Axe-Fx 3 > Poweramp Fryette Powerstation > Celestion F12 X200

neale dunham

Experienced
Might need a very experienced AF user on this one.....

So I have decided to give the Celestion f12 x200 speaker a whirl.
Not impressed thus far. Through my Af3 as soon as as I turn up the volume on the power amp to gig volume the speaker sounds as if its blown?? especially on lead sounds. art lower levels it seems ok?
Weirdly, I have transferred the speaker to a different speaker enclosure and the problem still persists, plugged a conventional amp head into the F12 X200 and the problem has gone.
So, I dont think it's the speaker or the power amp or the enclosure.

Something not configured correctly on the af3 I suspect, but not sure what?

Power amp sims and Cab sims are on.

F12 is designed to be used with IRs (cab sims).

I have one here, and I'm not impressed. I've wondered if mine is broken because it sounds so bad.

There's nothing in the Axe-Fx 3 that needs to be configured to make this speaker work, except for using a cab. Amp block parameters can be fine-tuned for better sound, but that's just fine-tuning.

I have read a lot of reports of this. Yet I use mine in a closed back 112 and I love it? I must be weird :)

From all that I have read; it does not like to be underpowered. It does have a built in horn and that is definitely going to bring the harshness to the table.

Might need a very experienced AF user on this one.....

So I have decided to give the Celestion f12 x200 speaker a whirl.
Not impressed thus far. Through my Af3 as soon as as I turn up the volume on the power amp to gig volume the speaker sounds as if its blown?? especially on lead sounds. art lower levels it seems ok?
Weirdly, I have transferred the speaker to a different speaker enclosure and the problem still persists, plugged a conventional amp head into the F12 X200 and the problem has gone.
So, I dont think it's the speaker or the power amp or the enclosure.

Something not configured correctly on the af3 I suspect, but not sure what?

Power amp sims and Cab sims are on.
I tried a ton of various options. Xitone powered cab solved my G.A.S. Look at their site.

Thats really odd Yek,

Yes my Cab sims are on too.

Strange that you are experiencing similar issues.

I wonder why the speaker performs perfectly if you use a conventional amp head? A speaker is a speaker right???

I have contacted Celestion to see what they say.

Its almost as if the F12 is producing frequencies that the Af3 is sending that other speakers are ignoring or not frequency spec'd for.

Although that doesn't seem to make much sense, as surely, other FrFr speakers would react in the same way such as Atomic and Gemini etc.

Maybe there is a compatibility issue somewhere???

Contrary to what Jiveturkey has written, my speaker seems to work better at low power and definitely does not like being pumped over about 30watts???

Really Confused here. Poor show from Celestion if this is a hardware issue.

Reactions: JTI
FWIW; a traditional amplifier should sound terrible through it. It needs cabinet simulation to sound good.

Interesting that Yek and I have similar set ups and both report the same issues. I might try using another Power amp with the Axe and see if anything changes. Just to be sure its not the Powerstation. (Which I doubt it is) but its worth a try..... just out of curiosity more than anything else!

Strange that a traditional amp should sound better through this type of speaker?

What issues do you have with your Speaker Yek?

Sounds brittle and like crap. Been a while since I tested it. Still have it, but I'm satisfied with my current cabs and I'm not inclined to go through it again.

It's not the Axe-Fx, not the Power Station or any other power amp. And I'm pretty sure I wired it correctly.

Reactions: JTI
Do you remember if it sounded like that at various power levels?

Mine only seems to develop Psuedo "blown speaker" at high volumes.

In fact, a better description would be, its almost like as the power station approaches 50% volume my guitar sound turns into a mixture of Cab Sims Mixed with No Cab sims if that makes sense? The clean sounds develop a really harsh raspy distortion when you dig in and on the overdrive setting the effect is less noticeable but nevertheless its still there.

I have spoken to my supplier who asked me to return it for analysis by Celestion. I am going to try a couple more tests before doing so.

I am not surprised you haven't bothered to spend anymore time on this Yek. Very Disappointed, I really thought this would be the answer to the perfect system. The natural speakers sound way better than this speaker.

If Celestion check it over and tell me that there is nothing wrong with it, I will be demanding a refund.

I have two of those speakers in custom, ported 1x12 cabs, had them for nearly a year I guess so they must be from the earlier production run.

Both sound awesome for me at any volume, I use them paired with a Matrix GT1000FX.

I was warned when I had the cabinets made that without ports, a baffle and some wadding in the cab they would likely blow out as they produce a lot of low end.

The closest thing I’ve found to an issue with them turned out to be the level pot on the 2nd channel of the Matrix. Noticed one sounded a bit different to the other and isolated it to a jumpy, dirty pot as they were set identically but one acted super different to the other.

What cabinet do you have the speaker in, is there a port to release the pressure and some treatment to manage the frequency response?

Also it may be worth mentioning that I run the Matrix at about 2 o’clock which is pretty cranked then control the actual volume with the output on the Axe-Fx.

Last edited:
Up until Covid 19 i was using a Ax8 or Helix with a Matrix GT 800FX amp with a single Celestion F12 (with IR's of course) in a Celestion spec'd 1x12 cab and the sheer power, oomph, feel and tone blew even my trusty old CLR's away- they are now on PA duty :)

It truly is an epic sounding combo at all levels from home bedroom to back row wall of sound at a gig levels.

I hope you can sort out you issues.

All the best
Ben

That's odd. To me the F12x200 is the final solution to get an FRFR preset work in a band situation. It's not able to fix bad presets though and presets that don't work on my Yams HS7s will not get fixed by it, but it is able to make a good but otherwise boring preset come alive and inspire me playing, and that's a lot.

I guess yours is broken?

BTW this speaker is plenty loud. The wattage/ loudness impression is like with usual guitar combos, so 50W on that are already way beyond what even the kindest bandmates would accept in a rehearse room.

Sounds more and more like I have a duff speaker....

I dont run mine with a Matrix however, I use a Fryette Powerstation Valve amp. Ive used my Axe 3 with a Friedman ASC12 in the past so I guess I can rule out the Axe and bad presets??

I will see if I can contact Celestion...

Thanks guys

Is the Friedman flat enough? You should always check your presets (or at least some that you take as reference) on different systems before relying on them.
I have never played an ASC 12 but I think I read somewhere it's a bit mid scooped?

The point I am making is that the Presets in the axe fx worked perfectly on Frfr systems in the past including Matrix gear that I have owned.

The only Frfr problem I have ever encountered is with this speaker.

I have contacted Yek on here who has a very similar system to me and he has similar issues with this speaker. He says there is nothing within the Axe fx or the Poweramp that can be changed with regards to Ir's or EQ etc that will cure this issue.

If the speaker just sounded flat or dull or what ever, I could live with that as I know how to make it sound brilliant. But trying to cure a Speaker that sounds blown is probably not possible...... I am starting to realise.

Back
Top Bottom