Axe-Fx 3 & Kemper users advice

One other option to consider is to use the Fractal Reactive Load Box and AF3 together as this gives you the best of both worlds with your existing amps. There are players on this forum like Guitarjon who put their real amps in the FX Loop of the AF3 whcih allows you to use all the AF3 effect before and after the amp, load any IR you want to use with your amp, and interface using the USB to your DAW. You can then crank your amps and still play at bedroom volumes or record without the neighbors killing you.

As an ex Kemper owner and a brand new Axe Fx III owner (only 1 month), this is my perspective.

5 years ago I went through this very exercise of deciding which unit I wanted to get. The Kemper is a fantastic unit. It creates a fantastic profile of an amp and its very particular settings and set up at the time of profiling.

With that said, I decided to get a Kemper because certainly someone out there will profile an amp at the exact settings I like. (I was looking for a very specific boogie mark series tone). This is where the idea of profiles didn't work for me. Amps are very personal, and while I could find profiles in the ballpark of the tone I was craving, I could only find ones that were maybe 80-90% of the way there. Ok, well, that's fine. I will tweak and adjust as needed....well, this is where it sorta failed pretty hard for me. The more I would tweak these profiles, the more digital and synthetic they would start to feel and sound.

After several years of this, I decided that, even if I get caught in endless menus and tweaking hell with a "modeling" style amplifier, at least maybe I can get the actual tone I want, even if it requires hours and hours of tweaking. I sold the Kemper and bought the Axe. I had heard the Axe had best in class modelling and effects, so I figured I would try it out.

1 month in, and oh my.. I can't even begin to explain the giddiness of getting the tones I've been searching years for...and without the endless tweaking I was worried a modeler requires. This thing is absolutely fantastic. I've dialed in a better tone than I get out of my Boogie Mark V 25, and waaaaay better than the Kemper. Maybe 20 minutes to get that tone.

In short, I love this thing. So far, best choice I've made in my entire music career as a bedroom player. Huge respect for the team at fractal and their frequent updates. Only one month in, this unit has gotten better with fimware updates. I also want to give a shout out to Leon Todd. Check his YouTube vids. Helped me tremendously with dialing in some fantastic tones.

Great story, thanks for sharing and welcome to the Forum!!

Back
Top Bottom