Axe-Fx 3 preamp vs Synergy amp quality question

Irfan

Inspired
Hi,
Just curious for player Have tried both
Do you think axefx3 Can par the feel and quality of synergy amp module ? Or even Better , Im on the edge to decide to sell the synergy amp with the axefx3

Ps : I feel synergy amp way Better than kemper Amps in the term of dynamic

The short answer is yes. I sold my SYN2 and 4 modules about six weeks before buying an Axe-FX III. I really liked the Synergy stuff, to the point where I was ready for it to replace my Randall 667, but I couldn't cover the ground I needed with two slots. I was probably going to need a second SYN2 and maybe flip a few more modules. I was open to that despite the additional cost and effort of flipping more modules, but Synergy seem to have some ongoing problems getting new products out the door, and even filling back orders for existing products. I got tired of waiting.

I'm really particular about pick attack with single notes. I like a crisp, immediate pick attack, and I've been able to dial in a lead tone with the Axe III that's as good as or better than what I get with my Randall 667, and better than a lot of tube amps I owned on the way to the 667. Dynamics as well. Dirty tones clean up with my guitar volume, responds to picking intensity, etc.

I may decide I don't even need my 667 any more, but I need to get a few gigs under my belt with the Axe III before making that decision.

Hope that helps.

A friend of mine is heavily stocked with Synergy and for me, I can't help but feel that the lack of power amp behavior is a real soft spot for the modular setup. A lot of these amps are very heavily influenced by the behavior of their power section. With the Synergy you either run a tube amp and everything takes on that color, or you run a neutral amp and basically have no power amp coloration of any sort. (Compromise: use an IR shot through a non-neutral power amp and run the Synergy into a Mooer or Torpedo or something.)

The Axe-Fx, on the other hand, has the ability to do proper power amp simulation and integrate that into the output. For that reason, I think it's a superior result for both tone and feel.

As @Promit pointed out, the Synergy stuff is kind of a compromise over actual amps. And Axe-Fx III captures the feel and quality of real amps bang on IMHO, so...

I would expect many of the synergy preamps to be inferior to their AxeFx counterparts. They are replicating preamps that often have 3+ preamp tubes and multiple channels with cramped 2 tube PCB ckt.

Some may sound good since many are done in partnership with OEMs etc but the physical limitations are hardwired into the system.

The Axe has no limits in what it can do in the digital domain and preamp tone and feel has been nailed for a long time now. IMHO. I came to Fractal from tube preamp rack rigs and it was an awesome choice.

Ok I get it, from the term of technology axefx3 is beyond anything and from my experience using axefx2 Kemper ax8 Synergy has something that I can’t get from all that maybe because the synergy is more to analog approach , or maybe the hate of learning curve thing . I will give a try to axef3 before I sell the synergy , thx for your sharing guys

I guess I don't necessarily see the Synergy stuff as inferior. I got great tones out of every module I tried, even the ones that weren't really the tones I was looking for. The modules seem to be voiced with the decoupled power amp in mind, and they responded like a tube amp. I think a lot of it depends on whether a guy is wanting to mimic the sound of a specific amp, or just looking for a canvas upon which to create great tones. For the latter, the Synergy stuff is as good as any tube amp that I've ever owned.

That said, I don't find anything lacking with the Axe-FX III in terms of tone or feel, at all. Plus, I've gotten amps and cabinets to choose from beyond what I ever could have gotten with Synergy, and drive pedals, effects, etc. I don't know if I'm quite ready to say that tubes don't matter, but as a 49 year old guitar player who's been playing tube amps (that included Synergy) for 30+ years and who still has all of his hearing, I'm finding myself quite happy with the Axe III.

Honestly, I think Synergy is a desperate attempt to save the tube amp industry, which is why all of these tube amp makers have come together to make one product. I can guarantee that a $400 VH-4 Module doesn't sound nearly as good as a $4,400 VH-4. That's just the reality of the methodology of tube amps and analog technology. It's kind of bittersweet because everyone loves tube amps. Fractal wouldnt exist without them. But they are holding on to a technology that we are watching and experiencing become inferior with every firmware release. Amp modeling is the evolution of tube amps. It's the next species. Fractal is using a lighter while Synergy is rubbing sticks together. It just is what it is.

I previously used the egnater m4 w/ eganter, Randall, and 3rd party modules. Fryette 2/50/2 for the power amp. You can definitely get a good range of tones from the modules. My opinion is the axe 3 is more versatile and customizable without sacrificing tone or feel. With the axe3, I don’t have to use a pedalboard which simplified everything as well.

Been l playing for 44 years (2nd grade)...
I've had and have some really great tube amps and gear over the years. Axe FX III is hands down the most versatile, useful, and gear sounding tone generating machine to date for me!

I don't own Synergy, but have spent quite a bit of time playing through them and the various earlier iterations of the idea.

I agree with all the points above, I've always been struck by the strange idea that various amp manufacturers will build a company around the unique design of their amp and how you need all the components to make the 'perfect tone', yet somehow the power amp, transformers etc. suddenly don't matter and it's all about the pre-amp.

In the time I've spent playing them, I really enjoyed it - they sound good and cranking them up is satisfying.

But in terms of replicating the amp they're meant to be, I'd say patchy - I found the Marshall'y stuff was ok, but the Fender stuff - just no. Thinking about it - what a surprise, I was playing through a Marshall power amp and 4x12!

And therein is the problem, I don't have that with the Fractal and honestly with the latest firmware and as I've got better at IR selection (big part I was always way too casual about) - for me, we're not even in the same ballpark for realism.

So if realism and variety is your thing, Fractal all day. If you want one function per knob and the feeling of building a hardware rig - then Synergy is a valid route, but be realistic about what is possible

I've made a succesful GAS Suppression Exercise: I've spend a while with Henning's video, playing my JEM7V guitar to A/B match with the Axe-FX. After less than 20 minutes, my acquisition syndrome about the Synergy Vai module has completely vanished :D

I have succeeded using the Cali Leggy AMP with Factory2 #48 CAB (2x12 Leggy 121B). Playing with the basic controls and the Boost/Cut/Fat/Bright switches I was able to clone and surpass all the tones of the red channel at that video.

I have not been able to extract juice from the Legato 100. It sounds muddy with my configuration.

I attach the quick preset

edit:
BTW: the response when rolling down the volume at the guitar is amazing

Attachments

• Carvin Legacy VL100.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Meh... Synergy is pretty kick ass as far as a tube solution goes. I have the SYN-30 combo with a REAL 6L6 clean tone onboard that sounds excellent. I'm using the Friedman Dirty Shirley module for broken up tones and the second channel for rock leads and it kicks total ass. A KILLER 3 channel combo, perfect FX loop, MIDI controllable, analog cab simulated DI out (which is very good, made me actually sell the FM3 first time around) and you can defeat the cab sim and use IR's.
This time around I will be using the FM3 in conjunction with the SYN-30 for IR loader, post FX. I'll also use it in front or 4CM including MIDI channel switching.
The Fractal stuff sounds amazing, but FRFR will never come close to a real amp.
I will also be testing FM3 into the FX return of the SYN-30 as well.
There is a place for both, but with tons of hands on with the Synergy stuff -- including gigging a lot -- I can tell you it's pretty killer!

Meh... Synergy is pretty kick ass as far as a tube solution goes. I have the SYN-30 combo with a REAL 6L6 clean tone onboard that sounds excellent. I'm using the Friedman Dirty Shirley module for broken up tones and the second channel for rock leads and it kicks total ass. A KILLER 3 channel combo, perfect FX loop, MIDI controllable, analog cab simulated DI out (which is very good, made me actually sell the FM3 first time around) and you can defeat the cab sim and use IR's.
This time around I will be using the FM3 in conjunction with the SYN-30 for IR loader, post FX. I'll also use it in front or 4CM including MIDI channel switching.
The Fractal stuff sounds amazing, but FRFR will never come close to a real amp.
I will also be testing FM3 into the FX return of the SYN-30 as well.
There is a place for both, but with tons of hands on with the Synergy stuff -- including gigging a lot -- I can tell you it's pretty killer!
Same here , AX8 4CM + Synergy syn30 +Syn2 + 3 modules unbeatable ...

I feel the mistake some people make in this thread is that they try to think of the Synergy as a modeler. It's not, it's more of a "build your own amp channels" thing. If you think of it from that point of view rather than its modules being 1:1 match for various amps it's fine.

If anything the Synergy system is more limited by using the same cab. If I hook up my FM3 to my Fryette PS-100 and my favorite cabs, it makes no sense to have 200+ amp models because the cab will diminish how authentic and different those can sound. Sure, that Vox AC30 model will still sound great but it won't sound like a Vox AC30 combo if I am running through a 4x12 with V30s.

Back
Top Bottom