Axe-Fx 3 or FM3, you tell me please

Emt142

Hello all, I am new here and have a question to all axe fx 3 owners. In your opinion should I go all out and purchase the 3 or hold out on the FM3? I do not record and only play live to backing tracks. Although recording may happen someday. The reason I ask is because I know I will probably not use the 3 to it’s full potential so will the FM3 be enough? Thanks and God Bless.

I was going to hold out for the FM3 but my willpower wasn't there, I went with the AxeFx III and glad I did. I don't do much recording but I'm trying to change that. With that said, I could probably get by with the FM3 and it sure would be easier to take to my gigs.

Like you, even if I don't use the AxeFX III to it's full potential, I know that at any time it could handle whatever I throw at it.

Forgetting the processing power, do you want a device that lives on the floor or in a rack? I’m sure I would be fine with either, but I bought the III because it was available and simply couldn’t be a bad choice.

Myself I would get the lll,,It will be there for any smaller projects u have right now and it will be there for the biggest projects u could ever think of in the future,,,,, good luck on ur choice!

It sounds like you would be happy with the FM3, but the waitlist for it is very long so it may take a while for your number to be pulled. If you can wait that long, then get the FM3. If not, get an axe fx 3 and start jamming NOW!

Last edited:
I got the AxeFX III, which has proven versatile enough to get any sound I have asked of it so far.

The entire '80s - '90s "best of" collection of sounds from my rack gear days, through many iterations and much tweaking was replicated and bettered in one preset.

Now to do something with the other 500-ish presets.... o_O

Hi,

The Axe FX III is available - a very important point.

Thanks
Pauly

Hello all, I am new here and have a question to all axe fx 3 owners. In your opinion should I go all out and purchase the 3 or hold out on the FM3? I do not record and only play live to backing tracks. Although recording may happen someday. The reason I ask is because I know I will probably not use the 3 to it’s full potential so will the FM3 be enough? Thanks and God Bless.

I agree that, aside from cost, form factor is probably the most important consideration. Do you need the versatility and portability of a floor unit?

The second consideration you should make is the kind of sounds you're going for. Are you a meat and potatoes kind of guy (drive, amp, cab, delay, chorus, reverb) or are you closer to somebody like Dweezil Zappa who goes nuts with effects? In a single patch, the FM3 will be able to do pretty much any traditional Amp+Cab rig plus staple effects like delay, reverb, chrous. The Axe-Fx III however can do that plus all kinds of crazy routing and has the CPU to support multiple instances of almost everything. Each patch in the III has the room to let you get pretty nuts. The FM3 will "merely" let you do only one or two nuts things per patch. You'll still be able to do neat tricks with scenes and automation and stuff, but you'll be doing those things under tighter constraints. Personally, I own an Axe-Fx III but I'd be just fine with an FM3. I'm more of a meat and potatoes guy. But, it's nice not really having to really worry about hitting the ceiling when I'm building sounds.

The biggest practical difference summed up, performance wise, is going to be that with the Axe-Fx III, you'll have an easier time making "kitchen sink" patches with everything you could want in them. With the FM3, you'll need to work with a larger number of patches to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom