2 is a copy of amp 1), so:
Ch A = clean
Ch B = crunch
Ch C = dist
Ch D = ultra/lead.

(Or what ever you want)

The controll switch tels me if I'm using amp 1 or 2, and the inc/Dec buttons allowing to set the next amp on what channel I want.

I use scenes for fx changes, (if I need multiple FX on or off at once witch i often do)

I use 3 different layouts for this setup. Layout 1 with scenes and utilities.
Layout 2 with amp 2 channel prep and FX scenes.
Layout 3 with amp 1 channel prep and FX scenes.

I use layout links with the hold function on all layouts. Worth a note is that I put my dry signal on a dedicated row and my FX on another dedicated row. This way I can easily prep my changes and get seamless switching. It's some more buttons to press, sure, but I think that the seamless switching is worth it!

Anyone found some new/other ways of doing this?

And one important thing! :
I don't ever bypass the amps. This way it's always loaded. This way = seamless switching

Can you get gapless scene switching with just 2 amps? One setup for cleans and another for gain? Presets always have to load but I thought the point about having two amps or 4 amp channels is to eliminate this gap?

Can you get gapless scene switching with just 2 amps? One setup for cleans and another for gain? Presets always have to load but I thought the point about having two amps or 4 amp channels is to eliminate this gap?
I dont use different presets for the changes within a song. If you change presets the axe will have to load it. Then you will get the gap. I do it within the preset.
Yes, you can use all 4 channels on both amps. I duplicate the ampblock so that i got a 4 channel amp ready to go.

Anyone found some new/other ways of doing this?

I love gapless presets! This is my obsession with programming the Axe-FX III. I like having four Drive Blocks in parallel, then a Multiplexer, then two amps, then another Multiplexer. I also do not bypass anything, and I do not switch Channels for Drives or Amps; instead of Channels I use Scene Controllers, which can also be gapless, if you set each modifier for maximum speed (three settings to watch there). I create a spreadsheet for the settings that change between eight Scenes, calculating the Scene Controller settings for different values. You can then use altered modifier curves to assign multiple parameters to the same Scene Controller, up to 32 modifiers. It’s a son of a bitch to program, but totally with it, and utterly gapless.

If you search the forum for the term gapless in the title with my username, I’ve posted my spreadsheet calculations (Input Gain took some figuring). If you have any questions, let me know!

I love gapless presets! This is my obsession with programming the Axe-FX III. I like having four Drive Blocks in parallel, then a Multiplexer, then two amps, then another Multiplexer. I also do not bypass anything, and I do not switch Channels for Drives or Amps; instead of Channels I use Scene Controllers, which can also be gapless, if you set each modifier for maximum speed (three settings to watch there). I create a spreadsheet for the settings that change between eight Scenes, calculating the Scene Controller settings for different values. You can then use altered modifier curves to assign multiple parameters to the same Scene Controller, up to 32 modifiers. It’s a son of a bitch to program, but totally with it, and utterly gapless.

If you search the forum for the term gapless in the title with my username, I’ve posted my spreadsheet calculations (Input Gain took some figuring). If you have any questions, let me know!
Dude, all I gotta say about that is ugh, that's not how I want to live my life. More power to you, but that's not for me.

Back
Top Bottom