AXE FX 3 MARK1 VS MARK 2

The hip "Yeah, I know what I got but I don't got to use it all" attitude: One kitchen sink preset and the knowledge that you could store over 1000 more if you wanted but you don't. Instead, you prefer to run super lean with all that horsepower to spare because that's how the real cool Mk II cats roll.
Yeah one size surely does not fit all. Personally it depends on the gig for me. My tribute thing, I had probably 5-6 patches, trying to cover each era of the band. Variety band totally different. I touch at most 20 presets. Now some guys like to buy these packs and load it up, and that's cool, but at the rate that changes happen with the firmware, I'd hate to have to modify hundreds of patches.

True. But even then, I’d be willing to bet that was a one-time thing for that demo/video. In one aspect, I can’t talk, because if I had the cash, I would have hundreds of guitars. I LOVE guitars. I can just admit that I want them simply because I like guitars without trying to convince anyone I have an actual need for a ton of guitars.
Imagine having a thousand guitars, but your room can only fit a few so the rest of them are in storage. If you were just noodling around trying to decide which guitar to use on a recording, it'd be a hassle to have to try a few, move them into the storage room, and drag a few more out to try. Much easier if you simply had a huge room and could grab any of your guitars at will. That's how I see preset storage. I don't need a thousand presets on my Axe-Fx, but I wouldn't mind having the space for them.

No; Fractal power: I've never lost any presets stored in the unit, but better safe than sorry.
No, I meant about backing up in general, looking for something and thinking... hmm... that was there the other day and I don't remember deleting it, and from then on having a duplicate set somewhere. I sync to Google, and do automatic backups to a spare drive 'cause I learned my lesson really well, twice. :)

I make a preset per amp when I'm tone chasing but one or two presets will cover me 99% of the time and also have five very different guitars, one of which is a very bright tele so it gets it's own presets with darker IRs and filtering.
Mk2 doesn't matter to Mk1 users and IR slots don't matter if you have a computer. It would be cool to have external usb storage on the Axe though and wifi or bluetooth with ipad AxeEdit maybe for Mk3?
Oh and four amps and 96k.
Also FX block preset exchange and so on.
Please forgive me.

I saw someone here selling their Mark I. I'm not sure how much less I would pay for the Mark I vs the Mark II. I'm not even sure a fair price difference between them would be $500; given that Cliff is apt to use that extra flash memory for something really extraordinary. The increased preset count isn't a big deal; nor for me is the viewing improvement. But Cliff's firmware tinkering...

I saw someone here selling their Mark I. I'm not sure how much less I would pay for the Mark I vs the Mark II. I'm not even sure a fair price difference between them would be $500; given that Cliff is apt to use that extra flash memory for something really extraordinary. The increased preset count isn't a big deal; nor for me is the viewing improvement. But Cliff's firmware tinkering...
Who knows. I’m sitting out the MKII. I’m expecting the IV will be a big bump up in performance so I’ll wait for that.

Good point! In a side by side boot test between the two which makes the finish line first? And by how much.

Even if I don’t use them all , with factory presets and my own, my 500 slots are already full at 95%. Some day I need to erase some factory presets to have some space . So 500+ is cool . It goes fast . I have the mk1 the 2 didn’t exist when I purchase it . I won’t sold it for it hm .

I bought a second hand MK1 on here. Couldn't be happier. I'll never get to fill 500 presets because I simply enjoy tinkering with amp settings too much.

Having brought all my presets over from the Axe II I'm glad for the extra preset space. I would have still bought a mk 1 though, it's not a dealbreaker, just a nice to have.

I would go for the mark 2. Fractal has plans for the added memory and I would be annoyed if I had just bought a mark 1 and then they introduce something “fun” you can do with that memory.
I am also someone who finds it hard to make choices sometimes. That is why the extra preset room is very welcome to me.

There’s no sound difference, and the operational differences are well defined. If the new things matter, or you’re spending anywhere close to the same money, get the newer one. If not, get either one… there’s no “bad” option here.

Or you might want to wait on the MK III. Or the Axe Fx IV that comes with the FC-18 MK V. As long as C.C. is running the business you can count on two things:

1. There will be new things, and;
2. The old things will sound better than everyone else’s new things.

Back
Top Bottom