Axe Fx 3 needs to have a dedicated cab output.

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
I think one unfortunate limitation of the Axe Fx 2 is the fact that if one wants to run a real cabinet and and go direct they need to use up their effects loop (or at least one side of it) to send their pre Cab Block signal to the power amp and cabinet. It would be great if this could be remedied with future products. Even a second stereo fx loop would be sufficient for this. Just saying. I think it would a great step forward.

Anyone else have trouble running live cab, direct FRFR and external effects?

I suspect the number of people doing all three of those is quite small as a proportion of the universe of users.

There's always outboard IR on the FOH send, I guess.

I think one unfortunate limitation of the Axe Fx 2 is the fact that if one wants to run a real cabinet and and go direct they need to use up their effects loop (or at least one side of it) to send their pre Cab Block signal to the power amp and cabinet. It would be great if this could be remedied with future products. Even a second stereo fx loop would be sufficient for this. Just saying. I think it would a great step forward.

Anyone else have trouble running live cab, direct FRFR and external effects?

I agree.

I know there have been some that suggested things like putting the cab block last in the chain (after the reverb e.g.) so you can work around it. Honestly, to me it just doesn't sound good.

With all the possible routing use cases, and probably some Fractal never even saw coming... I think a lot was learned with this product. I'm willing to bet whatever comes next will address this, and surely a myriad of stuff we haven't even dream possible.

I know there have been some that suggested things like putting the cab block last in the chain (after the reverb e.g.) so you can work around it. Honestly, to me it just doesn't sound good.
there really should be no difference in sound. make sure you use a Stereo cab block if you use stereo anything before the cab block, like reverb. other than that, it's not a workaround, but the current implementation. :)

What I've managed to do as a work around is run my set up as mono and pan the Cab Block (last in chain on row 2) left and run a parallel Volume Block (last in chain on row 3) and pan it right. That way the output mixer is getting Cab Sim signal in the left output and Non Cab signal on the right.

From the outputs on the back I go Left balanced direct to the desk and unbalanced right to the power amp and cabinet. One draw back from this is that the output one dial will affect the direct level but also the level hitting the power amp. it would be preferable to have independant controls for each. But of course you can attenuate the level in the Volume Block before it hits the power amp but again if you change your direct level to the desk it will also increase the level hitting the power amp.

It would be sooooo good if the unbalanced outs could be reconfigured to be a separate output but I doubt this is possible.

I suspect the number of people doing all three of those is quite small as a proportion of the universe of users.

There's always outboard IR on the FOH send, I guess.

Most of the pros are running cabs for live use and going direct to FOH. It is not very few people doing this. It would be great if one did not have to sacrifice their FX Loop to be able to do this.

I would like it if the global Cab Bypass could be selectable for Output 1, 2, or both. I've wished for that since the Ultra days.

I think this is an excellent idea, but what I envision is a simple output (or stereo outputs) that read the entire signal chain minus the cab block.

I would imagine that to be DSP heavy, essentially recreating most of the signal path without latency, but it would be valuable to some of us.

I would like it if the global Cab Bypass could be selectable for Output 1, 2, or both. I've wished for that since the Ultra days.
I don't think that's even possible, unless every block after the cab block is computed twice, once for a cab'ed signal and once for the non cab'ed signal. It's like having two of each block after... Which is something you can already do...

Back
Top Bottom